My first few weeks

how often, how intense?

3 messages
10/02/2013 at 20:00

Hi,

I used to run years ago but that's history! Now I'm overweight (6.13ft - 16.7 stones) and suffering from few health problems (lower back problems / varicose vains / minor knee problems/overpronation). At this point running seems to be very painful and exhaustive! But I'm ready for that, no one said it was going to be easy start Anyway I was wondering if I could get some advice in terms of intensity and frequency. I try to stick to one of available plans (1min run - 90sec walk - repeat x8 times and so on) and run every 2 days. After a week I feel quite annoying shin pain. My question is: do I keep running every 2 days or do I make longer brakes between runs? Also how do I tell a difference between normal pain that's caused by running for first time in years and injury pain that could be caused by wrong running technique / wrong shoes etc. (asics evolution gel 5). Thanks for help and advice!

10/02/2013 at 20:07
Best advice I could give is simply 10% increase on distance. So 5 miles this week means 5.5 miles next week. Slow steady and easy and it won't take you too long to get back into it...... Good luck!
11/02/2013 at 01:39

Did you get advice on your shoes? If not, it's worth a visit to a proper running shop.

My feeling is that, if you're getting some shin pain, consider having  a few days off, then find a plan that uses walking for a while. It sounds like your legs are reacting to the repetitive stresses of thud thud thud. So building up the strength by some planned walking for maybe 3 or 4 weeks might be a good idea... before getting back into your current programme.  well done and good luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.