my progress, my goals

Marines

21 to 22 of 22 messages
Psi
07/11/2002 at 02:10
Just a caution about that last one. Don't get too ambitious. They've seen it all before at Lympstone and no matter how fit you are, you will not be as fit at this stage as a Royal Marines Commando. Remember, they're after all-round potential, not superhuman performance. Maintain a high level of fitness, sure (occasional tabs are a good idea; i go about once every few weeks with between 10 and 30KG for a day's tabbing in the peaks) but if you don't pass the non-physical tests they set, you can be as fit as you like - but you're not getting to go to Lympstone.

Having said that, obviously you should still make sure your physical preparations are adequate. I don't think you need to be able to run 3M in sub 15 minutes however; that is the type of goal that would mean you'd have to devote too much time to specific training for it, and not enough to other fitness, or character development.

Remember to read newspapers and have an idea about what's going on in the world. They're looking for switched-on potential future Marines and maybe leaders; not robots. Have an idea of RM history, as well. All this knowledge helps.

Do not, though, be fooled into the belief that preparing for RM selection involves nothing but loads of superhuman phys; firstly they're looking for a lot more than just the physical side, and secondly they're not necessarily after the finished product; just the solid potential.

07/11/2002 at 08:40
Yes but not too "solid" eh !!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.