My progress

Am I doin' it right?

6 messages
04/05/2013 at 20:12

Hey guys first post. 

Been running for a week now. Had a rest day on Monday. Apart from that I've been running exactly 1.07 miles each day. At the start of the week I was at 11:10 and yesterday was my fastest so far at 9:33. In total, I've ran 6.14 miles this week. 

Is that okay for a beginner? I know it's not that far but I'm worried that I might injure myself if I'm running every day. Would that be a problem seeing as I'm not running that far each day? Next week I plan on taking three rest days. 

How should I proceed? Stick with my same route next week? Try for faster or longer? 

Thanks. 

04/05/2013 at 20:56

Hi lee, 

wouldnt worry about speed at all for the time being. totaly fine for a beginner, but yes have some rest days in between as its going to play havoc on your muscles.

use the 10% rule. 

M...eldy    pirate
04/05/2013 at 21:34

Have a look at the beginners index on here under 'Training' tab in red

or google 'couch to 5k'

Either will give you an idea on how to progress and how a beginners training plan should look

Keep up the good work

04/05/2013 at 21:41

I'd have thought 3 to 4 days a week maximum to begin with, just try not to overdo it as that leads to more injuries, which lead to people giving up.

06/05/2013 at 12:33

Ok thanks guys. I didn't run yesterday and I'm not running today, despite really wanting to! Gunna go tomorrow though. 

07/05/2013 at 13:02

Hi all, Im very new to running regularly (about 2 mnths now) and have worked up to running 3 miles non stop (in about 30mins). Two things, is this decent progress? Ihave no idea lol and also Im running to (help) lose weight, but seemed to have stalled, I ran 3 miles every day for 6 days last week, would my legs be putting on muscle at those rates (and hence my apparent weight stall?) or wouold I expect to just see my legs toning up?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.