My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

tracking how a relative beginner gets on with trying to get a 10k of under 1hr

601 to 620 of 876 messages
18/01/2008 at 12:49

As I approach the end of week 4 of marathon training, I can feel my overweight lazy body starting to respond to its regular punishment, slowly but surely. 10k isn't the death sentence it used to be, and 5k seems like a frivilous distance now

18/01/2008 at 13:03

Pete,

couldn't have put it better myself - I can relate totally to everything you say.   You're very brave doing the full marathon - the half seems daunting at the moment. 

adbru    pirate
18/01/2008 at 21:15

Well done guys, good to hear everyone getting out there

I'm planning a 10k on Feb10th in Fort William, this will be my first race since beginning of Nov.

Aiming to use it as a training run, aiming to get back under 60 mins. my Pb from last sept is 57:50.

Still very icy up here so my 5 miles was a trial today !!

Stay safe

Adbru 

22/01/2008 at 11:50
Getting close now - knocked 4 mins off the PB this morning and did 10k in 1:03:33.
22/01/2008 at 11:55

PeteDaddy - in a race situation, you'd smash 60 mins.

The adrenaline makes a huge huge difference.

I was getting high 40s (mins) on my practise runs and got 44m (including about 2 mins lost to a marshalling error)  on a real race- however once the adrenaline wore off, I couldn't stand for ages!

22/01/2008 at 12:12

Thanks Matt

I despair though when I calculate just how much faster I'd have to go to get 'high 40s'. yikes  

22/01/2008 at 12:25

Pete - don't worry. I'm a slightly weird exercise loon who took up running last June.

Get yourself signed up to a race if you can - very satisfying but expect your legs to be out of action for several days afterwards - mine were terrible! 

23/01/2008 at 14:01
Oh I've been in several 10ks since I started running Matt Usually clock in at about 1hr 10 or a little under, but my last one was a while ago so I'm hoping for more next time!
23/01/2008 at 14:21

Oops - sorry Pete - I'm not the best at keeping up!

I've done two and the second one (44m07s but should have been about 42mins -  marshalls sent us the wrong way!!) went a lot better than the first (52m27s - insanely muddy and hilly though). Felt like expiring on both though! 

I'm sure you'll crack the hour soon. 

23/01/2008 at 22:26

Hi everyone

plenty of gentle training will do it all nicely, speed will come with time and fitness

my solo 10k best 20 years ago was around 34.30

my best now pushing Phillip in his wheelchair is 46.30

our slowest 10k on a very hilly course in the heat of summer is about 58 minutes

so, if we can do it, with concentration , dedication, and focus, and sheer will all of you can

Enjoy it .. Feel Free !!!!!

micknphil-marathonlads.co.uk

24/01/2008 at 07:56
Mick and Phil, that gives me something to aim for, your 10k time is the same as my 5k time and you've got the addition of the wheelchair!

Well done, you look like you were both enjoying yourselves so much! Its going to give me something to aim for 10k in under 60 here I come!
24/01/2008 at 10:24

10k in 43 minutes?! 

That'll teach me to think I was semi quick

24/01/2008 at 10:24

And maybe dyslexic too!

I meant 34 minutes!!  

28/01/2008 at 16:16

Mick and Phil that some going, well done. No reason for any of us not to do it!!! Sticking to my plan and finshed a good 8 miles last week and feel pretty pleased with that. Slowly but surely each run is getting easier. I have tried the early morning run and evening and find if I do one of each and my long run on the Sun it seems to work great! Well it works for me.

Sticking to it NBFS!

28/01/2008 at 19:01
34 minutes is insanely fast, but an amazing effort. I've seen mick'n'phil's story here and there a few times. Their speed is phenomenal
28/01/2008 at 19:52

Denise

that famous phrase in running i'm afaid

we'll it works for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like pure GOLD

and that's all that mattters !

28/01/2008 at 19:53

Hi Pete daddy

hoping all's well with you

08/02/2008 at 08:16

Hi Denise,

sounds like you're doing really well - putting me to shame at the moment I'm afraid.  Problem is I keep going on holiday - just back from a trip to the far east.  Managed to run a little on the treadmill - did about 23K in 10 days which is nowhere near enough.  Plan is to run a little tonight - assuming I can stay awake later than 6.00 PM due to jet lag.  Then back out Sunday for 5 or 6 miles - I'm hoping then I can pick up the schedule next week.  It will be quite strange running out in the cold - humidity in Thailand was 85% and the temperature about 90 degrees so it was definately a different experience running in those conditions - I'm actually looking forward to getting out in the cold air!

Micknphil - can't even begin to comprehend how you manage those sort of times - inspirational stuff!

NBFS 

08/02/2008 at 08:35

Micknphil,

since posting my message above I have just had a look at your website - you guys really are an inspiration.  To see joy on Phillip's face at the end of a run just shows the power of running - it really can be life changing for so many reasons.  Your words of encouragement above really do make such a difference to people like me that plod around trying to get a little bit fitter and a little bit faster. 

I do find this website so useful to give me that little bit of a push from time to time when I'm struggling to stay focused - thanks all and keep running!

NBFS

11/02/2008 at 09:13

Morning NRFS,

I totally agree that this site gives you that focus you sometimes need!!! It was a lovely day yesterday and the running was good! I say good as I had a glass of wine to many the night before and so struggled on. Sounds like you get about a bit and so I can imagine that running in these nice 'fresh' conditions may be better. I couldn't run in that heat! Now you seem to be picking up the pace and I really need to get my legs in gear this week.

Have a cracking week all,

Micknphil 'it works for me ha ha'

Denise

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.