My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

tracking how a relative beginner gets on with trying to get a 10k of under 1hr

841 to 860 of 876 messages
Pethead    pirate
30/06/2008 at 19:24

Hello all, haven't seen this thread for a while.

My exams are done and a 6th form is chosen, but there was a pretty noticeable mix-up at that track meet - They gave me my (veteran) team-mate's time of 2:36 when really I ran closer to 2:18 

5K off-road in 2 weeks, then my 10K in 4 weeks, I'm actually quite looking forward to it even though it's a 9:30AM start!

Good luck everybody with whatever you choose to do next.

Edited: 30/06/2008 at 19:25
02/07/2008 at 12:16

I'm trying to add some faster running into my schedule, so this morning I managed to run my 3.5 mile loop in 28:56, which is a PB for me by about 30 seconds

It is really hard to run outside of the 'comfort zone' pace that I'm usually a, hopefully that will get easier/faster as i do it more often. Going to try for at least once a week.

02/07/2008 at 14:18

Colin  - this is the 6 Moor Miles run:

http://www.plymouthharriers.org/6%20Moor%20Miles.html 

07/07/2008 at 20:01

Hi Everyone!

How's it going? I'm still plodding (limping nicely!) and feel terribly unprepared for Sunday's "^ Moor Miles"! I've decided to rear it as a fun run - and if I don't come last I will start to believe in miracles! )

Anyone broken any records recently? 

07/07/2008 at 20:10

DP - I'm race  number 283 for the Moor Miles.

Did a super wet, slippery and quite foul 10k yesterday - had to almost walk the worst bits (very slippery roots) and got 48m 13s. Bit poor -hoping it's drier for the weekend - really am very bad at wet mud running! 

Have you got your number yet? 

11/07/2008 at 16:39

Hi Matt

Sorry - been away for a while - we are 193 & 194 (me and OH) - hope we catch sight of you at some stage!

Pethead    pirate
11/07/2008 at 22:11

Good luck in the Moor Mles guys/girls!

No, no records broken yet DP - Wanted 2:15 for 800m on the 2nd, but it didn't happen, ended up in the high 2:18s. Oh well, I'm now turning attention to 5K this weekend, could be pretty wet over here, provided I stay right way up I want under 20 minutes, which isn't impossible if the course is as un-hilly as they say.

12/07/2008 at 14:26

Thanks Pethead - I'm going to need lots of luck! Bessy mate and OH are being very supported and have both pledged to stay behind with me (and the gammy leg) so I'm not completely embarrssed!

Good luck with your 5k - hope it's not too wet for you!

13/07/2008 at 18:46

DP - did you run?

I'm knackered!

Extremely well organised event I thought.

Got 50th out of about 400-450 runners but they nearly all looked like serious club runners to me (club vests)!

Got 48m29s averaging 7m27s a mile - it was a tough one though!

13/07/2008 at 19:06

Hi Matt

Well, I wouldn't call it "running" but I hobbed my way around! the terrain was not good for the leg, but I finsihed in just over an hour and a half - my Nike+ made it 11.05km - which is a record distance for me!

Excellent time and placing Matt - terrific job.  

I agree - it was really well organised, and everyone was so supportive. I even had a paramedic with me at one point trying to tell me to give up - you have to be joking! I don't give up!

I thought about you when I was going through that lovely wood - I thought you would be in your element there! Bit slippy dippy in places, and I loved the water jumps! Great time - enjoyed it, but my legs are shot now. Sat with a cup of coffee, laptop and athletics on the box. I'm not going anywhere! 

Well done you - enjoy the medal (nice init!) 

Pethead    pirate
13/07/2008 at 19:28

Well done in the Moor Miles DP, 11K is no mean feat!

Your luck obviously worked for my 5K, the weather was lovely, and most of the better runners seemed to have been at the English Schools, or at a local track meet, or saving themselves for tomorrow's 10K. This made me one of the quickest ones left, and I managed to get a win!

13/07/2008 at 20:10

DP- I was amazed at how much kit they gave out - decent running top. nice banana, a medal and other bits too! 

Nice one for getting round - really was hard work. I was flat on my back for a good 10 mins after I finished trying to recover.

Oh and I got a free massage too -  AND (!) was filmed by a proper TV camera while having it!!!

14/07/2008 at 14:20

I managed a new PB on Friday at the Crown Classic, 48:06 official time, and the course was "undulating" to say the least!

Did a 1hr 54 half, and got the Wolves half on 7th Sept.

20/07/2008 at 11:37

Hi Folks!

Well done Pethead & Dave - great going! We seem to be doing rather well this year!

Where's Colin? Colin - how you doing?

I've given up races for this year - awaiting the leg being fixed, no point in flogging a dead horse! Watch this space for next season though!  

21/07/2008 at 15:48

DP - what needs doing? How bad is it?

My physio friend really helped my slightly knackered knee. Still gives me occasional stick but was fine on that 11k death run! Shame the lungs weren't working properly....  

Dave - that's damn good going!
22/07/2008 at 15:29

Hi all

Didn't make the 6 moor miles - well done Matt on great result and well done DP on not giving in - takes guts that does.

Still running around and about - last night I ran from Combe Martin to Ilfracombe along the coastal path. Absolutely stunning scenery, you are right on the cliffs (scary drops if you look over) and the most beastly steep hills and descents possible. The path seems to be wilfully nasty, as it goes around a headland for a half mile only to end up about 100m from where you started, or dropping down to the waters edge, only to make an abrupt left and go all the way back up. It was only 5 miles, but my leg muscles were like iron by the end.

Out of interest - does anyone ever have 'Sport' massages? And are they useful? My legs sometimes feel quite 'tight' and knotted and I thought it might help...

22/07/2008 at 18:12

The 6 moor miles sounds absolutely awful, I hardly ever venture onto grass let alone mud.

Did a 5k at the weekend on the spur of the moment and got 28.22, so I think I might have to set myself the goal of 5k in 25 for next year, which I think should be doable if I can get my mileage up a bit from the 15-20k a week it currently is.

I hope everyone else has been having good runs (if not races) this week.

23/07/2008 at 16:57

No runs for me - just the daily cycle (10 miles - hilly) bit of weights and LOTS of surf!

Planning a run on Friday. 

Grast - it was half fun, half awful! 

25/07/2008 at 09:44

Hi All

Good to hear from you Colin - the coastal path sounds wonderful - did you do that Lynton one Matt? That was around that area and it's mean hills!

Leg needs an operation - I have chronic compartment syndrome - basically the muscle sheath isn't big enough and it can't expand when exercising. It just goes solid and then my foot goes to sleep! They cut it open - sounds nasty but it does work - 4-6 weeks and you are back in business!

<Rant>
Still waiting for the Consultant to "write" to me though. Why do they live in the dark ages? It's 4 weeks on Monday since I had the tests - they were to be sent to the Consultant and then he was due to contact me with the next appointment. Yawwnn - 4 weeks! I mean, that's ages! Meanwhile, he said no running - I didn't listen - but how do they expect you to put your life on hold until they deem to "write" to you.
</Rant>

It means I can't enter any more races until I know what's going on - I'd love to go to the Cancer Research 10k at Lanhydrock or Powderham, but I can't plan anything.

Meanwhile, I'm sticking to plodding around the lanes!

Happy weekend running all - anyone racing?

Pethead    pirate
25/07/2008 at 10:16

Indeed I am racing! Great Wales Run is on Sunday,  got my number, chip + info delivered last week, did my last pre-race training yesterday, and I think everything looks good.

Because 10K is a long distance for me I'm going for the softly-softly approach - Nice steady start and no rushing off as I figure I'll then have the best part of an hour to overtake people if I can. 

841 to 860 of 876 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.