Need advice

Failed once, trying again

21 to 29 of 29 messages
Duck Girl    pirate
28/03/2005 at 19:56
& when you get really good at that, you could do what Hippo does & do ultras!

don't despair - i was always the slowest kid at school. Now i've got a Good For Age place for London mara :)
so miracles do happen!
28/03/2005 at 21:40
Plodding hippo - have you really done 18 marathons in only 3 years!!!?? Amazing - you must be dedicated, or mad!
28/03/2005 at 22:08
tehuti well done for getting out there. Please don't be downhearted about your ability. You are doing great. I can understand how you are feeling. But you will get there and we are all here to support you. I get great support on these forums and if it wasn't for the peeps on here I would not be getting out the door.

I used to run marathons etc and get to 20 miles before I walked but due to several years non running and massive weight gain now I can't even run 1 complete mile before I walk. I have been sticking to the 5 min run and 1 min walk and this has been working for me. Yesterday I managed 8.75 miles doing this albeit slowly. One month ago I would not have believed I could do it but the support and advice from everyone has really helped. I don't try to run past the 5 mins and always take my 1 min walk. Hopefully soon I will think about uping the 5 min run to 6 mins with a min walk and then a few weeks later will try for 7 mnins and 1 min and see how it goes.

Please keep up the good work and you will find it will come together again.
28/03/2005 at 22:22
Thanks all of you for your encouragement. Having read all your messages, I went out this evening and stuck strictly to 2 minutes run / 2 minutes walk all the way, even when I got landed with hills on two of the running bits. I did 5k in 43.5 minutes. I do feel virtuous now :) even though my partner pointed out that my speed is equal to some people's walking speed.
28/03/2005 at 23:04
tehuti - don't let speed worry you. I can only do 5k in the same time as you and my hubby says he canb walk faster than I run. I just ignore him now. Well done on getting out there.
LOK
28/03/2005 at 23:34
tehuti
i am a very slow runner and i am only 38

my best 5k time is 50mins and that was in a race!

i am short , so i guess my stride length is small , but apart from that i have no real excuse

i am just slow

i also did the beginners schedule over and over and then just chucked it out of the window

keep going

you are already faster than me!

keep going
LOK
28/03/2005 at 23:53
i am NOT mad---much

Look all Im saying is that if i can-anyone can
slow and steady
28/03/2005 at 23:55
Tehuti
i think thats a great time for starting back

My dad made similar omments to me about walking
yes-andmaybe YOu could walk quicker

but SOD them
you are a runer
we get it, you keep posting here, ad we will give you all you need
Try the working at it slowly thread on beginners-really nice peeps-wwho understand what its like at the beginning

or try spedys thread on health and injury-"too fat to run"
29/03/2005 at 02:07
SOD them indeed!

I just entered the Race for Life in Nottingham on 29th June. I've set up a sponsorship site and am sticking the URL in my sig. That way, I don't have to ask people directly, but am still publicising the matter. My goal is to train and try my utmost to get to a point that I can run that race with no walk breaks. I'm not making any promises on time though LOL!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.