Negative comments...

Oh the irony of them!!!

1 to 20 of 41 messages
29/09/2006 at 14:15
Today I was yet again warned that I could suddenly drop down dead from running. This happens every now and again, with friends & others telling me how running can just make you collapse and die.

The irony? Not one of these people told me that I was well on my way to an early grave when I used to weigh over 20 stone, drink like a fish and smoke at least 20-a-day. That seemed to be perfectly acceptable.

However, now I'm 7 stone lighter, a non smoker and not quite so much of a wine fiend, and even a member of a running club, I'm suddenly being given health advice.

Confused? You bet I am!
29/09/2006 at 14:17
I really must quote Corinthians GP again

"anyone who runs and is over 40 should be followed by an ambulance"
29/09/2006 at 14:20
LOL that always cracks me up...

AG
F8ck em! They are insecure.
Well done on the weight loss.
29/09/2006 at 14:20
Alison congratulations on your transformation.
you should be really proud of yourself.

As for the doubters they look for excuses not to get off their lazy butts and get out there.

You keep it up girl.
29/09/2006 at 14:24
How's it go 'with friends like that.....'?!

Keep it up. They are only jealous and, quite frankly, saddos.

Stick with us chuck - we'll praise your achievements and give you encouragement!!

;o)
29/09/2006 at 14:25
well done alison- iv lost 5 stone, given up the fags and been running since march.

I love it when people start telling you "dont lose too much more wieght or you will start looking ill"

Please- after ten years im finally a picture of health!

Congrats
29/09/2006 at 14:26
For a minute I thought you meant Corinthians as in a Bible quotation PH then realised I don't think I've ever read about ambulances in the Bible!

Isn't it a sad state of society when being fat (which I still am really) and unhealthy is more acceptable than getting off your fat bottom and doing summat more interesting.

On a friday night me & hubby have a nice slow 6-7 miles and really enjoy it, but I'm told that I should be in the pub instead.

Mind you I do sometimes get a craving for Stella after a run... maybe I should combine the two!

29/09/2006 at 14:28
Pffft.. you can drop dead doing anything.. just keep up the good work. They are threatened by the changes in you and there inability to make those changes in themselves!

You have done really well so don't let the bell tollers bug you.
LOL!
take no bleedin notice Ali. Such statements are meaningless. Someone close to us died suddenly out of the blue-aged 14 and fit. Can you argue living is bad for you? -Spose you can but its daft.
29/09/2006 at 14:33
LOL Matilda and well done too. My hubby Lee also lost a lot of weight. He is now just slim & normal weight but everyone tells me accusingly how ill he looks (I think they think I'm starving him or nagging him to death!).

He does NOT look ill - they are just used to him looking FAT!

I think that some of our friends have taken comfort that we have always been the fattest, unhealthiest, least well off out of our group (because we run our own business in a pretty laid back, moral and happy manner and we're not materialistic!). We have sort of tried to distance ourselves now as they have problems with the change - the blokes don't like the fact that Lee takes a smaller waist size (men are the new women eh?). The girls ask me if I can now shop for clothes in "normal shops"!

It's funny how people pigeon hole you and then don't know what to do when you try to make positive changes!
29/09/2006 at 14:36
Well Alison much of what you say makes very good sense and it's very creditable that you've made so much progress. However, I can not support any lifestyle changes which head towards extremism, and that is the only way I can view your cutting back on wine and Stella. Help her please people, before it's too late!
29/09/2006 at 14:36
Alison your fan bloody tastic what is it with these non running types. Keep up the good work when they are negative just smile
knowing inside that your right and they are
wrong.
29/09/2006 at 14:41
someone asked me today if i get treated differently now iv lost weight and i had to say yes- strangely people assumed I was thick when i was overweight?? People actually listen to me when i speak now- myabe thats part of the self esteem thing tho aswell?

I think people take comfort when you are overweight and because it makes them feel better about themselves. I hate it when people start talking about someoner who has lost a lot of weight and saying "she has lost too much now- she looks ill" no she doesnt she looks bloody fantastic!!!
29/09/2006 at 14:49
...believe it or not, I called into my former village local pub one gala day, after having lost some weight, (I have been 18 stone) and someone actually said to my wife, 'bloody hell, I'll give him six weeks'.
29/09/2006 at 14:50
People fear change...
29/09/2006 at 15:45
dont you love that old chestnut "she/lost it too quickly, it'll all pile back on"
29/09/2006 at 17:14
AG - well done you! And everyone else, too! At 30 I was over 16st, smoked 40+ a day and was a desk jockey - I decided something had to be done. Gradually, I lost weight and got fit - some of my friends didn't like this, they didn't see me as me anymore. In 2004 I was made redundant so, at the grand old age of 44 I decided to train to become a personal trainer. Most of my friends have been very supportive and encouraging but some don't seem to be able to cope with the change, don't think I'm doing a "proper job", can't deal with the fact that I work shifts and because of this think I'm ignoring them when I'm not at home to listen to their woes.

AG, perhaps we should introduce our non-understanding friends to each other....I think they have a lot in common.

Keep up the good work!
29/09/2006 at 19:21
Alison-you go girl! you are so motivated and fantastic because you are enjoying the rewards -i remmeber you from a similar thread i started and im still getting upset by other peoples attitudes-even our local bus driver who passes me running a lot told me on tuesday i was getting to thin and looked ill and am i not taking this fitness nonsense a bit too far!!?!thursday she asked me to pleeeaaase give up-i said im training for a marathon?-and she said well i will expect to see some changes in you after that!?!-my mum and dad tut when theyfind out ive been out running and no-one seems to get it at all.Like you i have lost weight but i have gained a lot of muscle and fitter than i have ever been.It just seems it unsettles everyone and id love to understand why but just can't.i guess you gotta laugh at folks!
29/09/2006 at 19:26
why do people think they have the right to go up and make these comments in the first place
its as bad as going up to a fat person and saying"you shouldnt be eating that"
1 to 20 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.