New to running and the forum

19 messages
01/03/2010 at 11:21
Hi

I am a newbie. Just about to get back into running, started about 3 months ago but started all wrong, have spent the last month reading about training etc and am off for my first run in 10 minutes. Looking forward to getting into shape. Am using old trainers as suggested in one of the articles but if all goes well will get some nice new ones at the end of the month.

I am really excited to get to the point where you can just run and think about other things not thinking about how you are running and when to stop etc, I know its a long way off but still its exciting. Main reason for wanting to run is boredom of gym going and wanting to find a fun way to get fit and get out and about and maybe in the summer run a 5k charity run.

Sorry for going on and on just pretty excited.

Just looking for some advice really and to hear from people who have been here and got to where I wanna go so I know its possible, jsut seems so far away at the minute.

Thanks
Dean
01/03/2010 at 13:50

What do you want to know???  You haven't actually asked any questions in your post...

I started running as a way to improve my fitness/stamina for a black belt grading in kickboxing, I got the belt and ditched both the kickboxing (long story) and running (I found it too hard).  I had another attempt at the running after signing up for a Race For Life... but once I'd done the race I let the running slide as there wasnt a reason to do it... Then the following year (2008), I decided I'd do the RFL again and I'd sign up for a 10k later in the year to keep me motivated... It worked, I haven't side-lined the running since and I'm currently training for my 1st marathon in May.  If I can do it, anyone can.

01/03/2010 at 13:57
Thats great Caz.

Sorry you're right I didn't ask any questions. First thing I'd like to know is what should I record in my 'running diary'??

Thanks

Dean
01/03/2010 at 14:27

Go for it Dean. In my first year of running (at aged 38) I did a half-marathon. The next year I did my first marathon with a total of about 600km of training in 18 weeks as preparation. Running is great if you learn how to avoid injury by training and resting properly, eating right and learning how to keep on being motivated through it (setting appropriate goals). Health and fitness wise, I'm transformed and this running thing can be as good as you want to make it.

There are some great online tools for training logs. I enjoy using Sport Tracks from www.zonefivesoftware.com (free to download and use) but people have other favourites. If you progress to buying a watch that can monitor GPS and heart rates and all that 'jazz' it integrates nicely.  But for now, just get out and run a bit, enjoy the feeling of making your lungs and muscles work.

Best wishes, TD

01/03/2010 at 14:52

I havent really kept a running log, in some ways I wish I had as it doesnt seem long ago I could barely run 5 mins without stopping, now 2 hours solid running still sometimes doesnt seem enough! but I suppose you could write how long you were out for, kind of surface, weather, how long, how far and how you felt during/after run...

stick to a training plan untill you get the idea on how you should progress, and then work one to what fits in with you! My other suggestion would be similar to what Caz said, sign up to a local event, set yourself a challenge of being able to complete it (maybe a 10k in the late summer) then set stepping stones between now and then, like 5k in however long. Once you complete 5k regually and have a route you know thats dead on 5k, maybe time it, dont go all out to get the best time on a 5k, but just see your progress.

01/03/2010 at 15:31
Thanks guys.

Will keep you all up-to-date. Been for my run today. Did walking and running. So gonna keep a record of how many laps of the course I do for now.

Thanks for the site with the software, will take a look.

Any other general advise would be great.

Do you all run with a mp3 player?? I find it abit off putting and feel I need to concentrate....will this pass as otherwise I am gonna get bored of talking to myself lol

Dean
01/03/2010 at 16:05
Hi Dean,

I ran with my ipod once last week, with only one ear piece in, as I didn't like the thought of not being able to hear the traffic ect. It didn't make any difference to my running although it's nice for a change I suppose, like you say, it can be a bit off putting.

Having an event to focus on keeps up the motivation.

Make sure you stretch after your run too!

Paula
01/03/2010 at 16:23
If I'm on my own and its going to be a long run then I'll take my MP3 player but only put it on once I'm safely across the roads... I'm dangerous enough when I can hear the traffic ha ha... But if I'm out with someone else or its just a couple of miles then it gets left at home...   I have to admit to using it all the time when I 1st started running, but now I'm not so fussed.
01/03/2010 at 16:54
Thanks

Paula - thinking of putting myself in for a 5k in July time for charity which will be an even bigger push. Want to do it for the Weston park hospital cancer charity as my Grandad went there.

Caz - ha ha, I can be a little clumsy according to my wife so think one ear in and the other one out might be the best option like Paula said.

Dean
01/03/2010 at 17:14
Well if it makes you feel any better and not wanting to bore you with my stories, but I only started running 4 weeks ago, and from not being able to run at all I can now comfortably run 2.5 miles and doing my first 5k on Sunday. It's amazing how quickly your body responds to what you're telling it to do. I never thought I would be doing what I am now. I am doing a 10k in May also.

How did your run go today? How many mins did you run/walk? I managed to get a friend to come with last Friday and she is coming tonight too, that makes a difference, keeps you motivated!
01/03/2010 at 19:03
No not boring at all in fact it helps, was thinking of posting in the Support, Advice and Inspiration topic, just reading through the post now.
So what training did you do??

Run went ok thanks, did about 2mins jogging, 30 seconds walking five times s nothing to mad to start with. But was thinking of doing mondays, wednesdays and fridays each week for now then slowly upping it once I can do longer distances?

Also my wife is gonna run with me as soon as she is well, currently has a bug of some sort and she has done a 5k run before.

Dean
Edited: 01/03/2010 at 19:04
02/03/2010 at 11:33

Dean - makes great sense to have at least one rest day in between exertions in the first few months of training.  As your body adapts, you can then face having a one or two back to back days of training, with a much lower risk of injury.  The thing with running injuries, they usually come on very slowly at first - not like twisting an ankle where you have immediate pain that forces you to stop.

So you think to yourself, nah, it's nothing - I'll keep going. The the body increases the signal that it is painful and you should stop, but by this time, you could have an injury requiring a 4 week break and expensive physio treatment.  So don't rush things or get carried away with your improvement.  Better to make stable consistent gains, than to be yo-yoing back and forth with injuries.

Running with the wife is a great way of getting to talk too - highly recommended.  Me and Mrs TD ran our first marathon together just before our 40th birthday.

02/03/2010 at 21:07
Hi Dean,

Great to hear your enthusiasm for running, I know how you feel. I've only been running since last december and I'm already hooked. When I started I couldn't run for more than 5 mins without being completely out of breath, this was a combination of quitting an 18 year smoking habit and running too quickly.
I'm now running 5k 3/4 times a week and a longer run at the weekend (6/7k.) I agree with TDB about rest days, they are REALLY important for us newbies. I also tend to concentrate more on time spent running than speed or distance and that way I'm less likely to push myself too far.

I've got three 10k races coming up and I'm really looking forward to them.

Good luck Dean
02/03/2010 at 22:42
Thanks for the advice Tricky

Neilypeely - thanks for the support. I wanna get a race under my belt in the summer I think. Just want to get a foundation before putting myself under any pressure to go racing lol.

I just want to increase my distances. Once I reach maybe 10k or half marathon then I will look at improving my times as I dont wanna run a full marathon anyway.

Good luck with the 3 races. let us know when they are.

04/03/2010 at 13:34

Dean and Paula ,there is more of us all the time , i am returning from a long lay-of f of about 8 years and it is like starting all over  again from scratch... ,which is exactly how i approached it and i know now why i loved it so much . My reasons are to overcome some life style issues that have led me into a a bit of a depression, but i am fighting back and winning.

I believe the best way is slowly, slowly, be really comfortable with your own programme and don't be too influenced by others we are all unique and need different approaches, then gradually raise the bar notching up one mile stone after another ,quite litterally , do not be put off or too down cast if it seems that no or slow progress is being made there is only success in what we do !! we're all learning , keepit up , and good luck my friends!!!

04/03/2010 at 17:51
RUSSE - welcome back to running. I never run before I started 5 weeks ago and indeed I can see the attraction and why so many people love it, as I do now.

The last two times I have been out running (last night and Monday night), I have had a stitch. I haven't changed what I normally do, eat a few hours before my run and not been drinking too much and I still get a stitch. Is it an affect of eat and drink times that day or could it be other stuff going on? I have read a little bit about stitches and the running technique to get rid of it so I will give that a try tomorrow. Does anyone else have any tips?

05/03/2010 at 08:00

Hiya Paula , stitches are normally the effect of internal movements but i cannot remember all the medical detail at the moment , their is a forum for injuries and such like hereso someone better than me can tell you about htis, i do find that slowing my breathing and trying to biase weight and footfall with greater emphasis ti the opposite side of stitch helps and is more comfortable,try not to drink to much directly before 200ml tops before a steady run ,failing this just slow right down ,walk if necessary ,look upon it as interval training slow then quicker .

I hope you are still enjoying it, i find the time directly after a run the most rewarding , i ache today also around the calfs and quads  but i don't mind .Have you any goals set out or just see what occurs??

05/03/2010 at 10:27
I have my first 5k run on Sunday and a 10k in May. I'm really excited about Sunday as I will have a PB and something to work on!

Only problem is, I've started with a cold today as my little boy has been full of one for a week. I'm hoping I still have the energy to run on Sunday and it doesn't take me down.

I love running - especially the feeling afterwards, I love it when I run that bit further. I can't wait for summer, I will have many more places to practice my running without having to stick to the lit main roads at night.

I hope you're not aching too much It'll be my turn tonight!

05/03/2010 at 11:09
Yeah summer makes all the difference , a chance to get off road in the evenings as well is great, i have a 5k end of March, its something to work towards,  just weights for me tonight.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.