New with concerns!

21 to 28 of 28 messages
25/09/2008 at 16:19
12kb i think, ie tiny!
26/09/2008 at 08:50
Personally I love the rush of a 5k.... but I mainly compete in 10k's. And this year I'll have done 2 x 10M and one half-marathon. Just try lots of stuff, find what you like, and kick your own arse to get better at it
26/09/2008 at 10:35
I took a pic from Facebook, shrunk it in paint, and it was so small I couldn't see anything, so I  tried it again, and shrunk the white background to fit round the image (in Paint) and now it works fine and dandy!
08/10/2008 at 08:39

Im still profile pic-less! I got one small enough, just waiting for approval now!

Right, onto the serious stuff! Im getting slower! I've been running at about 5min 30 a km up till a few weeks ago, and now its creeping up to about 5,40-5,50......... its a pro's and con's thing tho because Im now running further without having a walk break (usually had to walk for a couple of mins at around the 4k mark) and this morning I did 6k without stopping which Im chuffed with, but seems Im sacrificing time for distance!

Is this me finding my pace? should I now keep to that distance and my speed will gradually increase again or do I push the distance on and stay slower?

Edited: 08/10/2008 at 08:39
08/10/2008 at 11:12

do both.

increase you speed on fast 4 or 5ks alternated with longer slower runs for distance and you'll be sorted!

08/10/2008 at 11:25

Hi Paul - glad to see you're still at it!  Hows the football?

In your first post you mentioned that you'd completed a 10K at some point.  From your post above I suspect that you took a couple of walk breaks during your 10k.  That is good, nothing wrong with walk breaks.  I don't know what other people think, and I guess it depends upon what your goals are in your running but I think its best to get a really good level of base fitness before you start worrying about your speed.  For me, that means being able to run for at least 60 minutes without stopping regardless of how far you have run.  Once you can do that, the speedwork becomes second nature.  If you can do an hours running non-stop you should be able to increase your speed over shorter distances without too much of a problem............well, that's the theory anyway!

08/10/2008 at 12:19

Thank ya both.........  I suppose it'll all come with time and patience, I hate that! lol

Tigerlily - I knocked the footie on the head! Found a running club that meets on the same night so Im just building up the confidence to approach them........ I did a 10k yeah, managed that with 2 lots of 3k runs with a short walk in between, then the last 4 were kind of 1-1.5k, bit of a walk, then a bit more running...... and finished in 58 mins....

I think once I join the club, along with the advice Im getting here, I should be fine...... just hate feeling such a noob and not having all the answers!

08/10/2008 at 13:03

Paul, go to the club - you'll not regret it.  Clubs generally love welcoming new guys on board.  There will be all abilities there - I expect you are feeling what 99% of all people feel on joining a new club - "I'm not good enough, I'll slow people down, I'll be the slowest...etc. etc."  If you can do a 10K under an hour you will not be the slowest and your running will only improve.  I honestly think you're now at the stage where a club and running with other people will benefit you more than anything else. 

Oh, BTW - I've been running 30 years and still don't have all the answers  - so don't be disappointed when in 30 years time you are still asking questions!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.