New Year...New runner

Every journey begins with the first step and all that!

201 to 220 of 662 messages
APM
18/01/2012 at 15:53
Hi Mr Wilson. I went from zero to the marathon in six months. It wasn't a good idea. First I followed RW's programme to get you up from zero to running for a solid half hour and once I'd got good-ish at that, I started one of RW's marathon training plans and followed it to the letter as much as I could. I did the slowest possible programme with the lowest possible mileage. And I was extremely slow throughout.

The reason I don't think it was a good idea to do the marathon when I did is that I never really got truly fit. Maybe I did in terms of my breathing, cardiovascular, endurance etc, but not in my muscles. I had lots of injuries along the way, which meant I missed quite a bit of training. Plus I ate like a pig throughout the training so remained about two stone overweight at that time - a strain on my body and extra burden to lug around. On the day I managed to run for only 19 and a half miles before hitting the wall and having to walk. As a result my time was over six hours. But once you've done a marathon nobody can take it away from you and it's a really great feeling. I actually have a ballot place for this year's race but I'm going to pull out.

The main thing I learnt from the experience is that with running, anything's possible (within reason!) provided you clock up the hours and miles on your feet as proscribed by a good training plan.
18/01/2012 at 16:01
Keenly keep on it, trying to force someone is trying to make someone do something they obviously don't want to do. You seem to have the motivation so go for it yourself.

Apm that took some guts in 6 months. I don't think people generally realise how hard the training is going to be until they do it. I think I'm deffo going to do the half first and then build on that. I'm looking a keeping fit long term to so I'm in no rush to fulfil what I want to do just yet.
18/01/2012 at 16:23
Might wear tights tonight If I run.... Risk of shrinkage worth taking haha!
18/01/2012 at 20:39

Hey all

Feel like I've been gone a week with all the chatting going on

Sorry, but read so much can't remember who has said what, I have a memeory like a seive! I am however impressed with the having run a mara before, not that it is something that I'd want to do, but impressed non the less.

Well done on the weight loss! Agree though, can see inches not necessarily on the scales, and always remember muscle weighs more than fat! I weighed myself on New Years Day and said it would be the first of every month so will see how it goes.

Did another run today, same route as I did on Sunday (c. 3.5k) and given I had forgotten to take my inhaler before I went, and that I had walked to the train station this morning and used the walk home as my warm up I was well impressed at bringing my time down from 24:27 to 22:12!!!!!

As for the Garmin, totally love it, wouldn't change it and certainly wouldn't be without it!!!! If you've got one or are thinking of one, all I can say is, 'Good Move!'

Next run planned for Friday before heading north to see my family. Dad's just had his knee replaced. Mum is still saying she wants to start so I'm planning on taking her out at the weekend for her first session. I'm not so sure she'll stick to it, but she says she wants to try so will see how it goes

Roy - Glad to see you are giving the tights ago, let us know how you get on with it.

K - go for the rest, it really is a good idea! Ice, rest and elevate is what I was told when I did mine.

Can't wait to run again

18/01/2012 at 21:11
Made up for you ange. Once you pop you just cant stop lol. So the garmin seemed fairly accurate then? Does it have a light on it?

Ive booked myself on park run for sat morn.ive got a membet of my staff to do it with me to so should be good.

Im gonna head out for a.run on my break in work tomorrow.
19/01/2012 at 11:53

hey well done on run ange thats brill, great time

I'm gettin very bored of resting now, but reckon should just hold off another few days n try head out again on monday, still feel an ache when i'm walking walkin which sucks. feels like i'm just sittin about gaining weight lolol.

good luck with lunch break run roy

19/01/2012 at 15:39
Hey guys

just had my lunch time run. 4.5 miles 33 mins.very hard as runnin against wind half of it.felt leggy again but i think my leg muscles are where im lacking. Does everyone else feel their muscles in legs whilst runnin. Think i need to build the strength up.

How is everyone
APM
19/01/2012 at 16:19
Hi Mr Wilson, wow that's an impressive time and distance for a beginner - how long have you been running for? good for you, a good use of your lunch hour!

Yes I feel my leg muscles during running - specifically my calves and the muscles in my groin that you use when lifting your knees up. Really feel weak, burning and heavy. But I know it will get better the more I run and train.

I got to do my run yesterday in the daytime for the first time while someone watched my baby. I did run 2 walk 1 x7 and finished with a 4 minute run, found it very hard and was very slow. But it can only get better!
19/01/2012 at 18:01
HI Mr Wilson

GL on the leggings!!

APM i am thinking about doing a marathon but am a novice....lost my mojo a few yr back but getting it back, can you recmmmend any good plans?

Mr wilson. My sis came out today only managing half of the plan!!

But it was a start now am in a quandary...do you think i could do with her what i have to do then go out again on a night and do where i am upto it as i do think am fitter than the plan recommends but want to stay on track but doing half of the c25k on week 1 is a bit easy for me i should of run 3 session today but kept with my sis...i would never want to leave her as i think this would dishearten her but i do need to be moving forward any suggestions from ANYBODY please?

Keeny
19/01/2012 at 18:24

hey Keeny,

i reckon everyone will recommend diff things so suppose its just gonna b down to what suits you, but if i'm bein totally honest, and if i were in your situation, i would probs go out with my sis then go out later and do where i'm at in the training plan.....only because your saying you feel fit enough, and i'm quite tough on myself so i no for a fact thats what i would day. way i see it, the programme i'm doing, i do the run for however long is allocated that day, but also in that day i might do a gym class and will probably be out with the dog a couple of times as well, so still doing more exercise than what schedule is saying.

entirely upto you though, as loong as it doesn't become too hard, or painful in anyway, and that it doesn't jeopradise your training in anyway...if ur sis has a day she doesnt wanna go out, her loss, she obvioiusly doesn't want it enough, and y should u lose out in doing something you enjoy ............is it obvious yet that i have a sister lolol. anyway, what ever u decide will be whats right for yiu, i'm sure there will be some folk that will disagree with my opinion and thats the whole point in this thread getting everyones opinions and keeping motivated together. Good Luck xx

19/01/2012 at 18:32
Hi K

Thanks.....i do my davina DVD and did Pilates DVD tonight after doing run with her this morning as felt i hadnt done enough as do not want my fitness to drop

You can tell you have a SIS do not get me wrong i am willing to help her but only she can push herself, i didnt think she would manage the full 60s run 90s walk 8 times but managed half which was good!

i like feedback wether good or bad x
19/01/2012 at 18:33
Sorry how rude...how is your ankle?
19/01/2012 at 19:53

Hi all

Roy - good run, I'm impressed! Question is did you wear your tights ???

K - keep the ankle rested and take it easy, if it still hurts and pulls when walking you aren't ready to run! Give it time, it WILL get better! Look at me, I over did it in beginning Oct and am only just getting back into it, better to take little more time now than be frustrated as hell for a while later, my thoughts anyway.

Keeny - I agree with K on the whole sis issue, it's all very good to help, but you have to do your own thing too. I'm sure that even Sis will understand that you're needing to do more than her.

My garmin is fantastic, in my opinion super accurate, light weight, so comfortable, really easy to use, easy to read, easy to charge, easy to download and once downloaded so much data/splits/stats available on each session and as a report for whatever you want!

Had an easy (ish) day today, did 10mins on the cross trainer tonight, forgot how much hard work they are. Didn't want to overdo it though as I need legs for my run tomorrow.

With regards the legs burning/jelly effect, I feel it in my thighs on the cross trainer, but tends to be the calves on my runs. I know from before though that it will get easier, with practice

Planning to start with my 3.4k tomorrow and see how I feel I might extend it out to 5k, see how it goes.

Happy running

APM
19/01/2012 at 20:21
Hi Keeny
I think you should focus on yourself during the training as running is a personal thing where only the runner themselves is responsible for motivating and challenging themselves. I speak as someone whose sister has specifically said she doesn't want to run with me cos I'm too slow! But if younhave enough time in the day then maybe it's ok to do half with her and then a proper run on your own later.

Re marathon training plans I would recommend the one on the RW website.

Marmalade I'm so glad to hear the garmin is good. Can't wait to try mine once I've reached the target of running for a solid thirty mins.

I'm due for my last run of week two tomorrow - run 2 mins walk 1 x 7!
19/01/2012 at 21:17
Evening all! I went for a very muddy run this afternoon, and managed my longest ever! Rather slow as it was a bit claggy. I'm now on week 3 day 2 of my C25k and am walking 5, running 12, walking 5, running 12 walking 5. Went a bit wrong today as I misjudged my route and was rather far from my car when I was supposed to be finished. Ran a bit of the way but then walked as I am finding the way this programme builds up is really good and didn't want to do too much extra.

I have googled your garmins (I had no idea what you were talking about!) They look fun if a bit huge!
19/01/2012 at 22:38
Hey still in work been here since 8 this morning. My toes are absolutely killing but im on my feet all day and after that run they hurt loads!

To.answer the earlier question i have been running 2 weeks. My job involves me walking round.on 15 hour shifts so i will have basic stamina and fitness.

Ange i didnt wear the tights....the stick id take in work off my staff would not be worth the pain lol. I will on sat tho lol.

Oh and by the way i put in for a park run on sat woooo wish me luck
20/01/2012 at 09:54

Everyone is doing so well, well done i'm jealius Rachel its great that ur sticking to the plan to the book, how many weeks of it do you have left?

ankle is easing up thankfully, have a really busy weekend ahead so first scheduled run back is monday morning and i cant wait already, first time in my life i've looked forward to a monday

Everybody keep up the good work, all doing great, if i dont manage to speak during weekend i'll let u all know how i get on with run on monday night take care guys

20/01/2012 at 10:36
Havent been on here for a couple of days and seemed to missed out on SOO much...all seem to be doing a great job on the effort.
Well I have kept up with the core conditioning class on Wednesday and have been cycling everyday on the school run. Run planned for Saturday and Sunday.

Just had a call from a local charity to say they would love me to do the London marathon in 2013!! It is one of my long term goals but considering I am building up to achieve 10k it's a long road ahead! I am not too concerned with time just as long as I come in front of the guy in the deep sea diving suit!!

Do you think it's do-able? Planning to do 10k then maybe a 10 miler and go for an autumn half? A aaargh! Think I m going to need you guys more than I thought!
20/01/2012 at 11:56
Hey gem. There is no reason why in that time u cant do a marathon.im thinking similar time scale to myself. Id love to run for a.charity but i believe u have to raise absolutely loads of money.
Keep up good work.

Kirstin i love mondays its usually my day off.its like my weekend off hehe.im off most of the day now i think i need to relax as doing that park run in the morn.

Anyone running today?
20/01/2012 at 11:59

Hi all

Gem - Brilliant news on London 2013, I think that you'll be fine, remember you are doing everything right, building up well and you have logical steady goals to get you there! RW have a good mara training plan which would prob be worth a look, also advice on food/hydration and the post run not overdoing it sort of thing. If you've got January issue RW there is a quiz to help you pick the best training plan also, looks like it goes from nothing to mara too so should be ideal for ya!

Roy - I get the staff issue and the tights, sure you'll see the benefits though and may even decide they are the best way forward  

I've been out today and bought some new tights/tops/hi viz gear! That was of course after I'd been for another run 3.44k in 22:39 and it felt great, or should I say I felt great!!! It was windy, raining and rush hour traffic all around me, but I was loving being in my own little bubble, or should that be me and the Garmin in a little bubble  It is fantastic, love it and it is proving to be so very accurate.

I'm off to see my parents this weekend so not sure how much I'll get done this weekend. Mum has said she wants to start so going to go out with her for her first session over the weekend!

K - good to hear you are resting the ankle, please don't rush it, if you feel pain stop and walk.

Rachel - Brilliant run, you'll be running 5k in no time, better get myself into gear and start increasing the distance or you'll all be leaving me behind.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

Roy - Have a great park run!!! Don't sprint off and you'll be fine. Can't wait to hear how you get on

Edited: 20/01/2012 at 12:00
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.