New Year...New runner

Every journey begins with the first step and all that!

21 to 40 of 662 messages
05/01/2012 at 10:23

Hi all

It is really good to hear that you have all taken the first step and are getting out there and giving it a go.

I too love the idea of the ruffle! It is sometimes the best way forward and remember, at least your doing something

Ginger - well done on the 15k, bet you're feeling so proud, know I would be.

Bristol - before I got injured last year all I was doing was about 2 miles 3-4 times a week, kind of comfortable distance, but once your happy with it you can do more with it to help build up the fitness, you don't necessarily have to up the distance.  Keep at it, you will see improvements and find you get addicted to it

I'm still out of it, dr has me on antibiotics and steroids to try and sort me out so the nearest I'm getting to a run it encouraging you all on here.  Heaven help my partner though coz all is gets is me winging that I want to go for a run!!! Our mate over the road has a treadmill too which he has said I can use when the weather is bad etc so I'm down to my lungs holding me back. Anyway less of me moaning on, more of KEEP IT UP GUYS, YOU'RE DOING DO VERY WELL!!!

05/01/2012 at 13:12
Hi allI'm in a similar situation where I've decided to give the running lark a good go this year - I did a half mara back in 2010 but since then the motivation (and miles) and dropped to practically zero. Unfortunately my weight has gone in the opposite direction! I've had a couple of shortish runs so far this year, but I'm seriously considering joining the local running club, as I think the support and motivation will (hopefully!) keep me going and get to the level I want to be at.  However I'm finding the prospect a bit daunting, and still trying to find the courage to get myself down there.....Good luck everyone.
05/01/2012 at 13:41

Gary - you'll do it, just go in and say hi.  I've done it the other way, said hi and not managed to run with them yet, but am ill so still got lots time.

Good luck with it all

05/01/2012 at 20:41
If anyone is interested, I have set up a Facebook group called 'New Year New Start - Get Running. Just search for it and send a request. Thought it would be easier to communicate this way and motivate/advise each other as it can be difficult to find the thread, let alone follow it as more people contribute!! I don't know about you, but I keep finding myself wanting to 'like' comments and reply directly! There also seems to a be a few regular contributors already which is brilliant and thought it would be nice if we continue to help each other out as we make this lifestyle change! x

06/01/2012 at 09:13
Ginger, that's a great idea.  The only thing is not to neglect here to as not everyone will have facebook. i'm off to find you now
06/01/2012 at 09:31
Yes of course Maamalade!!

How are you all doing? How has your first week gone?

I did a 7k walk on Sunday, then 3x4k runs in the week!! Knocked 6 minutes 47s off this morning from my first 4k on Tuesday! Woohoo!! x
06/01/2012 at 10:28

That's brilliant, sounds like you're on your way and also very addicted.

I've still not done anything, trying to shake this cold/flu off, had it nearly 3 weeks!

06/01/2012 at 12:02

Good to see new runners joining in.

A few tips for you: Don’t overdo it on speed or distance. Training regularly is the key to weight loss or running improvement. Park runs are also a good alternative to a running club – less formal and less of a commitment, although still good for motivation. Also, don’t forget that you can cross-train (run, cycle, row etc) which will help with initial fitness and lower injury risk.

Lastly if you can stay motivated at this time of year then it will be ‘easy’ come spring – good luck!

Edited: 06/01/2012 at 12:03
06/01/2012 at 13:22
Hi guys,
First post before my first run.
Due to some illnesses and a new years resolution I have decided to take my fitness serious. After getting my gait done today and purchasing my first set of shoes I'm ready to go. Many years ago I ran short distances for a club but always wanted to do a marathon when older! I have now hit that point where I want running to become serious part of my life.

A little about myself, I'm just about to turn 25 and am a pub deputy manager which unfortunately does not help me with the long hours. I have always kept myself pretty healthy until this last year where stress and anxiety has gotten the better of me. I am 5ft 11 and slim and my ultimate goal is to do at least one full marathon and make running a prominent part of my life.

I'm quite nervous about first few runs and i'm worried my usual lack of motivation with 'get up and go'!

Do or die right?
Looking forward to the challenge and hope I can become a regular!

Cheers
Roy
06/01/2012 at 13:47

Roy

Sounds like you have a good drive and challenge to keep yourself going.  We will help give you that kick when you need it, but sure you'll be just fine. Just remember slow and steady.  Overdoing it to quick will only cause you to injure yourself.

Let us know how run number 1 goes

Ange

06/01/2012 at 22:05

Hello all. hope you dont mind me joining in!

Im starting again after a long break which got even longer when I became pregnant!  The baby is now 6 months old and I havent been for a run in about 18 months.  I was only struggling through 20 minutes when I was running so I really am a new starter now!

So Im going to dig out the C25K programme on my Ipod and start again - hopefully tomorrow.

I am quite unfit, 36 and about 4 stone overweight so a lot to be done.  The ultimate aim is weight loss - with a late May holiday as my first goal , but Im also determined to do a half marathon at some point.  For now though, I will start with a few 5k races, then perhaps a 10k...

Woah.  First things first!  Looking forward to sharing this with others going through the same pain!

06/01/2012 at 22:14

One step at a time, but whatever you're motivation, welcome and good luck with it all.

You'll get there and there is tonnes of support on here. Sure you'll get there.

06/01/2012 at 22:46
Hey bellasmum,

Same boat here but have to start somewhere. Got out for my first run and glad I got first one out the way. Not really got a plan to follow but just gonna take it steady and go for improving distance over a period of time rather than speed work.

Hope it all goes well for you

07/01/2012 at 14:12
Well I have done it, I have been out for a walk, just to Tesco and back, 1.1km each way and was carrying shopping back.  Took 15 min18 there and 15 min 20 back.  Just feel glad to have done something. Going to rest now though!
07/01/2012 at 14:18
Well done maamalade.
As they say evert little helps!

Ive just got back from my second run at 2.3 miles with a big hill thrown in. It hurt ne like hell and hurt my lungs from there on. Feel down about it now, coughin guts up here now. Does this happen to everyone or have i just overdone it too soon?

Cheers
07/01/2012 at 14:24

It could be a couple of things, I think the main one possibly being too much too soon. Good efforts though don't get me wrong, but the distance you're covering including a hill seems a lot for only a second run.

When I run I do end up coughing, but that's coz I'm asthmatic and it will hurt so I set myself the challenge to push myself but not to the point my lungs hurt/burn. Sometimes that just means slowing down a bit, but can still do same distance, sometimes I walk. I would suggest if you feel your lungs hurting just slow down a bit and see how that goes.

The one thing I can say is that it will get easier with time and practice so keep at it and give yourself a big pat on the back, that's 2 runs down!!!

07/01/2012 at 19:54

Grr - sort of forgot to go out. Busy day and then I found myself eating dinner straight after putting the baby to bed, when I remembered I had planned to go out.  So, tomorrow, I will get my stuff ready and when I get home from my day out with the family - I will get changed and go straight out.  And then I will come here and tell you all about it!

Well done to others who did get their brains in gear and got out the door!

07/01/2012 at 21:19

Hi every one im just starting out too and ginger very much like you, had to have a word with myself.

Ive been feeling sluggish and cant be bothered for a while and i know its alot to do with eating rubbish, no exercise and being 3 stone over weight. The first part of my plan was to give up smoking... on christmas day my hubbie and i had been smoke free for 3 months  I have thought about running on several occasions but was prepared with a list of excuses why i couldnt. Yes embaracement was a big part of it

The gym and exercise classes are out for me at the moment as my hubbie has just been made redundant, so i decided it was time to take the plunge and am too (trying) doing the C25k trainning programme. think i am going to have to repeat quite a few weeks though lol

Today apart from a disasterous run i was surprised to learn that i have lost about 4lb since the 29th of Dec so am feeling rather pleased with myself x

07/01/2012 at 21:30

Ive also asked to goin the group on face book xx

07/01/2012 at 22:05
Hi guys....hope you don't mind me joining in. Have tried running on and off over the past 6 years!! On and off due to the arrival of 3 children. As my youngest is now starting pre school i have no excuse. I small pretty slow and our local running club is snap elitist one do hoping you guys can spur me on.
My goals for 2012 are to complete a 10k in under an hour and to for a 10 miler !
Gemmax
21 to 40 of 662 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.