New Year...New runner

Every journey begins with the first step and all that!

621 to 640 of 662 messages
14/07/2012 at 22:33

Hi Maam,

Glad your out off hospital, make sure you enjoy your holiday in Cuba, fingers crossed the op has been a 100% sucessful and you can get back onto the road too recovery

On Thursday we ran up to the duck pond at Craig Dunain 2 miles all up hill six miles in total in 1hr 4 mins, during the run one of the other jog leaders invited me to a free session of 'Burn it' a fitness group ran by ex army chaps,.

Wow! it was tough, hill reps, core work, sprints and many other activities that hurt!  probably the hardest workout I've done too date, although it was tough I still had enough energy to do a three mile run in a little over 32 minutes.

I woke up this morning and there was this strange yellow orbe in the sky, it was kind off frightening and as a result we managed to play cricket for the first time in three weeks  and to cap it off we actually won

I've decided not to do a long run tomorrow I'll just go out for a gentle four or five miler.

Happy Running

16/07/2012 at 12:02

Stewart,

Good run but does sound really really tough. I understand the confusion by that big yellow thing, but if it helps get a win then bring it on

Mum says congrats on the win too, she came to see me this weekend with just getting out of hospital after my first op.

Knee still hurting heaps, but staying positive as it has to be the start of the recovery

16/07/2012 at 12:09
Jellybelly69 wrote (see)

Maamalade did u have keyhole surgery?

I had a "small" knee op, cut away some patella?

Anyway the best thing I found was a cheap childs football (£2 asda type) squeezed between the thighs... don't wait around as I found my right leg had no power at first but soon strength came back.

good luck and well done both of you for motivating each other on this thread when the others left, nice effort.

Jellybelly - yes I had keyhole surgery to remove the Plica.  Thanks for the hints and tips it is more than I have had from the hospital.  They have just said keep feet moving!

Good news is my travel insurance are giving me full cover for my knee

16/07/2012 at 23:16
Hi

Best thing is moving as soon as you can, the ball thing really helps. A small one can be used whilst you're recovering and sat down watching tv.

The other thing, agreeing with the hospital is moving your foot or in my case my heel. The sooner you start moving it the quicker the swelling goes down as fresh blood comes back into your tissues.

Keep positive you'll be back soner than you think.
17/07/2012 at 08:50

thanks jellybelly, its bit of uphill fight trying to get advise from the hospital on what I should be doing. they have now said that I should be weight baring and moving as much as can tolerate and it will gradually get back to full movement.  I have found slight weighbaring this morning which is achievement. 

Looking forward to going on holiday and hopefully swim a bit and I'm allowed to scuba dive too.

I'm walking/moving little and often so that I don't stiffen up. Hope to be able to run again soon ish

17/07/2012 at 12:07

have you thought about an aqua jogger belt? might help your recovery

17/07/2012 at 15:24

I've never heard of one let alone thought of one! I am thinking of trying to walk in the pool while away once I can get wet, thinking will help. I'm moving regular and the Dr gave me some extra bits to do this morning so sure I'll be back in no time, or at least hoping so

19/07/2012 at 11:36

Its all gone quiet, hope all is ok and that the running and cricket are going well.

Just wanted to say keep up the great work and I'll be back in couple weeks, hopefully feeling somewhat better and relaxed.

Oh, and I found out yesterday that I have a partial tear in my crutiate ligament too! Guess cuba will = rest and destress

See you when I'm back, hope to have good reports to read

04/08/2012 at 16:54

Where has everyone gone???

06/08/2012 at 10:23

Hi Maam,

How was the holiday hope you've had fun in the sun and you're slowly getting back on the road to full fitness

Please forgive the lack of updates, not been much to report, I continue to get out at least three times a week, twice with jog scotland and once at the weekend for a long run, J.S. have started to introduce some interval training every second Thursday, hard but enjoyable at the same time.  I've entered the Half at Avimore in October, there was only charity places left so I'll have to raise some money for the local charity the race supports.

As a result I'm going to have to work even harder over the next few weeks getting myself ready, my longerst run to date is 12 miles but I would like to get that up to around 15 by the end of September, I'll need to add one more run a week into my shedule, it will be another slow run probably around 8 or 9 miles.

I'll make sure to keep you updated with my progress over the next few weeks

Happy Running

07/08/2012 at 22:21

Sounds like you have heaps on already and are stepping up the pace, good luck with it all but careful not to over do it.

I had a good holiday and have progressed to walking/hobbling short distances without crutches. Still can't fully straighten knee and can only bend to around 90 degrees. Still lot of pain, can't drive yet and still off work so not much new to report this end.

Keep me up to date with how you are getting on, it is helping keep me saine.  I'm trying to stay strong and focused, but hard when keep getting mixed messages on what is wrong.  I have a HM booked for early March but for now will settle for being able to walk and return to work.

Keep up the really good work

08/08/2012 at 12:48

Hi Maam,

Sounds like the recovery process is going to take some time, at least you have a goal in mind and it looks like it could be acheiveable

I didn't run at all on the weekend so I went out on Monday did 7.5 miles along the caley canal, 4 out and then back to the house, in 1hr 18 mins @ 10:30mm, 5 miles with Jog Scotland last night @ 10:55mm there was a little off road stuff thrown in which was quite muddy so it slowed us down a little, so thats 12 miles so far this week.

My new Garmin arrived in the post this morning, its a forerunner 410 I'm thinking about going out for a run this evening just to test it out if I do go out it will short and very slow.

08/08/2012 at 14:28

Welcome to the world of garmin, learn how to use it and get the most from it, then run and enjoy

09/08/2012 at 10:52

Hi Maam,

Loving the Garmin, it's going to take some time to get use to all the functionality and the analytical tools available, but the're are heaps of tutorials on the web which will help no doubt.

So I had to go out and test this bad boy and I did say it was going to be a short and slow run, well one out of two is not bad, 3 miles in 30 mins @9:52mm.

10/08/2012 at 18:10

Hi,

Jog Scotland last night, helped take the 3/4 mile group last night, slow 4 miler taking 45 minutes, decided to go out again after group ran just over 2 miles in around 22 mins.

Planning  to loop the caley canal from the sea locks at Clachnaharry to Dochgarroch, just over 12 miles on Sunday for my long run

10/08/2012 at 18:33

Sounds like a good run to me, wish I was out running.

Let me know how it goes

13/08/2012 at 14:32

Hi Maam,

How is the recovery coming along, I know it must be hard not being able to run but it won't be long before you are back to pounding the streets

9.4 miles on Sunday, I didn't have enough time to do the 12, but I'm not complaining as the route was very demanding and I was feeling it a little.  Rest day today feeling a little stiff, so it will do me some good not to run today.

13/08/2012 at 17:53

Sounds like a tough run, and a very well deserved rest day.

I've been out walking today and managed a whole 550m before I was tired But I guess that is better than not walking at all

Roll on being able to do more and wait for the flags to be flying when I can run again

14/08/2012 at 09:56

It is good to see that you're in a positive frame of mind this will no doubt help with your recovery  just remember we will be here to support you and wave those flags as you jog on by.

Jog Scotland tonight, my eldest should be moving up into the 3 mile group this evening, I'm delighted for her, won't be long before she running with me

14/08/2012 at 13:48

Stewart is that not long till running with you or past you?

I'll be watching for those running flags once I'm back at it

621 to 640 of 662 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.