New Year...New runner

Every journey begins with the first step and all that!

141 to 160 of 662 messages
15/01/2012 at 07:50

What a way to start the morning! I've got up so I can go for my run, after warming up on the nice new cross trainer  but though get up early enough to have a musli bar for a bit of energy then come online for a bit before heading out, how much you have made me laugh and given me enthusiasm to go out where it looks white and frosty! Got to admit, going shopping will never be the same again, oh, and it's cooked chicken for dinner tonight

Must confess the talk of wine does make me want to open a nice bottle of rose, but before 8am and a run prob not best time

Roy - what super gym am I opening???? I though I just had a back bedroom, just coz it has stepper, cross trainer, gym ball and a selection of weights in it, not to mention the punch bag in the garage.  Carl (my other half) is into boxing and weights so seems a fair split As for not wearing tights, you could try jogging bottoms! Freezing just isn't fun, says me about to go out in it.

Gem - sounds like you had a good birthday and having it the day before hubby, that just sounds like party time

And ladies, as for missing a running day for whatever reason, don't beat yourselves up, we all have times like that and it doesn't mean you need to do extra the next session.  That's how injuries can happen. Just stick to your plan and build up gradually!!! Hey - that sounded like I might even know what I'm talking about.

Oh well, better go finish getting ready now. Plan to start the training at just gone 8 so will report back soon.

Very happy running everyone

15/01/2012 at 08:27
Ok gear on here i go...and i too am a self confessed harry potter potter geek! I just pretend its my boys that are into him....going to the studio tour in the spring too....aaargh i am putting off running now..logging off be back in a bit.
15/01/2012 at 09:12

My first run of 2012 is now completed, YIPEE!!!!! I did a 5 min warm up on the cross trainer, then ran 2.2 miles in 24:27 without stopping, cooled down for 5 mins on the stepper then did my sit ups and push ups, all in all a good morning and I'm feeling fantastic

I know my speed may not be the quickest, but after illness and injury didn't want to push it. Felt so cold out, thought my ribs had frozen!

Roy - a guy passed me running in shorts! Can't imagine the shrinkage, I was in full length tights and long sleved top and was freezing!

Gem - good on you getting out, hope your having a good run.

Now to get ready for my breakfast, Sundays are cafe day and I vowed unless I did a full run I wasn't going, so best get going

Edited: 15/01/2012 at 09:22
15/01/2012 at 09:51
Well done marmalade...its a gorgeous morning.. had a good run along the river..the mist coming off of it was spectacular. realised his much running is good for the soul ! Managed 5.4 miles in 57 mins. To be honest the last mile was pretty tough but mentally got through it. Now to shower and have birthday treats for the rest of the day.
15/01/2012 at 10:19

Gem - brilliant effort, sounds like the run I used to do in manchester along the shipping canal, although not for as far! Very impressed with your run, and a bit jealous.  I'm still learning the area where I live now so run along a main A road better than nothing though and it is a mental boost when you turn round half way

Don't blame you for the birthday treats, you deserve them. I need to put my shoes on as the guys are ready to go for brekkie and I must admit, I'm starving!

Have a great day everyone, after all it is a beautiful day! I'm definately feeling good for my run

15/01/2012 at 10:30
Ange made up for ya! Now its on to your next run cant wait .

I might invest in some tracksters this week who knows, i went out at rush hour yesterday and had a few honks of horns. Ran past a couple who both had their tights on .

Gem great progress loving the mileage. I just need to find a decent route round here to up the mileage.

Kirstin only read about ur wand as fell asleep to harry lastnight. Turning ur tv off wow...does alot more than mine! Lol. Love harry and lord of rings. Film geek here hehe.not gonna run today as got work soon till midnight but im off tomorrow wooo.
15/01/2012 at 11:12
Hi,

I am new to this sort of thing, I was very sporty at school and wish to take up something for the new year! I have tried running outside and never enjoyed it (more of a treadmill gal). I think this was because don't like running outside on my own, but I am thinking of applying for some 5ks to begin with but have no idea where to look. Any help ou guys could provide would be great!
15/01/2012 at 11:26
Hi all, and well done to you all!!! xx

I'm just back from my latest run, beautiful sunny morning, I ran along the sea wall and and even got pursued by a fella inviting me to join his running club! LOL! I must've looked a bit more professional than I am! I'm quite tempted actually. I'm still following my C25k programme and it's definitely getting easier.

Prue: I'm no expert but I think the Race for Life dates are out this coming week, and I can highly recommend these runs as a very supportive and stressfree way to try a 5k run. They seem to kappen all over the Uk, so I'm sure you could find a local one, they are usually in May/June, so you'll have a while to train (if you need it!).
15/01/2012 at 12:42

Hi all, sounds like it is definately a running day!

Prue: If you're looking at 5k you could start by doing parkruns, they are 5k and free. I just googled parkrun to find my nearest one. From what I understand with them is you can even sign up on the day! As for other races I'm not sure as I haven't looked for any myself.  How much running have you done? What distance do you normallly cover, even if on a treadmill? Tready's are useful so please don't take that as a sarcastic reply

Rachel - sounds like you are really getting on with witht he C25k, and more importantly enjoying it!

Hope you all have a good day, I'm off to fix my cross trainer, it is catching a bit. Doesn't stop it working, more annoying than anything else Can't complain for £25 though

15/01/2012 at 14:35

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! MAAM, WELL DONE!!!!! u must be buzzing

Everyone has had a good day by sounds of things

I've got to admit i'm just up hahaha, terrible i no

going out in about an hour for my run. looking forward to it deciding wither to take the pup with me or not, sometimes he's really good and gets a right good exercixe then sleeps all night, other times he's an absolute nuiscence lol,

Welcome Pure hopefully you'll get the running bug, though if your enjoying TM then keep with it x

15/01/2012 at 15:08
Thanks K - enjoy your run. The pup will only sulk if you're getting a good run and it doesn't  x
15/01/2012 at 15:46
Theres nothing like a turkey roast on your dinner hour mmmmm. Pigs in blankets mmmmm
15/01/2012 at 16:33

Roy - That is just cruel! You could have given me a shout to come over the water to share it  But there again I've a chicken dinner waiting for me cooked by Carl's mum, just need to get Carl out from under my car (he is kindly servicing it) before we can go

Good news is I've fixed the most annoying bit of my cross trainer, just need to get a new runner wheel to fix the other bit, just need to find somewhere that sells one first!

Not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow, getting up at 05:00 my body has got used to taking its time, oh well will be home at 19:30 and will have walked to the station and back (approx 5k total) so can't be all bad, and might have a sneeky 20mins on the cross trainer when I get back

15/01/2012 at 23:04
So how did everyone's day go? Just got home from work. Looking to get out and do a 5 miler tomorrow.

Ange how did ur cross training go?

Kirstin hows ur wand? Hehe. Did u get out and do that long long run?

Day off tomorrow cant wait.
16/01/2012 at 14:05

Good day guys!

Just got back from a 4.74 mile run at 34.26 minutes and 7.15 pace average mile.  Felt sluggish today and i had planned to go for 6 miles but i felt my achilles start to pull so i stopped and walked home .  Hope it is ok for my next run i can't be doing with being injured .

Again i try to go slower but i just seem to go faster and its getting to me at the end, whereas if i ran slower id be able to run further.  Does anyone have any hints as to how to slow down?  It's clearly not as easy as it looks for me lol!

How is everyone?

16/01/2012 at 16:42

Hello everyone! How's it going?...well I did it...I cracked...I had the master of all gorges on saturday and I'm so mad at myself! I just had a mega chocolate craving and basically brought out the shop's sweets isle...Oh well...its the work I put in to make up for it that counts!

It sounds like everyone is in good stead and keeping up the running regularly, as for me I'm pumping myself up for go on another 5 miler in 15 minutes which I'm deading...not because I can't do it but becuase I'm afraid of the damage I've done to myself over the weekend!

I'm sorry Mr Wilson but I have no tips on how to slow down as I'm mostly concerned with speeding up! I wish I had your problem, but I see what you mean. Do you listen to music when you run? you could try and listen to sounds with a slower beat than you run and your natural rhythem will fall into it...if all else fails you could give it a try!

Maam - you must be dead chuffed with your run, sounds like an excellent comeback from a lengthy absence so well done! (and I'm well jealous that you have a cross trainer!? I know what I'm asking for this Christmas! lol)

K-Anne how old is your pup? I hear that dogs make excellent running partners...its like running on your own but with a friend!

Hope This message finds everyone well! spk soon

x

16/01/2012 at 16:50
Roy - You are super quick - Not sure on how we can slow you down!! I wish I could improve the pace - even on shorter runs I still seem to plod along!!
Do you listen to music when running - I take my phone and have an app which updates me on speed and distance - actually find it helpful in knowing when I need to pick up the pace a bit - although knowing and putting it into practice are 2 different things! My average pace seems to be 10.30 minute per mile!! I promised I wouldnt get hung up on stats but at the same time I find it helpful in charting my own personal progress.
How is everybody else doing - I have just finished off a pack of mini blueberry muffins!! oops!
16/01/2012 at 16:57
Hey gem

i use the nike+ sportsband but dont listen to music. Maybe i should? I think ive.pushed it too much today and maybe pulled my right achilles.

Im not great at following the idea of running further, not faster. Many years ago i used to be a 100-200m runner and im not one for getting beat in my mind. I guess this battle in my mind is causing this problem. Running in shorts in this weather isnt clever either but im one very concious person. Bought some full length lycras today but just cant vision myself running in them.lol
Edited: 16/01/2012 at 16:58
16/01/2012 at 17:19
I am sure you will look lovely in them. I was more a sprinter (back in the day) too so long distance running has been a huge learning curve (still is). Think with me its technique - I am sure that my stride and the way in which I run is not that efficient - I am hoping that lots of practice will improve this so I then improve my normal speed.

Once you are in you lycras and actually running I am sure you wont feel elf conscious at all.

16/01/2012 at 17:34
Sounds like me really Gem.  What exactly is a more efficient stride?  Every now and again i tend to catch my inner ankle bone with the side of my other foot shoe.
141 to 160 of 662 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.