Newbie and loving it

never thought i would enjoy running

6 messages
16/02/2014 at 15:17

Hi everyone !  I have been reading all these threads for a few weeks and decided to do my own !  I am 46 years old and have suffered with  Asthma from birth , one day in late November after yet another heavy night out I was sat feeling sorry for myself , I was over weight and felt like cr*p all the time !  so out of nowhere I had a brainwave that I was going to do something about it !  I had never been out running before but that was my going to be my new fitness regime and from that day I have been hooked !  I used to see people out running and always felt a bit of jealousy towards them !  anyway I bought myself a decent pair of running shoes ( Asics gel kayano 19 ) and off I went !  the first week I could hardly run 100 metres without stopping but I would do alternate running and walking !  I admit I found it a lot harder than I could of imagined but I stuck with it and found myself running a bit further every time , to be honest I made the mistake of running too fast but since slowing down ( a tip I picked up from this forum ) I found it easier ,  nearly 3 months later my weight has gone from 96.5 KG to 89KG and I feel so much fitter !  the furthest I have ran is 4 miles but my average midweek run is around 2.5 miles which I now do in 24 minutes !  not fast but I am getting there !  My son is in the Army and when he is home he comes out with me ( even though he runs in boots and carries 30kg on his back ) I find a bit of encouragement helps me along !  My message to anyone is ,  if I can do it so can you !  basically I am really enjoying running and find myself thinking about and looking forward to my run whilst at work !  I will read all the threads on here and hopefully pick up more tips !   

16/02/2014 at 15:24

Well done Nezzer

16/02/2014 at 15:32
Great read. Well done and keep up the good work
16/02/2014 at 15:39
Well done Nezzer,
16/02/2014 at 15:46

Thanks everyone

18/02/2014 at 15:09

Well done Nezzer. I love running too and back into it this year after too long off. I started off too fast and trying to increase too much, now starting again slowly, doing around 2 - 3 miles and not worrying about the time, much more enjoyable.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.