Newbie Runner

21 to 40 of 576 messages
XX1
26/10/2013 at 19:52

You've got the shoes and the watch...  Now you just need to focus on good form...  The Garmins are great, what model do you have?  I also love stats and MS Excel...  Let me know if (a) you'd like any training log ideas, and (b) if you have any good training log ideas 

XX1
26/10/2013 at 19:59

I bought the garmin forerunner 10, nice entry level price and has the virtual pacer functionality which was really important to me as I have absolutely no sense of what pace i am doing at the moment!!  Booktrunk mentioned she can now tell herself so I hope this is something I come to get a feel for!

at the moment I just have a simple spreadsheet set up to log distance, times and splits. As time goes on I want to figure out a way of logging hills etc!

is there anything I am missing you can think?!

26/10/2013 at 20:13

What ho Watto!

Congratultaions on starting this running lark, am sure (like booktrunk) you'll be running ultras in a year

Am enjoying the enthusiasm in your 'blog' and looks like your already taking big steps along the fitness road

A tip you may want for your spreadsheet is to log the mileage against your shoes, it's easy to add it up when you only have 1 pair but I have 5 pairs I regularly run in (you will collect them) and the spreadsheet reminds me when I've reached the (supposed) 500 mile limit

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:14

In summary, I log Date, Distance (km), Duration (of run), Steps, Pre-Run Weight, Run Type (EZ, Intervals, LSD, etc), Running Shoes...  I then have calculated columns for BMI, Gross Calorie Burn, Net Calorie Burn, Average Cadence, Average Stride Length, Average Pace /km, Average Speed kph, Distance (mi), Average Pace /mi, Average Speed mph... I have a Notes column for details of Intervals, etc...  I have other sheets for Totals Per Year, Totals Per Month, and Totals Per Week.

What splits do you log?  And what details of hills do you want to log?

XX1
XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:20

Oh, I also have an Analysis worksheet...  It has columns for Analysis Type, Analysis Value 1, and Analysis Value 2...  I can put a column heading from my Log worksheet (such as Running Shoes) into the Analysis Type column, a value from that column on the Log worksheets (such as Brooks Vapor 8) into the Analysis Value 1 column...  And  I then have columns for summed up values from the Log worksheet...  So I can easily track, for example, mileage for every pair of running shoes I've every used.  I hope that makes sense.

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:24

lol, looks like I'm the spreadsheet newbie then

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:29

MS Excel is great, the only bit of software you'll ever need Andi 

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:30

Just got the starter edition here so unable to write macros so things look a little clumsy.

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:38

I used UDFs (macros) for my calculated columns simply because if I needed to change a formula I'd only need to make the change in one place...  But I could have done the same things without using macros...  I make good use of the COUNTIFS and SUMIFS functions...  I also have a worksheet that tracks PBs for any given distance, again done without the use of macros (not easy or immediately obvious I can tell you).

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:39

Great thinking logging shoes....only one pair at the moment but already eyeing up some pink beauties!!

i do feel very enthusiastic about it all and very surprised by what I have managed so far In just a short amount of time! 

omg tankdriver....that is some serious data, does your watch calculate the stride length? Also....this question may show up my nativity for the running world but what the heck is cadence?!

andi I think thereis more chance of pigs flying thatn me ever attempting an ultra,! Half marathon booked for this time next year and would love to do a full one the year after...we shall see!

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:40

It's a pity for me that I'm better at running logs than I am at running 

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:41

Watto: never say never...

26/10/2013 at 20:42

oh yes, lots of cell formulas. My biggest problem is if I see a new monthly pace record I try to keep it up rather than concentrate more on my HR (am HADDing theses days).

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:48

Cadence is the number of footsteps per minute...  Given that and the distance I can calculate my average stride length.  Cadence is important because many coaches consider having at least 180 footsteps per minute to be one element of good form.  When I started running I couldn't imagine going more than 5K...  I've now done a HM and am thinking of stepping up to a Marathon, and who knows from there...  So pigs may indeed fly 

XX1
XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:50
Andi McGill 2 wrote (see)

oh yes, lots of cell formulas. My biggest problem is if I see a new monthly pace record I try to keep it up rather than concentrate more on my HR (am HADDing theses days).

I know what you mean...  I like to see a progression 

XX1
XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:52

Andi -- I also have columns for Ranked Average Cadence, Ranked Average Speed, etc so I can easily see how any one run compares to all the others 

XX1
26/10/2013 at 20:57

You guys are fuelling my excell addiction! It appears I have cel knowledge but not the running knowledge!!

so how do you calculate your cadence.....that's got to be a watch fact...I'm sure I don't have the concentration to count that!!

26/10/2013 at 21:00

Watto, I use a footpod with my Garmin. In 'proper' shoes I average 162spm and in my bikilas it goes up to 180spm naturaly

I don't currently record it on my ss but have it my Garmin raining Centre if I need it.

26/10/2013 at 21:01

An add on for Garmin's tie it to your shoes and it measures your footfal. not expensive, have to check if it works with your Garmin 

you should see what the 220/620 do with their new HRM plus band. 

XX1
26/10/2013 at 21:04

I've got a Garmin FR60 and a footpod so, yes, the watch tracks the number of footsteps for me...  The watch also calculates the cadence but I still have that as a calculated column in my spreadsheet so that I'm not dependant on my current watch and footpod, I could use any old pedometer.

XX1
21 to 40 of 576 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.