Newbies 2

Anyone just starting out? (continuation of Newbies thread)

201 to 220 of 24,144 messages
01/09/2008 at 15:31

Hello everyone

Looking to get back into running - used to be able to run 45 mins. Felt great. Wanna feel that great again.

Havent thought about goals - just want to be able to run regularly for 25-30mins at a steady (albiet slow) pace. Once I achieve that I may think about entering a fun run an possibly rasing some money.

I've started a thread in the beginners forum - would appreciate any thoughts on plans and what is working out for people.

Talk to me pleeeease  - I know no runners and would appreciate the support.

Ry

01/09/2008 at 15:35

Hey Ryan...ive just replied to your thread! Hope its of some help!

You will find plenty of support on here, i have, these guys are great!

01/09/2008 at 15:37
Nic, i finish work at 5pm and get home just after 6pm. So i guess soon after that......
01/09/2008 at 15:40
Cool! We will have to report back!! Promise to kick each others arses if we dont go out?!
01/09/2008 at 15:42
Hey Ryan, I've just joined this thread too, and took up running for the first time in May. I'm now pretty much addicted but have found that I need to be entered into races to keep me motivated, otherwise I lose sight of a goal - maybe you can find a nice 5k funrun that you can set as a target to get you out the door? If you were once a runner then you'll soon be leaps ahead !
01/09/2008 at 15:46

Not sure if a cyber kick is enough of a threat to get me out there, BUT knowing you might ask me tomorrow probably will. Right now tho, it will be a huge achievement if i do it.....................

01/09/2008 at 15:47
You know what does get me motivated, looking at a pic of someone with a nice body that i'd love to have. I've got a few pics of Pink up on my noticeboard at home for inspiration of what i could look like if i tried.
01/09/2008 at 15:51

Hey Ryan, heres a link you might find interesting

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=46

I can ask you tomorrow then Kellyd! Why dont you go out for a walk with your running gear on and see how it goes then theres no pressure on you to run if you dont want to and if you feel like a bit of running then go for but if not then its still a walk and your still getting out for a bit of exercise!  Is your partner at home, she always gives you lots of encouragement by the sounds of it! You could take her along to cheer you along?!

I was thinking that if i dont go out i will be embarassed to come on here and say that i didnt even try!

01/09/2008 at 15:52
Im the same, ive got a pic of me in the bridesmaids dress on my fridge next to a printout of the 8 week plan, everytime i look at the pic i cringe! It definately does the trick!
01/09/2008 at 15:54

well exactly, that is the embarressing part, just being lazy.

Yes, Claire is at home, she hurt her knee a bit yesterday, but we have made a chart of different activities that we have to do and we are down for a walk today, SO, i'm sure she'll want to go.

01/09/2008 at 15:55
ah, so you are using the shock tactics. hmmmmmmmmmm, that could work with me too! there are loads of pics i could put up.
01/09/2008 at 15:57

Being lazy is so easy though, im naturally a lazy person and could quite happily do nothing...if only i didnt get fat that way!

A charts a good way to go, ive got one too, love highlighting off the days ive done! Hope her knee is better soon and you get out for your walk tonight!

I could put up every photo taken of me in the last 4 years as a shock tactic!!!

Edited: 01/09/2008 at 15:57
01/09/2008 at 16:01

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just about to print the plan and get out tonight.

When you guys chat do you setup a new thread or just post in this one.

Nic - tried your link but it didnt work as I'm not currently a subcriber to the magazine (YET). For shame!!

01/09/2008 at 16:04

Blue KJ

Thanks for you suggestion - hadnt thought about that but definately will.

Anybody know any 5K fun runs in and around Bath area?

01/09/2008 at 16:08

oh yeah forgot about the subscriber only stuff! Its basically just an article about the benefits of run walk, some people even improved marathon times using it!

We just post in this one to keep everything together, we had to start a new one as we got to 1000 posts and didnt want to scare people off with a huge amout of threads!

If you go to the events tab above you can do a search for events in your area, dont think its subscriber only!

01/09/2008 at 16:12

Hi Ryan, I'm not sure how close this is to you ...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=41645

It was the only one that I could find near Bath (please forgive my lack of geographical nouse, but is Bath in somerset?)

Edited: 01/09/2008 at 16:13
01/09/2008 at 16:14
Odd question Mark but did you go to Southampton Uni?
01/09/2008 at 16:15
No, I just have a really common name
01/09/2008 at 16:16
or is that a slight about the standard of geography they teach?
01/09/2008 at 16:21
 I didn't do Geography, but they certainly took it easy! 
201 to 220 of 24,144 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.