Newbies 2

Anyone just starting out? (continuation of Newbies thread)

23,801 to 23,820 of 24,144 messages
30/05/2012 at 09:21

Morning All,

Thanks Claire i'm having to stop all running now as my joints in my knees are now painful, like you said rest it all in the hope it will be better by a week on saturday if it's not then i will just have to walk the course instead and then get myself ready for the 5k in july that im doing with my daughter.

Does anyone know of a running club in somerset that i could go to? the only problem i would find would be that i would not be able to keep up with. Does it matter if you don't keep up with them as i'm a slow runner anyway and i would not want to keep people back. so would joining a club be the right thing for me? i'm not sure.

keep up the good work everyone it's really good when you get people you don't know boosting you up. thanks guys

30/05/2012 at 09:32
I'm part of a running club and I am a slow runner, thankfully there are some other runners that are around my pace so I tend to go running with them. Go and try a couple of clubs, they should let you. Some seem to only want fast runners, where as others like mine are happy to accept folk as long as they enjoy running. Maybe find phone number of someone and give them a call and see what they say. It is good to have the support there at races of other team members, even though they may not be always there to cheer me in but its great to have a team around. It's a shame not in same area.
30/05/2012 at 14:30

I wasn't chasing a time that's possibly another reason why it was slower, although I do aim to be under 60 mins. Oh and email alerts aren't working here either!

Edited: 30/05/2012 at 14:31
30/05/2012 at 20:27

Heh heh: knew I could beat that time from Monday:-

Run Time: 25:01
Stopped Time: 0:00
Distance: 1.99 miles
Average: 12:34 /mile
Fastest Pace: 8:23 /mile

Not a vast improvement, and neither the fastest pace nor furthest I've travelled since starting, but in this heat and with a mild headache (which cleared almost immediately during the run) I'm fairly happy with this.

Would be nice to get down to 12:00 /mile for the final run this week if I can...

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement again  

Edited: 30/05/2012 at 20:27
30/05/2012 at 21:02

Hi Everyone-thanks for the advice, Cheeze- not sure what pronating is, but as I've just bought my first ever Running magazine, I guess I'll find out. Going to try to find my nearest SweatShop ( I live in the sunny North West) and see how it goes...

Only did 2 miles tonight, in 17 mins. Felt awful- flat footed and wobbly, and it was so close outside, I was convinced it was going to rain...didn't swallow any flies this time, but got beeped at by some ladz in a red car (who's voices hadn't quite broken!)...gonna start going off-road soon, I think!

The main thing is that, even after a long day at work, and all the other stuff I had to do, I still went and didn't stop...for someone like me who isn't big on personal discipline, this on its own is something of an achievement- and I know I will enjoy the next one...

30/05/2012 at 21:13
Emarkm - well done. Can I ask what do you use to get your stats?

Missdiane - well done to you too. I can't do 2miles yet so I envy you
30/05/2012 at 21:25
Diane - don't know which part of North west your in but round me there is a Sweatshop at Ribby Hall at Wrea Green, one in Chorley and one in Arndale Centre in Manchester. Probably more but those are ones I know anyway whereabouts are you? I'm in sunny Blackpool. Well Done on your run, don't feel down about it everyone has bad runs just chalk it up and move on to the next

Cheeze - Strange isn't it why they aren't working.

Mark - Another good solid run. Well Done!!

Sam - you'll get to 2miles. Then before you know it 3miles, then 4, then 5 then a 10k every faith in you.
30/05/2012 at 21:48
Samantha - I'm using Runmeter for the iPhone, and cannot recommend it highly enough. It has heaps of extra stuff that I don't blog here, like graphs, maps, full history, vocalised announcements, infinitely-variable activities, intervals and so-on.

It's a cracking piece of kit, but only available on iPhone, it seems. No other phone OS is supported, and the iPod can't use it as it needs the GPS and data capabilities.
30/05/2012 at 22:20
Personally I use runkeeper and find it perfect.

There's a sweatshop on Hyde also missdianelouise

Strangely I've also had a few cars beep at me but it's usually scallies taking the mick because I'm out running in the hot weather. Oh how I wish I could be just like them.
31/05/2012 at 10:36

morning all, i to use runkeeper and i love it, it gives me a time check every 5 mins and tells me how far ive gone and at what pace i'm going at. i find this really good as i can keep a check on how i'm doing with out getting it out of my pocket.

Sam i'm like you i could not runn for 2 miles but i just pushing myself and then one day i did it. WOW me do that brill now i can run 10k in just under 1h half i hope to be able to beat that on the 9th june when i do my 10k, but i have had lots of leg problems and have not been able to run at all for the last two weeks. even if i beat it by 2 mins that better then nothing of me seeing i've had a very big op at the begining of this year and it went all wrong for me so i'm not right at the moment, but i need something to try and get me back on my feet and running is the best way as it's free to.

Thanks claire for that i will look on the internet and see if i can find one if not i will continue to run on my own.

Hope you all have a good day

31/05/2012 at 13:08

Hi all))

Ive just signed up to our local half marathon at the end of Oct this year.

I haven't ran for years and I dont think I could do five minutes now without stopping.

I dont know what possesed me to do it but hey ho-let the games begin lol!!

Just need to find out HOW to do it now;)))

Great to be here btw))

Best wishes

Issyx

www.hookytime.blogspot.com

31/05/2012 at 13:32
Have a look at the training plans on this site, there's an 8 week beginners one to get to 5k. If you've run in the past you may progress quicker than 8 weeks. I've never run before and I skipped ahead a few times on that plan and did it in just under 6 weeks. A week later I ran 10k although that was pushing it. I'm now doing an 8 week half marathon plan loosely. I've now a total of 9 weeks running under my belt and I run 10k at least once a week as one of my sessions. Like I say, I am possibly overdoing it a touch but so far so good and I'm feeling good. I had slight shin splints about 4 weeks in but the correct trainers seem to of sorted that.
31/05/2012 at 22:29

Claire- I'm the other end of Lancashire- Colne, not far from the North Yorks border- bandit country! It's also incredibly hilly- the Pennines! I've got a flat road to run on, but am looking forward to starting on some hills...might check out if there's a SweatShop in Leeds, as it's closer, otherwise I'll just go to Manchester- thanks!

Cheez- you are amazing- did you go straight from 5 to 10K in one go? Would like to go beyond 5K soon...feel I might have it in me but not just yet and since I've left it 47 years before I got going, it'll wait a bit longer I reckon!

Really looking forward to running tomorrow night-nothing like it for clearing the working week out of the system- thanks again everyone- your encouragement is fantastic, and I'm really enjoying seeing how everyone's getting on- looks like we all have out little triumphs and tragedies on the running front- brilliant to feel I'm not alone or (too) mad!

31/05/2012 at 23:19

lol I wouldn't say amazing, stupid more like. It's not advised, I just got carried away. First time was because I went out with a mate who's done marathons and he just kept on ..'just a little further, it's all in your mind, keep going'.... and when I felt no ill effects on it I just built 1 10k run per week into my routine.

31/05/2012 at 23:32

right-o- I'll try that. To be honest, that was exactly how I got from 2 to 3 miles...just felt right at the time...

01/06/2012 at 09:33

Morning All

Well not much to report went for a 4mile fartlek run yesterday, I loved it! just playing about with the speed off your running with no set targets or pace. Oh plus it was raining so that was an added bonus especially after the hot runs of late.

Hi Isabelle and welcome  Well Done for signing up for a half marathon. Best advice I would give is fine a plan and try to follow that. I used Hal Higdon Novice for the London marathon and it got me round. His plans are easy to follow. Any questions please ask away.

Diane - I would imagine there is a Sweatshop or other good running shop in Leeds.... Running wise just do as you have been doing just try going a little further and you will get there, just try not to over do it as that where injuries happen. On long runs when I have started to struggle I just pick something in the distance and make myself run to that, then if dont need a little walk break I pick another object and do the same, 9times out of 10 for me it works it just keeps me going.

Anyway i am hoping to get out first thing tomorrow to do 12miles. Got a half marathon on 17th June.

01/06/2012 at 21:08

Evening All...well I meant to go steady, but ended up doing the run (5K) in 25 mins...felt great to be honest and it was a lovely evening...but I'm gonna definitely be a bit more disciplined and go more slowly and a bit further on Sunday...thanks Claire. I do have a few landmarks that I focus on - a church spire, a white gable end and a house with a flag in the garden...it changes every now again, which keeps things interesting!

Just wondering about getting some kind of watch/running timer..any thoughts, guys?

Thanks again!x

01/06/2012 at 21:33
That's a good time. I ran 5k last night when it was cooler and managed 25:38, my fastest time to date. My previous fastest was over 27 minutes so I was pretty please with that. Not sure I can do it any faster yet. I'm going to do one of the park runs in a couple of weeks.
01/06/2012 at 21:49

hi all,

sorry didnt get any notificatons grrrrrr.....thanks, i'll keep pushing myself but not done anything this last week i got pretty awful sunburn on sunday during the EMF and not been great with it but its ok now so back to it sunday.....off to get some proper running shoes tomorrow before i do anything else

Thanks EMarkM I don't have an iphone...windows phone for me but i do use runkeeper to track my walks on facebook and it does the trick for me but i can see me wanting something that gives me more info so watch this space lol.......

cheers peeps x

02/06/2012 at 07:00
Morning All

I use a garmin 205 forerunner watch. You can set it to do all sorts but the basic info of time, pace and distance is displayed when out running. Plug it into pc when home it tells you mile times, calories burnt etc. You can set it so your able to do intervals and it will just bleep at you to let you know when you need to slow down or speed up. Yes the map side of things on the computer is very very basic but it's enough and running to me is more about getting out there and doing it anyway the watch cost me about ??80 3-4 years ago. There are lots of different models that do tons of different things but the newer ones do go upto about ??400!!!

Run time for me
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.