Newbies 2

Anyone just starting out? (continuation of Newbies thread)

23,901 to 23,920 of 24,144 messages
09/06/2012 at 15:41
Well done Suzanne, bet you feel great.

A little tip for you if I'm not too late. If you can hold off the hot bath then do so, as tempting as it is. It's something I used to do but the heat increases the blood flow to your legs and can inflame them more meaning you'll be even stiffer than normal tomorrow. If you are not planning on running for a few days and don't mind the stiffness then don't worry just jump in and relax. But if you want to ease up the stiffness then take a cool shower and if you can put some ice on those tired legs for 20 mins at a time once an hour for a few hours.

But like I said if the stiffness doesn't bother you just soak in that bath, you've earned it.

For me, I was scheduled a run on Thursday but because my wife works late and we have 2 small children I had to leave it. I am due to run tonight but only have time for 2-3 miles so I am considering skipping that one and doing another 8 miler tomorrow. I've not run since Tuesdays 8 miles so I'm feeling guilty about such a big gap.
09/06/2012 at 18:13
Well done Suzanne. Great effort!
09/06/2012 at 19:02
Cheeze439 thanks for that I wished I had seen it soon as I did jump straight into the bath ops lol look like I'm going to be really stiff tomorrow then oh well I'm planing to have a couple of rest days as my left knee really hurts this is the first time that it has played up. I think couple days rest then out running again ready for the 15th July when I do the 5k with my youngest daughter.

Thanks Del
09/06/2012 at 19:09

Well done Suzanne- I'm sure the bath was worth it!

Hadn't run for a few days (owrk, life, kids, weather etc...), but went out in the rain and wind today and really enjoyed it- a friend of mine said she prefers to run in colder, even wet weather, and I can see why...not going to make a major habit of it, but at least I know I'll be Ok when the summer's over (now??!). Did 5K in just under 25mins, so I guess the cold did some good!!

09/06/2012 at 19:12
You'll be fine, it's nice and soothing at the time. I think they recommend leaving it 12 hours before a hot bath.
10/06/2012 at 08:19

Suzanne Well Done!!! Great time there. Dont worry about the bath thing I always have a hot bath/shower when home and it doesn't make any difference to how I am the next day. I am definately no expert but to be honest ive not heard of leaving it 12 hours before a hot bath/shower. Ice baths are supposed to be best but to be honest I lasted about 20seconds in one and just had to have the heat. ha ha. Think a proper stretch out afterwards is best. Plus a good shuffle after a race is something to be proud of

Diane I was out in the rain yesterday too, it was great!! Thats a great time for 5k, your alot faster than me. I did 7.5 miles in 1hr 14 ish, but I was just covering the distance and not going for any time.

10/06/2012 at 10:21

Suzanne & MDL - well done on a cracking couple of runs there.

As for me, well I can run 5K again! This morning's less than stellar effort is the first 5K run I have completed for a very long time.

(It's actually a bit over the 3.11 as I selected the wrong activity on my phone before starting - 10K! - and began to get a bit suspicious when I had got over the halfway distance but not had the instruction to turn back. In the end I made my own decision to turn back, but had to manually stop the application, so I took a few extra steps.)

Extra info for anyone quietly smiling at my rather lowly time: all my runs since joining here have been along the same bit of canal towpath, which is a rough, undulating surface, prone to flooding and undergrowth, with several very steep climbs at the locks and, with this new 5K distance, a lock to cross over which has to be done slowly.

I'm not going to leave it too long before doing a road 5K, just to compare pace. Anyway:-

Run Time: 39:18
Stopped Time: 0:00
Distance: 3.16 miles
Average: 12:25 /mile
Fastest Pace: 7:52 /mile

10/06/2012 at 11:45

You know, I do keep meaning to go further...I've got suck on a fixed distance and need to push on, and slow down...Yesterday, with the gait analysis stuff stuck in my head and something I read on 'tribesports' (anyone checked it out? good for personal challenges..)about keeping upright and straight, elbows in etc..I was REALLY concentrating on how I was running. Oh, and I had to keep avoiding low branches- this rain has made all the trees grow!!! ...Anyway all the ideas I had about doing a longer run went out of the window...boy, this stuff is more complicated than I thought!

Cheeze- I feel your guilt - never thought I'd feel bad about NOT running since tuesday!

EMM- the point is you didn't stop- well done, especially given the obstacles!

Claire- I'd love to work up to your distance- tomorrow I go for 6K...(well, it's a start!)

10/06/2012 at 16:52

Mainly posting to bump the thread past all the nonsense spam. Spent the last half hour adding the spammers to my ignore list but it's never ending.

Anyway, 8-10 miles planned for this evening to make up for missing a few days this last week. My wife will be on maternity leave soon which will make life easier on my running schedule and I'll be able to get out more. I'll post back how the run goes.

I tried an ice bath once, didn't get past my ankles, I can deal with cold but that was like having knives stab at me. I'm no expert on the hot bath/cold bath thing but if you google around there are a lot of places advising against hot baths after a workout. I suppose it's down to the individual really, our bodies handle things their own way and differently to each other. I just know that a few weeks ago after a 10k I went against my own advice and took a nice hot bath, lovely and soothing, until I woke up the next day and could hardly bend my legs lol.

10/06/2012 at 17:11
Cheeze i did have a hot bath but my knees started to really hurt about an hour afterwards i could not climb the stairs without being in pain. Lol but this morning seems fine for me im not stiff which is good my knees seems ok but a little pain this afternoon so its a quite day today and tomorrow for me then maybe on Wednesday i will go for a 2 mile run and then just keep increase the miles as i go. Lol
10/06/2012 at 17:19
You'll be fine, you'll find after half a mile or so the stiffness will be gone. It's always worse when you've been sat down for a while. Tiger balm cool is quite soothing you ache.
10/06/2012 at 17:32

I will give that a try as if im like this when ive done a 10k what am i going to be like when i do the half marathon in oct. i will be crawling over the finish line lol as long i get over the finish line i don't mind about the stiffness or the pain as it will be worth it. LOL

10/06/2012 at 17:46
Your body adapts. After my first 2 mile run I ached for days now it hardly bothers me. Same with the first 10k, quite stiff for 2-3 days. 2 weeks later. Ran it again and I just had a little next day stiffness but recovered quickly. My first 8 mile last week I ached like the first 10k but recovered quicker than that. You'll probably find after each distance increase you ache a little longer that first time but the next time won't be so bad. Just try to avoid big increases (says the man jumping from 8 miles to 10 miles tonight). You'll know when you are ready for a little more. I ran a 10k each week for about 3 weeks and on the last one I just knew I could of carried on, sp the next time I ran 8 miles. When I did that I also felt that I had another mile or two in me hence tonight's 10 miler... If I make it that far. I've been told that once you reach 10k distance and run that regularly then you find it much easier to increase the distance than when you were leading up to the 10k. Run a couple of 2-3 milers this next week or do then try a 10k in about 3 or 4 runs time. You will probably surprise yourself.
10/06/2012 at 17:58

Thanks for that and gd luck on your run tonight i hope to get out there on wednesday and do something. Do you think road running is better then the canel or grass running as i found when we were on the path i had more grip with my trainers then on the grass? just need to find some good routes as done all the ones around here my have to run to Burnham and back LOL

11/06/2012 at 02:01
Dianne you'll get there no problems

Mark Awesome work on the 5k distance!! It's a big mark that. 10k next you'll get there.

Re increasing distance you only add 10% and every third week drop distance down giving your body time to recover.

Re stiffness after a race/running stretching is the key! Ice baths are the best but honestly stretch loads then shower/bath as normally do and soon you will be fine. I know I will be more used to running longer distances with marathon training, but I found stretching more and more as distance increased was the key.

Suzanne - its personal preference with road/trail and cross country running. I find road running easier but running on different surfaces especially grass or sand tougher but it strengthens your legs, only bit is you will be a bit slower running time wise.
11/06/2012 at 07:23
Last nights run was a bit of a mixed bag. I set off intending to do ten miles and a friend joined me. Just under half way his knee started to hurt so we took a diversion to drop the run down to 8 miles. I tried one of the energy gels for the first time at 6 miles as I was flagging a little. As I reached 7 miles I decided to carry on after 8 miles to the 10 I'd originally planned as I felt I could do. Within half mile I developed excruciating stomach ache that definitely wasn't a stitch. It was bordering on unbearable but with about half a mile to reach 8 miles I pushed through it, I was in agony though. So 8 miles it was again in the end. I think that energy gel caused the stomach ache, I'm convinced of it, I won't be using those again, back to the Jelly Babies instead.

Anyway it was 8 miles in 1:10:53, about 30 seconds slower than last week but I did have to stop to tie my shoe halfway and also that last half mile was ran at a crawl due to the stomach ache. All in all I'm pretty pleased but wish I could of made the 10 mile mark.
NV
11/06/2012 at 11:46

Hi all,

Not had a chance to read back, but it looks like everyone is running well . Had a couple of weeks off work and went away on holiday for the second week. Got a couple of good long rides done the first week, but mainly carb loaded last week

ig week planned this week. Run to work tomorrow (10 miles each way), hill session Wednesday, 4k swim Thursday, rest Friday, 100 mile ride Saturday, 20 mile run Sunday. Then tapering

Claire is right about the ice baths. Best way to recover, but not fun. I usually have a stretch, ice bath after a really big session, then a shower. Normal sessions would be stretch then shower.

11/06/2012 at 12:45
Hi all,

Not had chance to catch up but hope everyones ok. Just found out I won a competition at the running shop I go to so im happy enough.

Gym assessment tonight to see how im progressing

Take care all
11/06/2012 at 19:09

Hey I have a quick question...

I gave blood last week, and went for a run two days after... and I felt so sluggish!  Could only manage about half my usual distance and just felt so lethargic.  Could that be connected to the donating blood?

I am now also coming down with a cold, I don't want to lose the momentum I've built up by running regularly for nearly 10 weeks but I don't want to make myself any more ill.

Should I take a few days off til I feel normal again or can you 'run through' a cold?

Thank you x

NV
12/06/2012 at 11:17

10.1 miles this morning into work in atrocious weather. Hope it stops before this evening.

harpyangel, I reckon the cold is more likely to be responsible for the sluggishness than the blood donation. As long as the cold doesn't spread to your chest, then you should be fine to run. I often feel better after a run with a cold, blows a few cobwebs away. That said, listen to your bosy and if it doesn't feel right, stop.

Cheeze, not all gels are equal.Try a few different types. Nothing wrong with jellybabies though. Shouldn't need them for 10 miles though. You have enough stored glycogen for 90+ minutes of exercise.

What did you win Samantha?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.