Newbies 2

Anyone just starting out? (continuation of Newbies thread)

23,921 to 23,940 of 24,144 messages
12/06/2012 at 12:20
Won a pair of nike free run+ trainers, have to pick them up Saturday.
That was a good run to work ... My gym instructor has changed my programme and now im just on cross trainer for next four weeks....how does this help ruunners please?....didnt get chance to ask last night
12/06/2012 at 12:27
I think cross trainers work on your aerobic levels and muscles but without the impact of actually running. I know they are recommended for injured runners sometimes along with swimming when you are concerned about being injured and undoing all your hard work by not running.
12/06/2012 at 12:30
Ah I see. Thanks cheese
12/06/2012 at 13:55

Just thought id pop in an say "hi". Iv been ghosting around the board for a while. Iv been doing several miles a day on the way to work for the last few years as part of my general workout but im getting into races this year so I guess you could say im a "new racer" rather than a "new runner". Im actually doing my first "proper race" tonight….. And im doing one of the Spartan Sprints next month. My aim is to combine my running and swimming and do a few Aquathlons in future

Outside running I'm also heavily into my swimming, climbing, trekking, mountaineering and winter sports

Cheers

Edited: 12/06/2012 at 13:58
12/06/2012 at 15:23

Hi All

Not done any running this week, my knee has beenn giving me a little bit of grief so im resting in prep for the half on Sunday.

NV - Nice to see you back  Carb loading is great I loved doing that in the training  Well done on the run in bad weather, are you running home after work too?

Harpyangel - As NV said best thing is to listen to your body especially when your not 100% if it just feels like a total struggle when your out running probably the best thing to to would be to stop. Hope your feeling better soon

Sam - Well done on the trainers!! Cross training I think also gives variety in the training, I do lots of other things along with the running, just keeps it all fun.

Ian - Hi and Welcome to the forum. Good Luck in the race tonight. What distance is it? Crossing that finish line is amazing on your first race. Let us know how you get on.

Cheeze - Nv is right there are lots of different gels. having tried a few myself I find I can only stomach the Lucozade ones, where as other friends cant stand them. Likewise I cant stand jelly babies, but like the haribo jelly sweets.... its all trial and error

NV
12/06/2012 at 16:12

Hi Claire, good to be back. I far prefer being blown around and rained on to lazing by a pool in the Med  

Ian, welcome. Buy a bike and crack on with the triathlons  Good luck with your race. The rule is: Full race report immediately afterwards  

12/06/2012 at 16:37
Think I'd prefer the lazing by the pool option myself hope you had a good holiday
12/06/2012 at 18:26

Thanks Claire

12/06/2012 at 20:20

Hi everyone- and well done on all your recent triumphs!...just wondering if any of you run on your own? I do at the moment, and though in the short time I have been running (is it 6 weeks already?), I always have done, I'm wondering what the benefits of running with others is? I have managed (somehow) not to stop (even once!), but thought maybe having someone who runs at my pace (or a bit faster?!) would be good, or a bit demotivating? Thinking of joining a local running club/parkrun, but to be honest I am still a bit self conscious-any thoughts?

Also, is an aquathlon like a tri, without the cycling?

One final question- I have a child free evening tomorrow - should I do a longer run, or go for a swim?...answers on a postcard....

12/06/2012 at 21:30

hi all, remember me... sorry not been on, the new format annoys me and i've been a little busy believe it or not. been doing a little bit of running lately, i was in Whitby last week and did some nice runs on what i can only describe as HILLS! even the downhill was uphill! no long distance just about 2.5 miles a go, but at a reasonable pace given the inclines. Off to france for a training week next week so will actually do a fair bit of running, riding and dare i say it, swimming...

Welcome new newbies BTW

13/06/2012 at 09:03

Cheers for the welcome guys! 

Last night was a 5 mile run/race.  2 miles through parkland the rest on roads.  I came in just over 33 minutes which I too wasn't displeased with.  Don't know my overall place yet, waiting for them to publish it on the web  Still felt that I had more "in the tank" when id finished which means that a) I should have picked up my pace and headed "up the pack" sooner in the race b) I can quite happily do 10K races which is may aim anyway.  However in the last 1.5 miles (as I picked up the pace) my socks started rubbing and I now have a blister on the instep of both my feet.

NV - I would look at doing tri's but I have no real way of transporting the bike.  And with everything else I do, im not sure I could fit cylce training into the week.  Unless I gave up work.  Maybe I could find the time soon as I intend to win the Euromillions next week........

13/06/2012 at 20:03

Did a proper circular run in the pouring rain and it felt great! Thought it would take about 45 mins so I took it easy, but the run must have been shorter than I thought so I was only out 32 mins. Used Walk Jog Run to work it out afterwards and taking into account some slippy surfaces and uneven paths, it works out at my usual pace...looking forward to my running watch arriving so I can add an extra 10-15 mins. Have to say I really enjoyed the variety, and also met some other runners (twice! the joy of a circle!!).

One other thing- what's the best way to run down a hill? I leant forward a little because I was worried about putting too much into my heels...

13/06/2012 at 20:42

Ian, you really could have a crack at a tri, they're great fun and very friendly on the main anyway. Plus you get to do 3 times the training! What could be better than that???

well I managed to get over my dislike of the nbew forum layout a little bit and will try and post a little more...

managed to run home from work today, took it quite easy 44'05 for the 5.8 miles. Had a massive bag with me - 45litre daysack...but i needed to get it home as i won't have  a chance other than today before i head to france on tuesday.  I am now extremely excited.

mdl - i like to run in the rain unless its too heavy, then i can't do it as it causes too many blisters. Re running downhill you should try to take short steps, let gravity take you-if you need to slow then you should push straight upwards, leaning back can cause injuries so its best not to do that.

NV
14/06/2012 at 08:12

Morning all,

Cycle to the race Ian

Are you racing in France MD?

15/06/2012 at 09:48

Morning All

Well Im a year older but non the wiser  was my birthday on Wednesday. So out celebrating with some good friends.

Went for a run yesterday, I havent had the chance to look at the stats yet..... think it was a pretty average paced run for me. Knee seems to be ok so as long as im not suffering with gggrrrr hayfever on sunday I will be ok to do the half marathon. Have never felt this under prepaired for anything in my life! ha ha ha

MD - Nice to see you back and that you have been training  Good run there with a big sack slowing you down.

Dianne Good run there, I like running in the rain too. I find running downhill just to go with the gravity and somehow I speed up and get energy back.

Ian Great time that for a 5miler. Very fast!!

15/06/2012 at 20:07

not a race NV its tri training camp...not that i have any distance races coming up - oly and sprint this year... should be a riot though theres 16 of us from the club going so sure to be a load of cock ups

Oh happy birthday Claire!!!!!!

15/06/2012 at 20:08

does anyone else have trouble with the forum taking you about 20 pages back??? I can't work out why its doing that...

16/06/2012 at 07:42

Happy birthday Claire

Hullo to everyone else.

Life has been chaos this week (family/home/work) so no runs since my last report, but I'm just off out for a little 5K right now (in the wind...)

I'll report back in later on. 

16/06/2012 at 07:48

Hey guys! Have been lurking on the boards for a while but have decided to poke a toe into the proverbial water!

I've been running for a really short time - about 4 months. I have my first 5k tomorrow in the relaxed setting of a Race for Life. I'll be relying on my trusty cheapie stopwatch to record my time! Hoping to enter the world of the far more hi-tech GPS sports watch if i manage to complete the course tomorrow!

Have signed up for the great north 10k next month so am treating tomorrow as a bit of a trial run. 

16/06/2012 at 08:05
Morning All

Thanks for birthday wishes had too much of a good time. So weekend off the alcohol ha ha

MD - yep does that stupid thing of going to random pages for me too. Gggrrrr

Mark - have a good run

Holly - Hi and Welcome Good Luck for tomorrow you'll love it!! Just take it steady and enjoy the day. You'll love crossing the finish line on your first race it's fab. Plus like you say a great training run for your 10k
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.