Newbies 2

Anyone just starting out? (continuation of Newbies thread)

21 to 40 of 24,144 messages
27/08/2008 at 15:59

Osanago welcome

how new to running are you, I hope I can do 10k in 1hr 2 mins.

27/08/2008 at 16:07

God i just love to moan! lol.

Ok im going to go gym, but it would be so much easier to just walk home instead!

Im just far to lazy for this running stuff! But i have remembered my earphones and ipod this time so i can listent o my music ont he stuff at the gym, might make it slightly less boring! x

lxr
27/08/2008 at 16:10

Just a quick post to put down my goals (slightly edited from previous version):

1 - To complete my 5K race in under 36mins

2 - To lose at least 1/2 stone (ideally 1 stone) by Xmas

3 - To get out and run 3 times a week

4 - To improve on my 5K time  (sorry Jackie - stole this from you I think)

5 - To be able to run 7.5K by the end of October

PS Welcome to Osango, Sarah and Diane! 

27/08/2008 at 16:13

Hi Jackie,

Pretty new, a couple of months now but have really only manage 1 run a week! My last one was Wednesday & have been out of commission since unfortunately. I usually run a 5 mile route but haven't had much opportunity to improve my pace, think I have to be more structured & introduce some treadmill running with intervals it is just I find the treadmill incredibly boring!

Thanks, Osa x

A J
27/08/2008 at 16:21

Hi peeps,

New bloke alert...been running 4 months and up to a confident 7 miles and there is room for more. My last run  (Mon 25th Aug) was 7.11 miles in 53.37, not sure if that's the sort of time i should be running but i'm fairly pleased with it?!

It's good to be amongst people who have the same interest, as most people i know think i'm nuts...although  they are mainly overweight ......

27/08/2008 at 16:56

HI AJ, That's a really good time. I'm aiming for that sort of time for a 10k I have coming up in a few weeks and I will be very pleased if I make it, so well done. 

Lisa, Osasago, the gym can be boring particularly on the treadmill, my gym has tried to combat this with tv's in the control panel, but at my height (only 5'11'' or so) all they do is give me a neck ache... I tend to find though that once I am going it is much easier and i set myself a target then every time I'm close i push the target further back (maybe i'm a masochist) but it seems to work.

Lisa, you are right those alpen bars are not, in any way shape or form, a substitute for a good bar of chocolate, which is all i have been able to think of this afternoon. Still, i will stay strong.

27/08/2008 at 17:37

Welcome Sarah, Osanga and AJ(i hope ive remembered everyone!)!! So glad that starting the thread again has got so many extra people joining in (good thinking Jac!!).  I hope you get out of it what i have...lots of motivation and advice and laughs!! Its nice to have people who arent bored when you prattle on about running as they want to talk about it just as much haha!!!

Went to the gym this afternoon.  Had popped into town to buy a christening pressie, met some of the guys from my platform for a (soft) drink and by 2.30 i was knackered and really couldnt be arsed going to the gym but thought sod it if i dont go i will just feel guilty all night....wish i hadnt bothered, i lasted 20mins on the x trainer and about 8mins on the rowing machine and gave up it was so embarassing walking out 30mins after arriving! My calf was too sore to risk trying to run and nothing else was keeping my interest!  Ho hum, going to do a gentle session on grass tomorrow to see how it goes with the calf.

Hope you get on better in the gym than me Lisa!  Hopefully once you get going it wont seem so bad!

Well done on the weight loss Mark!  Ive bought a measuring tape so i can record measurements rather than weight as ive been reading in threads that people notice a difference in measurements more than weight?!  My gym only has tv's in the control panels in the recumbent cycles which i never use.  Ive almost fallen off the treadmill trying to watch the tv's that hang from the ceiling!

27/08/2008 at 18:01
Thanks for all the lovely welcomes, advice & encouragement, am feeling a bit down as I have been injured for a week, got some good advice from the injury page about wearing high heels to help with heel pain & put a pair on today, can honestly say I can feel the difference already. I am hoping with a weights & spin class tomorrow evening & wearing high heels the next couple of days I will be fit to run in this 10k on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Osa xx
27/08/2008 at 18:11

Hi Osa,

My fingers and toes are crossed!! Its so horrible being injured! Ive had a niggly calf and havent done anything since Saturday. Its frustrating!!  Take it easy though, you dont want to make it worse!!

Nic x

27/08/2008 at 18:54
Thanks Nic, crossing your toes might prove to be an effective calf stretch!! Sorry to hear you are injured too, I have done no impact since Wednesday, just a couple of spin classes but I really think wearing ballet pumps & thumping about in them has exacberated the problem. As I am doing this duatholon on the 13 of September I am only going to decide to run the 10k on Sunday morning, I don't want to make it worse, thanks!

Osa xx
27/08/2008 at 19:10

Hi Everyone,

i've just started out running and not sure about what timings are good and what i should be working towards, i am looking to do a half marathon in october, is this achieveable and what kind off training should i be doing to work towards this?

Roxy xxx

27/08/2008 at 19:58
Welcome Roxy to the Newbie family. What times/distances have you been doing. To be honest I think timings are a personal think. If you're uncomfortable going too fast it'll only put you off running. Well that's coming from a plodder, and to be honest think I'll always be a plodder but the main thing is I'm running!!!!

TTN sorry the gym session wasn't so good but at least you went even though you're knackered. Hope the calf is feeling better, do you think its something you might need to see a doctor about?

Osa sorry you're injured. So far managed to avoid injuries (touch wood).

Welcome AJ and well done on the 7 miles. Still stuck at just over 3 miles after 5 months, but need to improve on that as I've just signed up for a 10K.

Lisa how did the gym go

CJ did you have a good day

Darren/meglet/Fwitsend and everyone else hope you're all OK

Had a good run tonight, ran 35 mins non stop, next aim (according to 10k training plan) need to run 40/45 mins non stop eek
27/08/2008 at 20:01
i've only been for a coiple of runs, the last one was about 2.5 miles in 30 mins but was in a group doing a bit of walking in between. is it unrealistic to think i can do the half marathon in october?
27/08/2008 at 20:07

Hi everyone,

Wow what a difference a few days make, so many newbie newbies again, I can't keep up with you all.

My last few days at work have been really hectic. Coupled with long hours it hasn't left me a lot of time to get on here.

Went out today for my virgin run 7 walk 2 x3. Managed x2 as my ankles and shin was hurting again. I have decided that things deffinately aren't right down there and I will be booking a visit to the physio for next week. Im so frustrated though as if it hadn't been for the pains I could have continued on, and feel fairly confident I could of kept jogging for 10 minutes at least.

Just as a reminder, my goals are:

1) To continue to exercise 3 times a week.

2) To jog for 30 minutes continuously.

3) To complete a 5k jog without stopping.

4) To enter a 5k race

5) To rid myself of the aches and pains i'm suffering.

Darren

27/08/2008 at 20:20

Hi all - hope everyone's ok

No running club tonight - OH had bad news about his best mate today so that took priority.  Will try and do some training tomorrow but may just end up going for a swim after work. 

I don't think I put my goals on other thread so here goes --

1.  Get 5k time down to 35min.

2.  Complete 10k in 1hr 15min max.

3.  Loose 2 stone.

4.  Enter (and complete) a Triathlon in 2009 (totally crazy goal!!)

5.  Enter 1/2 marathon in 2009.

6.  Stay healthy & happy

Clare

27/08/2008 at 20:28
hello again everyone I'm glad you left directions to the new thread. I'm going to have to read it now to catch up...
27/08/2008 at 20:33

Found you!!  BH, spend a day away and come back to 34 new posts!!  Had (noisy!) fun today - bit of R+R needed now.

Fantastic to see all the new posts - hope you all enjoy yourselves on this as much as we do.

Just skimmed through the posts as so much to take in, so will reply later, but:

1. LISA, (CAPS AGAIN!!) IF YOU COME BACK FROM THE GYM AND TELL US THAT YOU DIDN'T DO THE WALK/RUN COMBO, YOU WILL BE IN DEEP DOO-DOO!!!!  Seriously, though, hope it went well - trust me on the walk/run thing - IT WORKS!!
  2. Osa, sounds to me as if your heel pain may be due to plantar fasciitis - I'm the quite an expert on that!!!!  But if I can help, pm if you like, but essentially, get medical advice - physio would be able to confirm probably better than GP and do stretching exercises.  PF is a tendon that runs along underside of foot, gets stressed with running, so tightens up, causing pain, which is felt in and around the heel.  Stretching releases tendon and relieves pain. 

Will find my goals and post, No 2 child calling me to watch Dr Who now, so have to go.  Exterminate, exterminate.

CJ

Edited: 27/08/2008 at 20:34
27/08/2008 at 20:56

Ok I've caught up on the reading

My goals

1) to tone up

2) to be able to run 5K without stopping

3) to lose 7-10 pounds

I can't think of anything else but I'll add new goals if anything comes to mind

for everyone who is curious the running skirts come with either build in shorts or pants. I a few of each so I could try them out. I bought a pair with build in tight shorts to the rig and will probably try them out while I'm out here. They have a pocket on each side and on the right hand side by the pocket there is a little hole for you to thread a head headphone cable through. I'll let you know what they're like when I try them. I might wear shorts tomorrow but I'll definitely wear the running skirt one day.

27/08/2008 at 21:10

Hi again everyone,

Wow this is extra friendly and thanks for advice CJBA, I have an ankle injury & it took a few days for me to realise that there was a lot of pain in my heel in addition to the ankle. I think the cause is bad trainers, got some nike off the internet & they are fakes so have ditched them & am awaiting a new pair, won't attempt to run again til I get them in the meantime I will try stretching them!

Much appreciated, Osa x

PS Hope you manage to stay in front of the couch!

27/08/2008 at 21:27

discovered a few things on tonights run.

if you thread your ipod lead through your top and bra strap and out your sleeve (mine is in an armband holder) it doesnt flap around and annoy you or cause buds to come out of ears (thanks to a thread somewhere else)

dont tie your shoes too tight-just enough to stop foot sliding around

i can make myself keep going even when i really want to stop!-kept picking short targets and telling myself done it before (which i have!)

21 to 40 of 24,144 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.