Newbies 2

Anyone just starting out? (continuation of Newbies thread)

81 to 100 of 24,144 messages
28/08/2008 at 20:17

Evening!

Ooh enjoy your bag of chocolate WC!!  Im very jealous!! Sympathies about not getting the calibration to work, had the same problem today with my garmin watch...was so excited about seeing the graph for my run/walk today and i cant find it! think im going to have to put a post on the gear forum!

Yikes AJ, im jealous both on the weight loss and the mileage/time!! Sounds like your going to have to start eating more, it is good to know that running helps with weight loss though! Shame about your ankle though! Think we are going to have to rename this post to "Ankle Injuries!" everyone seems to be getting them!  Have you upped your mileage a great deal recently?  I had read that your not supposed to increase it by more than 10% each week?

Bet you will be glad to get home lxr! your running gear might be ok, i find that mine drys really quickly! So its not just JJB gym thats too hot then!!! You would think that gyms would have their air con cranked up but they are always far too hot!!!

28/08/2008 at 20:22

Hi Diane!  Ive been thinking about winter approaching and worried it kills my motivation so ive just invested in a waterproof top and a beanie hat so that i have no excuses!!

Your definately better sticking with the run/walk approach! Its really working for me! Im on week 4 of the 8 week plan and was so amazed to complete the first session of wk4 today, what an improvement when i could barely do week 1!!

It could potentially be unsafe to have headphones in, if i wear mine i never have the volume up loud enough to completely block out outside noises.  Ive misplaced my ipod and actually didnt miss it today when i did my first outside run for a couple of weeks!

Running in the rain is brilliant as long as its not too heavy! It really cools you down and feels brilliant! thought my mum was mad when she told me that, until i tried it myself!!

Edited: 28/08/2008 at 20:23
lxr
28/08/2008 at 20:24

Hi Diane -  I love running in the rain!  It keeps me cool(er).  I'll pretty much go out and run whatever the weather, though I'm not too keen when it's really windy - feels like I'm running backwards at times!  So I'd say definitely just get out there and run whatever the weather!

When it comes to headphones - if you're listening to music, either keep the volume down enough so or only have one ear in.  I listen to audio books (slowly wading through the Terry Pratchett Discworld novels at the moment) and find that I'm more aware of what's going around me compared to when I'm listening to music....not quite sure why though?!  

CJBA - hope the computer is sorting itself out.  I don't always get the email notifications either, don't think it's a computer specific thing though, as I access this forum from different machines.

A J
28/08/2008 at 20:31

Hi Nic,

I have upped my mileage big time... I was running only 5 miles 2 weeks ago and now im up to 8, so i think that's where i'm going wrong with the 10% increase per week ....if that's correct and it sounds sensible although i found my last 7 miles really easy?? weird!

Thanks for that

A.J

28/08/2008 at 20:35

Yeah that could be it then, your body wont be used to it and is maybe just complaining!!

28/08/2008 at 21:03

I love running in the rain, too as I can't stand being too hot.  I love the cooling effect and the feeling that I'm doing something that not many people do (mainly because they think it's a bit mad, but hey).

Headphones wise, after some annoying experiences with earphones popping out and the armband for my Sony 20G mp3 player cutting off the circulation in my arm, I'm now set on:  ipod shuffle with sennheiser PMX70 headphone.  The ipod is so small it feels weightless and has a great sturdy clip to attach to your gear.  The headphones wrap around your head and are really secure.  They also have a little clip and the wire is coiled so it doesn't waggle around annoyingly so much when you're running.

28/08/2008 at 21:36

Diane - running in the wet is excellent, as everyone else has said.  And the best shower you will ever have is the one after being out running in the rain.  Heaven!

Music-wise when running, I sometimes take the ipod, sometimes not.  Mr G recently bought me an armband thing which I have used once or twice but I'm not that struck on it.  I did use to steal his headphones that have a band over your head (oh technical me!) but he got fed up with them coming back covered in sweat and make-up so he got me some or my own.  I could never keep the little ipod ones in either.  I don't think it's that dangerous if you don't have it massively loud as I think you learn to keep tuned in to your environment also.  But I run on country roads so am in the habit of looking behind for cars on a frequent basis anyway.

Sorry to hear there are so many sore ankles about!  TTN, I don't think it's time to go to the docs with it yet, far too early days, but I am at a loss as to why it happened.  I was running along quite happily, quite slowly, feeling great.  No pot holes, no trips - nothing!  Ah well.  At least I've had a glimpse that I CAN start back again and it CAN make a difference to my weight, which has crept down 2lb over the last week and a half.  Happy days!

lxr - where in Ireland are you visiting?

28/08/2008 at 21:57

Hi all

Diane. I've just started running too. I'm on week 2 at the moment. I've been browsing the website in the female section and they say that most attacks occur later in the day so as a female you're safest running in the morning and changing your route.

I've been looking online to try and find my headphones and they're sennheiser m75's. They look like normal headphones except for the bud's which are a long straight piece of plastic with an ear bud sticking out halfway along. I've been practising trying to put them in as the picture instructions are very basic. They feel strange in at the moment but they don't fall out and i think I'll get used to them. The only potential problem is I'm not sure if they're too big for my ears, but I think it is more that i haven't really figured out how to put them in properly. I'll keep everyone posted. If they're no good for me it looks like I'll end up passing them on to my fiance and trying out the sennheiser pmx70's. Most people complain that the pmx70's fall out of their ears so I think they are smaller. They come with a behind the head band and have normal ear bud's. I do like the way the m75's stay in an i'm going to try them for 2 weeks and see if i get used to them as believe me they are not going to fall out!

Edited: 28/08/2008 at 22:01
28/08/2008 at 22:19

Evening all,

Glad to see everyone is keeping busy on here. I am currently on nights (last one of two), and I thought I would check in to see whats been happening.

My shin doesn't feel right still, so I have decided on a plan of action. I will reluctantly rest up until it feels good again, and order myself some insoles. The type I have decided to go for are the ones that you put in the oven, and then mold then to your foot. The link for them is below:

http://yoursole.co.uk/products/moreinfo-ultra.htm

If this doesn't cure my problems, which I doubt they will, I will make an appointment at a Physio for some manipulation and advice.

I am convinced that I have Anterior Compartment Syndrome. I fit the bill perfectly, and the symptoms match to a tee.

meglet, I'm sure you mentioned about tying your shoes to tightly. I think I done this on my last outing and may have been a contribution to my arch pain. I have redone the lacing now so that they don't cross over my arch. Hopefully this will sort that side of thinks out. I don't run with music, so I will foget about the tip about my bra strap.

Kelly, good luck with your Interview. I hope it goes well for you.

Nic, what problems are you having with the Forerunner. Have you paired the HRM and or Foot Pod, or was it already paired when you bought it?. As far as I know about them they are fairly easy to set up. I don't use sunglasses myself, but as I add the miles (hopefully) I may look to invest in a pair as I feel that they might aid concentration.

CJ....I like your goals list. Very well structured.......................whats a mojo?

AJ, Your not in a boy band are you?.. Seriously, 8 miles is briliant going. You are well in advance of most of us on here.  I haven't been a 28" waist since I was 16!. You can't come on here talking about BMI and being toned.................where's the lagers, kebabs, and curries?............oh and yes ladies I am jealous!

lxr..........Dreadmills indeed. They do have a purpose though, especially in the winter when there is ice on the ground. Made me chuckle about the flying ants thing. What is it with insects and females?

Fiona, sorry to hear about your ankle problem. I can certainly sympathise with you on the injury front.

Diane, good luck with your session tomorrow. There is nothing wrong with run-walk-run. We all had to start somewhere and most of us are still RWR so keep at it.

I will keep you all updated on how I get on with the insoles. I would hope to have them early next week, at which point hopefully I will feel comfortable enough to go out for a go in them.

All the best everyone

Darren

28/08/2008 at 22:23

Hi

Another late finish but have 6 days off now so can catch up with training   have really been annoyed that I've missed it and am a bit down on myself as I could have really managed to do something but was just feeling too tired!   Not really much of an excuse so have done some major self butt kicking and am off down park tomorrow.

Got to agree on running in the rain - it's brilliant - I tend to get very red and sweaty so it's nice to run and be cooled down at same time!  And Fiona's right It's total heaven when you get in and get in bath or shower

WC I've got Sennheiser PMX70  and I've found the ear pieces fit ok but the neckband is too big and caused problems when wearing a jacket so have switched to Phillips think their SHS 8001 - could be wrong on that though as I've binned the box! - they fit over the ear and have a few ear pieces included so you get the right fit.  Their comfortable to wear even when I'm wearing glasses.

A J
28/08/2008 at 22:35

LOL Darren!!

No i'm not in a boy band....at 35??  I just enjoy keeping in shape and sure i enjoy a few Beers and a curry...but then go berzerk running to get rid of it!

As for the Headphone issue im also using Sennheiser PMX 70's and personally think they are the bees knees and will definately be keeping them! I also use a Sony Sports MP3 player which sits in an velcro Armband which is cofortable and also easy to access.

My latest addition is a Camelback (backpack) Hydration pack, i find it really difficult lifting and drinking out of a Donut Bottle while running.......and i'm not stopping!!!!!

A.J

28/08/2008 at 22:57

I think headphones may have taken over from bra talk! Sorry boy's. Tiger bird, that was reason I decided not to but the PMX70's in the shop. I'm 5"4 and very petite and was worried that the neck band would be too big. The girl in the shop said that the M75's were very good and that she had heard no complaints. I'll see what they are like after 2 weeks on the rig. If they're no good for me I'll either take them back or pass them on to my bloke. He's 6"4 so definitely doesn't qualify as petite

Hey Darren it's nice to see I'm not the only person on nights. I finish at 07:00 CET as I'm in Norway. What time do you finish? I'm guessing you are in a semi normal job so don't work 12 hour shifts. Oh and I have to agree AJ does look like he belongs in a boy band.

Edited: 28/08/2008 at 23:40
29/08/2008 at 00:07

Hiya Welsh Chick,

I'm also on 12 hour shifts. I finish here at 7am GMT. I don't know if you could call my job semi normal. I work for the police in despatch. Some of the things I see don't seem normal at all, but it certainly opens your eyes to what really goes on in this world.

I have a samsung mp3 stick at home that is a couple of years old. I think I will order an armband for it this weekend, and when I go running again I will give the "boogie plodding" a go.

I got some headphones with my Nokia N95, so I will try them before investing in new ones.

All the best

Darren

29/08/2008 at 02:18

Hi Darren,

What do you think about telling everyone else that sunlight is for whimps?

29/08/2008 at 02:25

Hi Welsh Chick,

Hahahahaha, thats a new one. I wouldn't say that it is for whimps, as only half my working life is spent in the darker hours. Still, I do see your point.

29/08/2008 at 04:35
only half my working life is spent in the dark too but we can hope the others don't notice these last two posts
29/08/2008 at 04:39

They will probably put it down to the stupidity of night work!.

Only 2 and a half hours to go now and then thats me off till Wednesday

29/08/2008 at 05:05

Glad to see such enthusiasm (and madness) amongst the newcomers!

29/08/2008 at 08:20

Hi

I've been reading the forums from work for the last few days and thought I'd introduce myself...

I've been going to the gym for the last four months after putting on quite a bit of weight and have managed to loose a good two stone and about 7" from my waist - yay!

On my birthday (end of July) I decided to try a 10k on the treadmill and did it in about 1hr10mins - my main goal was to manage it in under and hour as I used to run a lot a few years ago.  Since then I've managed it in 48mins, and managed a 16k once at the start of this week - although very slow!

Main goals at the moment are to carry on and loose those naughty few inches and start toning up as well as concentrating on stamina for running - I'm hoping that having bought my ipod nano and loading it up with my faves will help!  I also want to get the confidence to get off the treadmill and run outside... hopefully over the next month or two!

Don't know what else to say, love reading the posts here and hope I can take part.

Just wondering about running clubs too - am I too new/inexperienced to think about joining one - will everyone laugh at me etc... how do I find out about them?

Cheers!

Joe

lxr
29/08/2008 at 09:25

Hi Guys,

Just a quick post before getting stuck into work....

Fiona - I'm in Dun Laoghaire just outside Dublin, working in our Ireland office - been here since Tuesday, coming home tonight!

Darren - I have to say I usually don't have a problem with insects (can even cope with spiders, although they're not insects are they?!), but theres' just something about flying ants....at least they only appear for a couple of days a year!

Joe - welcome!   Although I don't belong to a running club myself, I'd say if you want to give it a go then do, some clubs seem to be more beginner friendly than others.  But the first thing to do is to contact them and find out if they have any requirements - e.g. being able to run a certain distance or pace.

I'm sure some of the others on this thread can give better advice than me (i.e. those that already belong to a club!)

81 to 100 of 24,144 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.