Newbies FIRST MARATHONing in 2011

A friendly thread for anyone aiming for their first Mara in 2011

41 to 60 of 96 messages
16/12/2010 at 23:52

Evening all Did (run10, walk 5) x 2 today. Was fab actually, driving hail/snow at one point, but very invigorating.

Jeepers - thanks for your encouragement

k - if you can't find that HR book, you can have mine. I bought it, but HR training didn't suit me, so it's just sitting gathering dust here. I have written on a couple of the pages, but apart from that it's in good nick. I'll happily send it on to you, just let me know - might as well be with someone who can use it!

17/12/2010 at 06:53

You're welcome and glad it went well.

PS Just try to take it one day at a time.  If the day goes well then , but if it doesn't, then leave it behind you and concentrate on the next new day.  Cliche I know, but the only way to get through it.

Edited: 17/12/2010 at 06:56
18/12/2010 at 07:45

Anybody interested in building up a good base in January?

You'd be very welcome here and it's great fun.  This is how I got into higher weekly mileage last year.

Morning, lacebylady, see you've found us over there!  and good for you, it doesn't matter what your mileage is, every single one counts.  When I joined the thread last year, I was only doing around 25 - 30 per week and thought that everyone would be doing far more than me, but not all were.  I was somewhere in the middle of the pack, but it encouraged me to get out there - and if I couldn't do my long runs (family problems) then I split them up and on some days, did 3 x 5m, just to get that daily total up.

If you don't have a specific training plan for January, I'd definitely recommend this - and the threads that come out of it are .

18/12/2010 at 09:15
Thank you for the invite Jeepers, I saw the thread yesterday but was a bit tentative about signing up as I'm a relative newbie. It looks fun and very motivating.
18/12/2010 at 10:00

Don't worry about that, k, it's a really friendly thread and incredibly supportive.  I can't find the thread that we had last year, but it was nothing but encouragement, support and wicked banter.  There were loads of people that I'd never come across, but the team spirit was massive - and everyone really was encouraged.

I've just posted on there that it was a great way for me to up my training.  I was being conservative (age and injuries) with my running, but doubled my weekly mileage, sensibly of course , thanks to the challenge and it made me realise that I'm capable of much more than I'd originally thought.

We're a complete range of ages, experience, distances etc, but we're one great team - do give it a go.

18/12/2010 at 10:12

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/icebreaker_woman_nature150_siren_bikini.html

Just a blatant spam for the Snubbed Six Please enter.

re east vs west oh - the thread last year - the one with all the piccies - we must drag that up. Agree with Jeepers, this site is really inclusive in many respects, so just dive in. It's a great way to keep motivcated when the weather is so cold.

18/12/2010 at 11:25

You mean this one! sugarplum

I couldn't find the actual daily thread that we posted on with our results - that would give you an idea of what it was like too, k.  And anyone else thinking of it.

Aha, found it

Read it and weep - with laughter

(I was CJBA in them days, but imagine that my forum name is still the same as it is now)

18/12/2010 at 13:27

You've convinced me, looks like a lot of fun and I need the motivation.

That and just back from 3 miles in 8 inches fresh snow and a bit of a work out helping to push a car stuck on the hill enroute.

19/12/2010 at 21:19

Hey folks and welcome to new followers to the thread.

Lacybylady - keep going with the running, it is a magnificant  stress/depression buster. I recently started quite a stressful job and its a great way to forget about work and feel good about yourself.

Although I'm feeling pretty bad this week - i've only got out for 1 run due to a combination of being lazy/ice and snow/christmas nights out. Got busy sociable week next week as well so wont get out much and the snow is back with avengence. oh dear!

Well done K on getting out in the snow and helping out.

19/12/2010 at 21:54
Hi casslass I am keeping on going. I just have to keep forcing myself out the door, even when I don't want to go. As long as I keep doing that, I'll be OK . I keep telling myself it's not an option, it's part of my "therapy"
22/12/2010 at 22:38

Great thread you've got going here - it's nice to be able to read it without needing a glossary of running terminology!

I'm hoping to run my first marathon in 2011, but am looking for some advice and encouragement... So far the longest distance I run is 15 miles, the longest race being a half marathon, my best time for which is 1:36.

Anyway, I'm doing the Bath Half in March, which I'm now training for - aiming for a sub-1:30 this time. I'd really like to do the Great Welsh Marathon in Llanelli on April 10th - what do we reckon about having 5 weeks to step up from half-marathon to Marathon? Obviously I'd have to train over-distance for the Half to compensate, but will this mess my pace up etc?

The reason I'm keen is that I'm raising money for Lupus UK to support my sister who has been diagnosed with it this year, and I figured I'd get more sponsorship if I do something like a triple-whammy e.g. 10k, then H/M then Marathon.

I'm 21, and make a habit of doing mad stuff, but would this be pushing too hard? 

23/12/2010 at 17:27
Hi Robin - welcome to the forum and the thread Can't advise on this I'm afraid, I'm a newbie to any distance over 10K, so I'm still learning too.  Plenty of folks on here who will have the info you need tho!
23/12/2010 at 18:07

Robin, you could look at RW UK v RW USA it's a great challenge, I did it last year, can't this year as benched, but the team is still open to new members joining.

24/12/2010 at 05:00

Welcome Robin, can't help on the specifics but your're running for a great cause my sis in law has Lupus too.

Second what Jeepers says about the challenge, I've signed up for the first time

24/12/2010 at 08:01

The other thing that you could do, Robin, is join some of the marathon threads, depending on what time you're aiming for.

There are established threads already (either under VLM or training I guess), then the latest Super Six, think they're under VLM although they're all doing Paris - don't think that the mentors have appeared on those yet, so not sure what's going on in terms of advice.  Think they're using "ready-made" schedules that are up on the side of the threads.  Then - and far more exciting - you've got the Snubbed Six - the same as the Super Six, but mentored by other forumites, they're already up and running and the mentors have come online and are working out programmes.  Those will be slightly different as I think that each mentor is going to work out a more specific programme tailored to his / her mentee, so allowing for more individuality.

But do give the challenge a go - it's worth it.  I joined last year as training was off due to weather, so I used the month to get a good base.  When I started, I was doing around 25 - 30m p/wk, when I finished, I'd managed to increase it to 45 - 50m p/wk and it showed me that I can do that mileage - my current training plan is still built around that. It changed my approach to training permanently and showed me that I'm capable of more than I'd previously assumed.

24/12/2010 at 16:12

Hiya, thanks for all the responses!

Think I will sign up for the challenge - whether or not I decide to do the full Marathon, it will encourage me in training for the half. Will look out the Marathon threads too - would love to get my first one in before I turn 22! 

My 'official' training plan starts next week, but I've already got a good bed in. Currently doing easy 4.6 mile runs at 8mins, and that's on icy and snowy road surfaces so I'm feeling confident. The artic winds we've had on the East coast for the past couple of days aren't helping though!

I'll keep everyone posted with how it's all going,

Robin

A-A
28/12/2010 at 20:32

Hey all,

Here's one more. I'm running my first marathon in 2011. Have never done a half marathon or 10km or any racing before but have been running on and off the last 4 years or so. Grand plan is to finish the marathon, that's all, no time goals. My very own training program (with the help of books and the net) started this week, only starting nice and slowly,15 miles / 25km a week increasing the mileage slowly. Hope it is enough. Do you think I'm foolish going for the full marathon without any previous racing experience?

At the moment I'm full on energy and enthusiasm and feel like I could train a lot more but I'm trying to take it easy to avoid injuries.

This is a brilliant thread! Nice to see I'm not alone, we will get there!!

Has everyone signed up for the challenge? I was thinking about it...

28/12/2010 at 20:40

hi all

i'm not a newbie, so i thought i'd wish you all luck,

not sure you'll want me on the thread

but  i do - like many others have that vital marathon expereince

28/12/2010 at 21:09
I'm doing it! Signed up for the Great Welsh Marathon on 10th April... Bring it on!!
28/12/2010 at 21:17

Good stuff, Robin I've signed up too, should be a great motivator!

micknphil - I'm sure you're more than welcome in here, after all we are all newbies at marathoning, so all encouragement, support and advice from those who have been there, done that is more than welcome!

41 to 60 of 96 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.