outdoor running

1 to 20 of 22 messages
20/05/2009 at 11:01

Hi,

I have been running on and off on a treadmill for about 6 months. Can manage about 10k on the treadmill so thought I'd be fine doing that outside...which I was not!!! I am now trying to build up my outdoor running, I am doing 2 miles eveyday which is taking me about 25 mins. Slow I know. Just wondering how you think I might build up from this? I was thinking that when I am comfortable(ish) doing that distance I will add on a mile. Does that sound about right?

Thanks

20/05/2009 at 11:08
I wouldn't suggest you run everyday, if you are aiming to get to 10km outside, I'd suggest using a 10km race training plan, that will have the required distance increases.
20/05/2009 at 12:53

Emily - I too am doing just TM workouts at the mo. Have been going for a month or so and am reasonably happy doing around 5k (albeit v.slowly).  I am building up to do an "outdoor" run one day soon, probably an early morning one.

I appreciate that when people start outside they tend to go too fast, as it is rather different than a TM, so I have planned to do just a 2m circuit around my town when I try it, to see how it goes.

Like danowat I suggest that every day is too much. At the mo I do Mon/Wed/Fri but I try to increase a little every time if I feel up to it. If I don't think I am going to make the full distance, I usually put in sections of slightly faster pace (just a couple of minutes every so often), which I think builds the legs up a bit more.

20/05/2009 at 12:58

Good lord - six miles on a dreadmill

Danowat is right - have days off.  Add a bit at a time, rather than lumping on whole miles, and slow down.  You're used to the tready, and it gives you a bit of 'help' - outside you;ll probably find that speed too fast to maintain.

Once you get used to the ups and downs, wind, other road users, kerbs, etc., of outdoor running you won't want to go back to the treadmill.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
20/05/2009 at 13:18
Wilkie - wanna know my TM record?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
20/05/2009 at 13:34

21.4 miles. 3 hours 35 minutes.

And I wasn't wearing an IPOD....

But my God, was I bored!

Emily - running outside is different, but has real benefits and is much nicer most of the time. Unless (as I've said before) you need an urgent poo......

20/05/2009 at 13:37

Holy Cow, LB!

WHY????????

KKD
20/05/2009 at 13:41

Emily and TD.  Get outside!! Enjoy the sun, wind, rain whatever, th efreshair, the scenery, the sounds around you........ Don't wait until you can do X on the treadie. You are doing far more than the majority of the population in terms of exercise!

As Wilkie said, slow down, put in walk breaks if you have to and follow a training plan.  There's some good ones on here.

Enjoy! 

KKD
LIVERBIRD    pirate
20/05/2009 at 13:44
Wilkie wrote (see)

Holy Cow, LB!

WHY????????

Do you know - I can't remember!

I've done three hours plus three times but I'd FAR rather do the long ones outside. Even rain doesn't kill me....

20/05/2009 at 13:46

KKD - You're probably right, but my motivation was not "running" itself, I just wanted to do some sort of excercise and I happen to have a v.good TM at home (with an super view over my garden down here on the South Coast !!)  - it is only now that I am starting to enjoy it a bit and can keep going for a while that I am tempted to start thinking about going "outside". I know the "purists" out there don't approve of TMs.

And Liverbird - almost a marathon a TM, are you mad ?? Blimey.

20/05/2009 at 13:52

It's not that I don't approve, TD, it's just that I find it very dull. 

The treadmill certainly has it's place, and I do use one from time to time, but the most I've ever managed on a tready is four miles, and I was very bored.

I can run for hours outside, there's always something to look at, the scenery changes, etc.  I'd rather be out in the weather than in the gym.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
20/05/2009 at 13:58

I've thought about doing a marathon on the TM....

I could raise some money for charity doing it in our gym and people could come in and stare at the mad cow in the corner plodding on and getting nowhere....

20/05/2009 at 14:06

I'm definitely coming round to that way of thinking too, Wilkie. I used to do about 20 mins max on a tready in the gym but got far too bored. Also almost fell off once trying to watch TV, so that has somewhat hampered my experience.

I ran for 5 miles outside last night for the first time (the most I have ever run!) as part of a 10k training plan, and it was great! I managed to get the whole way without stopping (except for crossing roads).

Emily - running outside is harder in my opinion, especially when it comes to pacing yourself. The tready can regulate you, but outside is so different. I find that when I start off, I am too quick (for me) and so feel like I'm really suffering too early on. My advice is that however quickly you run outside for, go slower. It may feel like you're practically walking, but chances are you are running faster than you think. If later on you feel good and like you can go faster, do so but I recommend that you try and go further in your runs, at a much slower pace.

That's my plan, anyway! Hope it helps.

20/05/2009 at 14:12

Liverbird - for some reason in my head I have linked this thread with the thread about running with dogs ... so I now have an image of you running a marathon on a TM with a dog - now that is something I would pay to see !!!

20/05/2009 at 14:14

Hi,

thanks for all of your advice! I will definately try all of that and I agree that I am probably going faster outside...i ran very slow on the treadmill! I will hunt out some training plans...

Thanks alot

20/05/2009 at 14:16

If you go to the training tab on this site and do the personalised training bit, it can give you a plan tailored to your own current ability.

It's the one I'm following at the moment, albeit only starting this week!

KKD
20/05/2009 at 15:18

I'm by no way a 'purist' TD.  I used a treadie for a little while when recovering from a knee injury and for trying out different orthotics I just find outside r*nning a more enjoyable experience.

I wasn't being scathing of treadies would just hate to think that people are missing out on a fab experience because they think they have to be 'good enough' for others to see them r*nning first.

KKD
LIVERBIRD    pirate
20/05/2009 at 15:42
Tricky Dicky 465 wrote (see)

Liverbird - for some reason in my head I have linked this thread with the thread about running with dogs ... so I now have an image of you running a marathon on a TM with a dog - now that is something I would pay to see !!!

I'll give most things a go once!
20/05/2009 at 17:24

First things first...please be gentle with me, my first post....

Re. TM v Outside...

I found the TM to be really difficult, mind you I am overweight and new to the whole exercise thing, never mind the running thing.( Never even run for a bus before!)

Peple were telling me how different it was running outside compared to the TM, and I must say that although I am following a R/W programme I am loving the outside stuff, I even ran in the rain for cripe sake - and trust me thats a first - I dont normally do anything in the rain!!

Still struggling with the eating / not eating / drinking / toilets / sunshine / rain kinda thing, but loving it.

Heres to the half Marathon in October!!

LIVERBIRD    pirate
20/05/2009 at 17:57

*massages Freaks shoulders*

Is that gentle enough?

I find the sun considerably more of a pain in the arse than the rain. I can stick my tongue out and get a drink if it's raining!

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.