Outdoor running

16 messages
25/05/2011 at 08:38
Hello,

I've always enjoyed running and run reg. at the gym doing 9-10K in about an hour.

I want to have a go of running outdoors, as never done it. Not keen on running on my own outdoors, at least to start with.

Unfortunately no one I know at present would run outdoors with me for the company!

Anyways, just would like some general advice on how to make the transition from treadmill to outdoors.
25/05/2011 at 09:38
Put your running gear on, pick up your keys, and go. That's it.

Things to remember are to start of slower then build up pace once you're warmed up. Don't forget to look both ways when you cross roads!
25/05/2011 at 10:27

Stand outside front door. Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat. Do this fast enough and you'll be running!

But seriously - take your pace really slow to start with. It's hard to judge pace to start with and you're likely to start off way too quickly.

25/05/2011 at 11:03

No magic tips, I'm afraid - just take the plunge and you'll probably never bother with a treadmill again. You're in a better position than many, because your treadmill running gives you confidence that you can keep going for a reasonable length of time. I had to work on 'treadmill endurance' first because I was frightened I'd only make it as far as the end of the street! Don't expect to run 10K in an hour outdoors just yet - it's a bit harder for real (but only a bit).

Running on your own outdoors is not a big deal really. You're obviously reasonably fit, so if you go somewhere where other people run, like a park, you'll probably get a confidence boost by overtaking some. Look into running clubs, too - they're usually very friendly and have different groups to accommodate different speeds.

25/05/2011 at 12:08
Thanks! I love the responses made me laugh! I knew I'd get the obvious just go for it so making it look so simple shows how I'm making over complicated. I think it's coz I'm so used to the treadmill and monitoring heart rate, distance, calories etc to too much precision. So what about heart rate and distance monitors? Do any if u use them? Any good?
25/05/2011 at 12:37
I, like you, built up on the treadmill to 10K before I decided that the best part of an hour on a treadmill is very dull. As your distance increases that becomes even more of an issue.

At least outside the scenery changes :-]

I have a Garmin GPS watch (although I didn't get that immediately) that helps with pacing and provides all the data a "numbers junkie" could ever want. I love it and would recommend it (although they are a bit costly depending on the model)

The only other thing I would mention is look out for a local Park run ( http://www.parkrun.com/home ) Only 5k but outside, with other runners and a weekly event so a brilliant way to start the transition if there is one nearby.

It's a nice time of year to be running outside - have fun :-]

25/05/2011 at 12:48
Thanks weevil, will look into that a few have recommended garmin so I'll see. I would have liked to have a running buddy to do this with but I guess if I look out for these group park runs could be a good way of finding one! Just helps with motivation when you have lazy days but with a friend you can motivate eachother.

Advice appreciated
25/05/2011 at 13:11
Source your local running club and head down I took the plunge last week and have been out with the group twice now feeling like ive got a bit of a commitment to get me off the sofa and each run ive gone further than i would have done also the canal path and cross field routes are not really areas I would have gone on my own

Im still really quite slow but people have been really nice dropping back to chat as we go round
27/05/2011 at 11:01

Another option would be for you to find your local Sweatshop (if you have one). They have a running community where they go out running every Tuesday. They do no more than 5k and it is aimed at beginners.

They also have a great 'loyalty' scheme. 5 runs bags you a free Tech Shirt up to 50 runs gettng you a pair of Running Shoes (all must be done in a 12 month period starting from your first run). There are no fees so it is really a great idea - I've been twice myself and am looking forward to the next run.

There are also Monday runs which I believe are more advanced and probably a further distance. I couldn't be sure if every store has these sessions though.

Both of these runs are in the evening 18:30 so ideal for after work.

27/05/2011 at 11:09
You may find it useful to decide on a particular route. There are some sites where you can map and also to log it. I think that running outside is more satisfying than on a treadmill, but it may take a little time to get used to it.
27/05/2011 at 11:27
Yeah that's what I think too, plus I walk a lot so would feel strange at first going at a faster pace. Planning the route seems a good idea I'll look into that thanks for the tip. It's been so rainy in Altrincham lately that I've not given it a go yet but I'll plan my route until weather improves.
27/05/2011 at 16:51

Nadya, if you are used to walking alone then running alone shouldn't really be any different.  Obviously be aware of whats around you and I would suggest NOT using an ipod etc, you really want to be able to hear people and traffic around you.  Remember that the ground/terrain is unlikely to be nice and smooth, on the road there'll be uneven pavements, potholes and litter whilst off road it'll be tree roots, ruts, rabbit holes etc.

Wherever you go don't forget to tell someone and leave your planned route with them, and also have some means of identification on you.  Nothing has ever happened to me in over 20 yrs running outside but it's best to be prepared!  Take your mobile and a £1 coin for a phone box incase you get stuck somewhere, if you're a few miles away from home and you twist your ankle or fall etc you don't want to have to walk back!

Above all, just enjoy it

27/05/2011 at 16:53
ps, lots of online route planners, I like www.mapometer.com it's so easy even I can use it!
27/05/2011 at 17:26
Brilliant that's for that!
27/05/2011 at 21:37
Honestly, once you start running outside you realize what you're missing. I run on both treadmill and outside but much prefer outside. Distance and time fly by much quicker.
One of the best parts is that you can set yourself targets, like sprinting really fast to the next lamppost as fast as you can. You lose the monotony of the treadmill as there's so much more going on.

Just give a go; find a comfortable pace and just hit the road. You'll love it!
27/05/2011 at 22:31
+ one to what Anna says above. I spent a few years running on a treadmill, and still do but running outside is so much better. I wish i'd tried it earlier, you can run much further without getting bored and it's so easy, you just need your trainers and you're off.

I started the first few times running round a small park near my house until I felt more confident. I do run with music as it's part of the pleasure for me, but I live in London and where I run is usually pretty busy.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.