Overweight beginner - Marathon Madness

21 to 32 of 32 messages
30/06/2012 at 13:00
gemgemx: I'm doing Brighton too next year and really looking forward to it. Looks and sounds like a great race. Heard that the atmosphere is really good too.
30/06/2012 at 20:39

Rest day today which seems a bit like cheating. I always thought that progress meant doing something everyday but everything I have read says stick to running four times a week so that is what I shall do....

I did go on a pretty fast hack this morning so the heart rate was up for at least 40 mins of our 1.5 hour ride so that's something. The rest of the day was spent decorating so a few more calories burnt there I think.

Some slight shin niggles today and a faint and distant pain in my knee but I knew that would appear again. I am hoping that the slow and steady approach will keep anything serious at bay. I have physio for my back Monday so may mention my knee, although I think it is connected as I have deep tissue damage in my lumbar that side and so it pulls my hip flexors and knocks my SI joint out. Hopefully the physio, yoga, stretching and running should allow strength development.

So - no running today although I did sit admiring my lovely purple Asics for a while. Very Sad.

Will see how session 2 goes tomorrow

30/06/2012 at 20:56
Rest days are very important - it's during the rest days that your body repairs itself after the previous day's exercise. Non-load bearing cross training is a good idea - most people tend to do swimming or cycling, but riding sounds like an excellent idea too. I'm guessing it would be good for core stability too?

Enjoy the rest days - you'll be looking forward to them soon!
01/07/2012 at 10:25

Yes RR the riding is fantastic core work, I am going to start riding Bareback to help even further although my first go the other day made me very aware of how much i rely on my saddle for some support!

More shin pain as my foot strikes today which is making me wary about my run/walk today. I should just press on or perhaps have a two day break? The plan does allow this but in my head I was going to do run/off/run/off/run/off/off/run. This can change though.....

Advice anyone?

Edited: 01/07/2012 at 10:25
01/07/2012 at 10:48

If your shin is hurting, I'd listen to it and not run.  Just go for a brisk walk instead or a bike ride or swim.  And when you run, try to do it on grass if possible, just till your body starts adjusting to these new demands.

I also do a stretch where I place my heel on a step and point my toes down towards the ground.

Oh, and well done.  Six months ago I started out just running 1 minute and walking for 2; weight wasn't my problem, but many years of chain smoking and abusing alcohol was.

Now, on my weekend long runs I'm comfortably getting into the double figures for mileage and yesterday I ran a ten mile race up, off road, muddy, slippy and some ruddy great hills.

Anyway, well done, these posts really inspire me.  I'm an avid follower of Boottrunks; take a look at hers if you need some inspiration at some stage.

01/07/2012 at 11:15

BillieB,it might just be a niggle, or it might be something to watch.Your biggest risk at this stage is injury due to your sudden change in activity. Some traiing books would suggest a walking plan for a few weeks before doing ANY running, as it takes some time to buils up the mechanical strength in the legs.

"Noakes"- which is a massive tome about running, contains at least one plan for beginners where they have just walking for the first 3 weeks- 3-4 days per week, 20 mins per time, THEN go on to run/walk. If your shin hurts, perhaps spend a week or 2 just walking before runnig again. It feels frustrating, but it may save you grief in the long run. Of course, if you already walk a fair bit in your day- to - day life, it may not be necessary.

Take it slow.

01/07/2012 at 17:10

Everyone is doing really well, its very inspiring to read.

I too find the rest days difficult, mainly because I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and I miss it on my days off, but I know that if I push myself too hard I will end up injured, disheartened, burnt out and fed up. I try to find other ways to feel I am still being productive, such as sorting out the menu for the week. I also like to spend a bit of time gently stretching out my muscles, which helps alert me to any little aches and pains that might be developing.

I think if we can strike the right balance between running and resting we are more likely to stick with this and keep enjoying it - it shouldn't become a chore.

Today was a day off for me so I am already looking forward to tomorrow mornings run - rain or shine! (but probably rain!)

01/07/2012 at 22:50

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the advice - today has been a naff day. The first glow of my Marathon plan has worn off and I am feeling a bit beat already.

The knee pain has been with me all day - I can feel it throbbing as I type. I have been trying to persuade myself that it isnt really there but it is. You know that feeling you get in your legs when alcohol hits you all of a sudden? Well that is what my right knee feels like, a bit hot, a bit fuzzy/numb and a bit throbby. I ran for 8 minutes. 8 minutes! Grrrrrrr. Didn't do my walk/run today, thought I would give it as long as I could before heading out again so I will try in the morning. If I still feel my knee throbbing I am going to try a 40 minute walk and aim to cover at least the same distance overall. I reckon I can do that.

The shin pain is still there. Bloomin' annoyed.

I have physio on my back tomorrow and I just know my knee is connected. Damn the horse that threw me 6 years ago, If only I had trusted my instincts.

Onwards and upwards. I must sleep - I have a 5.30am alarm call for Marathon training

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

Easy.Does.It - very inspiring to hear about your double digits. I will feel llike I have conquered the world when I get to that stage. Amazing!

Edited: 01/07/2012 at 22:52
02/07/2012 at 16:02

Hang in there, sounds like you have had a very discouraging day.

If this was easy everyone would be doing it - but they aren't, because it isn't. If you can get through the tough days and stay motivated you will be one of lifes winners - something to focus on to get you through.

You can do this!

04/07/2012 at 21:03

Ok, well I'm back with my tail between my legs. Seems like I failed before I had even started and my physio told me to rest and to Re-start tomorrow. He wants me to do at least three weeks of walking four times a week before I run again and is certain that will remove the pain that I experienced from the first time round. He has also sent me to the Osteo as he wants me prodded before he continues my muscle work.

So, I feel a bit like a fraud with my online diary being on 'Runners' world. Will you still have me for the next three weeks? Great thing is that in 3 weeks I head off to Spain to a lovely villa in the mountains, it will be perfect for a two week gentle bootcamp (if there is such a thing) as my husband will still train out there everyday. I can swim, bike and gently introduce the running all in a beautiful environment.

So - it seems I am down but not out.

Take care of yourselves (and your muscles) - I have decided that this will be my cheesy Jerry Springer style sign off from now on..... apologies.

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 21:04
04/07/2012 at 22:28
...the good thing is that April 2013 is still.a fair way off and you have the time to rest and learn how your body reacts and know when to ease up..when to push
things.
Don't feel a fraud..the resting and walking is all part of the journey
04/07/2012 at 22:54

Make a date to restart when you get back from your holiday! Write it on a calendar, or find a buddy who will run with you. Restarting is never easy but once you get going, just follow the plan (these guys know what they are talking about when they write these plans) and you will get there in the end.

And maybe try and find a club that will take you sooner - I get a lot of support from my running buddies, even though I have to travel a way to meet up!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.