Overweight beginner

1 to 20 of 76 messages
28/04/2003 at 21:24
Hi - I'm Sally and I have just joined RW. I am a total beginner and did my first run today - 2 mins running, 2 mins walking but I only managed this twice! I am overweight but dieting and I cycle to work every day which takes me a hour in total.
Any advice would be most appreciated as I have said I will run the 5K in July for my local slimming club (if I'm still alive!) Thanks
28/04/2003 at 21:29
Hi Sally, welcome to the rather addictive world of the RW forum!

Just take it nice and steady, that's what my advice would be (for what its worth). Why don't you check out some of the training schedules on the site? Also the penguin's site (I think its www.waddleon.com???) is good as is the Plodders thread on beginners. Very encouraging.

Good luck with the training & weight loss, and keep us posted with your news
28/04/2003 at 21:31
hiya sally! well done on your first run. I didn't even manage to run at all the first time I went out (about a year ago). I was entering Race 4 life, with a friend. We just went really slowly, walking where we had to, two or three times a week. Enjoy it, don't punish yourself! there are loads of us out there ( i could do with getting rid of a stone) who all think we should run faster or longer or something. if you keep going, you WILL get there!
28/04/2003 at 21:33
Hi Sally,

I too have just joined RW and am an almost total beginner. My first run, 8 weeks ago, was 20 minutes of run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute, which felt pretty tough. But I've gradually built up what I do, running 3 or 4 times a week and now I can run comfortably at a reasonable pace for 40+ minutes, and I've started doing some interval and hill training. I'm doing a 5K at the end of June. Advice - keep it up, stick to a schedule and don't try to progress too fast, wear decent shoes, get a running partner if you can cos it is a great motivator. You'll do the 5K no problem!
28/04/2003 at 22:12
Sally keep up the good work. It is good that you have a goal to work towards as it will keep you motivated and determined to keep on going.

Remember that everyone started from scratch and with practice you will be running non stop for ages. Just take it easy and enjoy every moment of this new adventure.

Flipper    pirate
28/04/2003 at 22:34
Hi Sally!

Welcome to the forums! Well done on entering your 5KM it will give you something to look forward to!

Good Luck and don't forget to keep posting and talking about your progress, whether it's good or bad as we've all been there!
28/04/2003 at 22:49
Im 3 stone overweight
and ive done 2 marathons
ignore your weight, and concentate on enjoying getting fitter
Keep posting on here, through the good times and th bad
lots of support here
28/04/2003 at 23:14
Hi Sally - just take it steady, have a look at some starter schedules & do what you find easiest, taking it really slowly & you will be amazed how quick you improve, as Hippo says, there is plenty of support here, and ignore the weight. I'm....stone overweight!

29/04/2003 at 07:41
Benz, you sure about 'Keep posting on here, through the good times and th bad'? (wink...)
29/04/2003 at 08:43
Hi Sally
Well done on making a commitment to run the 5k's. I'm also overweight and have been running for about 5 weeks now... the first few weeks were quite tough but I perservered and now I really look forward to getting outside and having 'my plod around the block'.
Don't beat yourself up if you find some days harder than others - you'll really surprise yourself how quickly you start feeling fitter, and how quickly your stamina improves.

Good luck - keep us posted!!
29/04/2003 at 09:09
Wot, nicky?
Wot?????????????
29/04/2003 at 09:21
Well done Sally, you've made a great start! I've been plodding for three weeks now in preparation for the Hyde Park 10k on May 18th and having a goal to work towards is definitely the key for me. My first week of training was run 1 min/walk 1 for 10 minutes and I really struggled. I'm certainly not a runner now, but I've managed to get up to running 10 minutes/ walk 2 for 40 minutes and I can tell you, every time you can do just one more minute, it really makes you feel terrific! Look forward to seeing your progress here :-)
29/04/2003 at 09:52
Hi Sally and welcome to RW.I'm a beginner too but am amazed at how quickly stamina builds up. Like everyone else says take your time and celebrate the little successes like the first time you run for 3 minutes. Buy yourself some really nice bubble bath so you can have a lovely luxurious soak after a good training session and enjoy the fact that you are out there taking control and making an effort. You'll find these forums really encouraging so keep us posted.
29/04/2003 at 09:55
Well done. That is a great start. I could hardly manage 60 seconds on my first run. And I was so embarassed that I went bright red on the treadmill.

I can't say that I am finding it easy, but then it wouldn't be a challenge and wouldn't be any fun.

As for being overweight - just think, you have to work twice as hard as beanpole people. Thats what I tell myself anyway!

Keep going :-)
29/04/2003 at 13:59
Hello, Sally. I was nearly 3st overweight (and diabetic to boot) when I began running. Am now just 10lb off my target and have the diabetes well under control. I began with the same sort of walk/jog schedule and it works. I'll never be a fast runner but I can now run several miles at 11-min miles quite comfortably and, most importantly, I really enjoy it.

Good luck for July.
30/04/2003 at 08:14
Thanks for all the messages and encouragement. I must admit that I am enjoying myself more that I thought and I am not finding it too hard which is probably down to the cycling. I went out again yesterday and managed another set of 2 mins and I hope by next week I can increase that to 4 sets. I will keep you all posted with my progress.
Thanks again - it is really great to have so much help and support.
Sally
31/03/2004 at 20:43
Where do overweight ladies find the kit to run in? Being big and tall makes finding kit doubly difficult. I can hide in winter under jacket and tracksters, but what to wear when the sun shines? I want kit that fits, but ladies sizes just don't do it - too short and too small. Anyone else have this problem?

31/03/2004 at 20:53
wonder what happend to all the others on this thread
cathy
i buy mens t shirts
short legs mean im ok with large ladies leggings
31/03/2004 at 21:03
Thanks for the reply. Problem with men's t-shirts for me is that that they don't hang too well at the front. But at least they are long enough to cover the back adequately! Would just love to see ladies sizes in ranges that are a bit more realistic.
31/03/2004 at 21:04
i agree totally
there was once a link on gear
1 to 20 of 76 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.