People keep telling me to give up!!!

Should I shouldn't I?

21 to 40 of 45 messages
03/02/2013 at 22:49
I say give up. If you can only be bothered to get up to 2 miles in 3 months what will make you put in any more effort over the next 3.
Why did you bother entering the race in the first place?
As David says above you have taken a place away from someone else who would actually put the blood sweat and tears into training to the required level. Places in London are very hard to come by so I can see why it will get many people annoyed.
Anyone can run a marathon but you need to put the hard work in.
03/02/2013 at 23:20

Jo - You only have to manage each mile in just under 19 minutes to beat the cut off and get your medal. Eight and a bit hours on you feet for a life time of glory is well worth it.

Go for it! 

03/02/2013 at 23:50
Only just started posting on here, but as far as I can work out from reading around, Jo Hauge 2 (if I've got that right) is a fake account set up by David Falconer 3 for entertainment.

Or have I overstepped....?
03/02/2013 at 23:50
Sorry, Haigh
03/02/2013 at 23:59
Okay, overstepped.
04/02/2013 at 00:12
Ah, fair point!

I, on the other hand, have an inability to take myself - or anyone else - very seriously. Which of-course falls down with all you serious runners (compared to my pathetic attempts!).
04/02/2013 at 06:52

Marathon virgin then. You won't be if you take this one on. After eight and a half hours you'll be well and truly f...  !

Rafiki    pirate
04/02/2013 at 08:26
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

. Unfortunately thats once less place for someone else to run the VLM. Charming.

The OP was running for Scope, who, according to their website, still have charity places available David - so maybe you could take up the challenge rather than crticise others who at least attempt it??

XX1
04/02/2013 at 09:46
David -- Even if you don't work in an office, as many people don't, you can create a Just Giving page and post the link on your various social networking sites. I'm sure the money would come rolling in quicker than you think. Surely it would be better to at least give it ago rather than make excuses for not trying.
XX1
cougie    pirate
04/02/2013 at 09:56
Don't take up the commitment if you're not up to it. But the charity can't hold you liable for the difference.
04/02/2013 at 10:03

@cougie - yes, they can.  Part of taking on a charity place could be the contractual obligation to meet their minimum funding requirement.

cougie    pirate
04/02/2013 at 10:05
No they can't.
That would be selling the place for a guaranteed amount. And that would incur tax as its not a donation.
04/02/2013 at 10:26

Tell you what, DF3, I'll donate a fiver if you do it. That nice man who was only asking for £700 might still be looking for runners.

XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:27
David -- Do you have a mobile phone and/or email? You could text and/or email out a Just Giving link. Given a couple of months I really can't believe that it would be too difficult to raise two grand... Having said that I've never done it (no interest in charity events) and each to his own
XX1
XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:29
DF3 -- If you do it I'll also donate a fiver.
XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:42

Taxi Driver - as you've never tried to raise £2,000, you have no can make no valid argument for how easy or difficult it could be.  However, here's a clue: it's difficult.  To raise that sort of money you need good corporate backing.

@cougie - so you're saying they can, then.

XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:47
Intermanaut -- For sure there's no substitute for experience, however, I know several people, none of whom work in an office, that have done it. Anyway, David's raised a tenner already and he hasn't even signed up yet
XX1
XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:49
David -- What's the betting that next year you get in via the ballot?
XX1
04/02/2013 at 11:22
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)

You won't be if you take this one on. After eight and a half hours you'll be well and truly f...  !

Funnily enough RicF said the same thing to his wife last night!

Indeed, after eight and a half hours of eating (slow runners in the VLM need to keep up the calories) you'll be well and truly fed!

XX1
04/02/2013 at 11:27
If I was only ever going to run one marathon I think it would be the Neolithic Marathon as I think I'd really enjoy running between Avebury and Stonehenge... Those big charidee events have never appealed to me but it's each to his own I guess.
XX1
21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.