People keep telling me to give up!!!

Should I shouldn't I?

21 to 40 of 65 messages
XX1
03/02/2013 at 19:59
Screamapillar -- There aren't any Guardian journalists on this thread
XX1
03/02/2013 at 20:06

Jo - i'm not saying , do or dont - but i think you should consider ( most of whats written above ) the runners are the only people who can advise  you - Firstly - those who have completed marathons, and then - those who have not - to a degree - , but have tried say 20 miles and found its not for them - will be able to tell you how they feel or felt on thier way to the distance - for 2013 - there's 11 weeks to go -  there's massive obstacles in your way - Marathons for a start are all on the day - even the worlds best or highly expereinced runners can come apart - it then takes decisions on route as to what do i do ?? - some of those decisions we get wrong and can be heart breaking even for us

ok, your only out to finish, your on two miles ?? - you wont even know at that distance if you have the correct footwear for example, or if your going to blister badly or anything - chaffing - 

your body will need to adjust, you may find pain in training on route, your body will need rest and re fuelling 

you'll be on your feet all day, i'm not talking walking around the office all day- i 'm talking walking, running, streching out going into virtual no mans land - you wont even have the physcological strategy or mental stamina to use - as there's been no time to develop it

consider - if you leave it for this time as said, you'll get over it, - if you get into the race on the day, and have to stop becuase of what ever, ( pain - like uve never imagined) you'll have a broken heart as many do

as usual ther entries for London have gone in, by many with little or no idea what their letting themselves in for - some will never run again - some will but never marathon distance

my advice to you is to train when ever you can until end March - then see where you are in every aspect - but its not just about physical miles -

seriously, take care in life & good luck

Mick 

seren nos    pirate
03/02/2013 at 20:22

so why is everyone answering so nicely when this has to be  a windup.........

so Jo does power walking.and favourite races are 5k, 10k and then marathon.......

if she/he can't go further than 2 miles then how on earth would you have your favourite race as a 5k.........

also a power walker  would be able to combine running with walking to travel more than 2 miles.........

yes someone can train for a marathon in a few months to be able to walk it,......but then they could probably go out and run a 10k just from natural fitness.....

someone who after 3 months still can't run or run/walk more than 2 miles it going to suffer big time as tgheir natural fitness must be very basic

03/02/2013 at 21:24

I personally would defer if that is an option via the charity - I would also ditch the personal trainer because to get up to 2 miles in 3 months is just not good enough -

03/02/2013 at 22:10
Err why only 2 miles in 3 months? Only you can answer that sensibly, and if you are willing to put the work in and accept you aren't going to run it but walk it with bursts of running...

You are allowed longer than most other marathons!! But frankly why 2m in 3 months if it means so much?
03/02/2013 at 22:20

I wonder if Jo Haigh will reply. I suspect not.

03/02/2013 at 22:20
Guess so, hadn't realised this was their first post. Oh well!
Edited: 03/02/2013 at 22:22
03/02/2013 at 22:24

I would have more respect for her if she did reply ....... If she said 'You know what ........ I was too lazy ..... I did sit there with my mars bar, look out the window and think 'It looks like it might rain between now and when I reach the gym, I might not bother.' ......... and then said 'Right, Im going to put in 5 days a week of solid work to try and put this right .......... then I would be willing to cut her some slack.

But I suspect, a bit of hard work, combined with a bit of criticism will be the end of it. Unfortunately thats once less place for someone else to run the VLM. Charming.

03/02/2013 at 22:49
I say give up. If you can only be bothered to get up to 2 miles in 3 months what will make you put in any more effort over the next 3.
Why did you bother entering the race in the first place?
As David says above you have taken a place away from someone else who would actually put the blood sweat and tears into training to the required level. Places in London are very hard to come by so I can see why it will get many people annoyed.
Anyone can run a marathon but you need to put the hard work in.
03/02/2013 at 23:20

Jo - You only have to manage each mile in just under 19 minutes to beat the cut off and get your medal. Eight and a bit hours on you feet for a life time of glory is well worth it.

Go for it! 

03/02/2013 at 23:45

a lifetime of glory lol

03/02/2013 at 23:50
Only just started posting on here, but as far as I can work out from reading around, Jo Hauge 2 (if I've got that right) is a fake account set up by David Falconer 3 for entertainment.

Or have I overstepped....?
03/02/2013 at 23:50
Sorry, Haigh
03/02/2013 at 23:57

how did you come to that conclusion? talk me thru it.

03/02/2013 at 23:59
Okay, overstepped.
04/02/2013 at 00:06

lol you are wrong. i dont resort to setting up fake accounts. i am clever and witty enough to do it all under my account.

04/02/2013 at 00:12
Ah, fair point!

I, on the other hand, have an inability to take myself - or anyone else - very seriously. Which of-course falls down with all you serious runners (compared to my pathetic attempts!).
kittenkat    pirate
04/02/2013 at 06:23
mArshallini wrote (see)

Jo - You only have to manage each mile in just under 19 minutes to beat the cut off and get your medal. Eight and a bit hours on you feet for a life time of glory is well worth it.

Go for it! 

I wouldn't call completing a marathon 'a life time of glory'.

04/02/2013 at 06:52

Marathon virgin then. You won't be if you take this one on. After eight and a half hours you'll be well and truly f...  !

Rafiki    pirate
04/02/2013 at 08:26
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

. Unfortunately thats once less place for someone else to run the VLM. Charming.

The OP was running for Scope, who, according to their website, still have charity places available David - so maybe you could take up the challenge rather than crticise others who at least attempt it??

21 to 40 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.