People keep telling me to give up!!!

Should I shouldn't I?

41 to 60 of 65 messages
04/02/2013 at 09:11
RicF wrote (see)

You won't be if you take this one on. After eight and a half hours you'll be well and truly f...  !

Funnily enough RicF said the same thing to his wife last night!

04/02/2013 at 09:19
Rafiki wrote (see)
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

. Unfortunately thats once less place for someone else to run the VLM. Charming.

The OP was running for Scope, who, according to their website, still have charity places available David - so maybe you could take up the challenge rather than crticise others who at least attempt it??

LOL ........ but the fact of the matter is that not all of us work in a an office with hundreds of people that allow us to get the begging bowl out. Think about it, if you have say 10 close friends, they may donate an average of a tenner each. So there is £100 raised. Then you can ask family. You might scrape a couple of hundred there, so theres £300 ........ with most charities asking for a minimum of £1000 or more, that still leaves you with £700 to find. And I dont really want that hanging over my head.

XX1
04/02/2013 at 09:46
David -- Even if you don't work in an office, as many people don't, you can create a Just Giving page and post the link on your various social networking sites. I'm sure the money would come rolling in quicker than you think. Surely it would be better to at least give it ago rather than make excuses for not trying.
XX1
04/02/2013 at 09:51
Taxi Driver wrote (see)
David -- Even if you don't work in an office, as many people don't, you can create a Just Giving page and post the link on your various social networking sites. I'm sure the money would come rolling in quicker than you think. Surely it would be better to at least give it ago rather than make excuses for not trying.

I don't believe in the social networking malarky (even though my job involves creating said social networking pages for corporations). Actually its probably because of that I dont believe in social networks.

The problem is, what if you try and you dont get there? You are still liable for the difference. Its not like they say 'Well Id like you to raise a grand, but see how you go' .... then I only manage to raise £300 and they will go 'Oh ok then, no worries.'

I could do without the hassle factor of a huge number that I HAVE to get to, all so the charity can p.ss it up the wall with their admin fees and hiring chief executives on £200k a year.

cougie    pirate
04/02/2013 at 09:56
Don't take up the commitment if you're not up to it. But the charity can't hold you liable for the difference.
04/02/2013 at 10:03

@cougie - yes, they can.  Part of taking on a charity place could be the contractual obligation to meet their minimum funding requirement.

cougie    pirate
04/02/2013 at 10:05
No they can't.
That would be selling the place for a guaranteed amount. And that would incur tax as its not a donation.
04/02/2013 at 10:23
cougie wrote (see)
No they can't.
That would be selling the place for a guaranteed amount. And that would incur tax as its not a donation.

Notice they never tell you that in the literature ........ the implied threat of legal action works in their favour I guess.

Edited: 04/02/2013 at 10:25
04/02/2013 at 10:26

Anyway back to the original topic, notice the OP never came back, nor thanked us for our contributions ...... why do people go to the effort of registering, then making one post, then not even replying ........ God she really is lazy isn't she?

04/02/2013 at 10:26

Tell you what, DF3, I'll donate a fiver if you do it. That nice man who was only asking for £700 might still be looking for runners.

XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:27
David -- Do you have a mobile phone and/or email? You could text and/or email out a Just Giving link. Given a couple of months I really can't believe that it would be too difficult to raise two grand... Having said that I've never done it (no interest in charity events) and each to his own
XX1
XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:29
DF3 -- If you do it I'll also donate a fiver.
XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:42

Taxi Driver - as you've never tried to raise £2,000, you have no can make no valid argument for how easy or difficult it could be.  However, here's a clue: it's difficult.  To raise that sort of money you need good corporate backing.

@cougie - so you're saying they can, then.

04/02/2013 at 10:45

Ha, well the problem is Ive now entered a marathon only a couple of weeks after the VLM ... the 'sarsen trail & neolithic marathon 2013' (try saying that 3 times fast, I even had to google the name to remind me as its such a mouthful).

Basically its a marathon through the Wiltshire countryside finishing at Stonehenge. Tougher than the VLM but at least you get to see some nice countryside rather than try and make your way past some fool dressed up as the Blackpool Tower.

So this years VLM is out for me now anyway.

Maybe next year

XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:47
Intermanaut -- For sure there's no substitute for experience, however, I know several people, none of whom work in an office, that have done it. Anyway, David's raised a tenner already and he hasn't even signed up yet
XX1
XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:49
David -- What's the betting that next year you get in via the ballot?
XX1
04/02/2013 at 10:54
Taxi Driver wrote (see)
David -- What's the betting that next year you get in via the ballot?

Considering some people have had 7 cracks at it and never got in, im not hopeful.

In all honesty its more the principle of the London marathon that Im against (in terms of the whole obsession with extracting as much money out of people as possible and the 'fair weather' runners it attracts) ........ like for instance, the marathon Im doing in May is much more interesting to me, even though it will be a lot harder because of the hills.

04/02/2013 at 11:22
RicF wrote (see)

You won't be if you take this one on. After eight and a half hours you'll be well and truly f...  !

Indeed, after eight and a half hours of eating (slow runners in the VLM need to keep up the calories) you'll be well and truly fed!

04/02/2013 at 11:26
RicF wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)

Indeed, after eight and a half hours of eating (slow runners in the VLM need to keep up the calories) you'll be well and truly fed!

Boom boom! Yep thats what I meant too 

XX1
04/02/2013 at 11:27
If I was only ever going to run one marathon I think it would be the Neolithic Marathon as I think I'd really enjoy running between Avebury and Stonehenge... Those big charidee events have never appealed to me but it's each to his own I guess.
XX1
41 to 60 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.