petrified

first 10k

21 to 29 of 29 messages
05/06/2011 at 19:13

Congratulations on your first 10k! and well done on your time, hopefully your satisfied with it?

So, your saying you've "had enougth for a week!", does that mean your going to go back for more next year?

06/06/2011 at 10:35

Richard

I was so chuffed that I got round the course, 1.50 was probably more realistic having not done the course and yes I will be back next year and probably a little bit quicker, I'm now going to do a structured 10k programme.  Getting fit  in the gym  to lose weight and jogging/walking/crawling10k round the fields with dog is nothing like what I experienced yesterday, But I really enjoyed the scenery and the people could  not have been more supportive.  I do ache a lot today and the blisters are giving a bit of grief  on the outside but inside i am really chuffed I gave it a go.  And it is a blessing I found this sight for additional support

Twinke

06/06/2011 at 12:47

Well done Twinkle - first one out of the way ! That sounds like a tough course for a first race as well, so that makes it an even better achievement in my eyes. I am not a fan of hills, and tend to go for flatter races where possible.

You now have a benchmark time - book a 10k on a flatter route for a couple of months time and I guarantee that you will see a much improved time, better than your training run with the dog. You have done the hardest part, getting out there and taking on a demanding course. Well done !

06/06/2011 at 14:32
Congratulations, Twinkle. It sounds like you showed true grit and determination. What you've done is a massive achievement that will hopefully stay with you for a long time.

If you want to progress to a faster time, you've now got a benchmark to go by and you can plug that in to a RW smart coach training programme to give you suitable paces to run by.

Stick with it and you'll gradually feel stronger and fitter on your runs and will gain confidence. Also, if you keep entering races like a parkrun 5k once every month or so, you'll get a good gauge of your progress! They're fun and every week.

Well done again, an inspiration to us all!

06/06/2011 at 19:39
Fantastic Twinkle! Well done. All the best for the next one!
07/06/2011 at 18:07

Hi Runners World

The results from the race have been published and I had a really good surprise I thought i'd finished in about 1.50 but my new official pb is 1.43.41.   I have been well and truly bitten by the running bug and  part of the 10k programme recommends Pilates so I am off to my first class tonight which should help with my aching body.

once again thank you to everybody who has taken the time to post to me my heartfelt thanks  to all of you

Twinkle

09/06/2011 at 00:02

Twinkle, well done and thanks for giving me just what I need!!!

First time on this site and only been running a couple of months. Threw caution to the wind the other week and registered for my first 10k, on account of the fact that I am 40 this year and have also just stopped a 20 year smoking habit.

I've been suffering from a sudden panic about being last, being laughed at, or worst of all not finishing / even starting!! You have spurred me on a bit now - and I've got a while to train, the "big day" is not til October...fingers crossed - gulp!

09/06/2011 at 18:14

Oddmile

Good luck with your training I'm now following a 10k running programme its the one thats on the home page on this web site but I saw it in the magazine.  I've managed to lose the weight and walk/jog the 10k, but I haven't maged to quick the smoking.  How did you manage it (Hope this is not off topic)  was it really really hard.  If you are able to conquer giving up smoking then you will finish the 10k if thats your goal.  The support I  have received from RW members and the people at the race has been brilliant.  Perhaps whichever running club is putting on the event might have a sweeper upper (club runner who makes sure nobody gets left behind I put it in brackets as it was a new expression I learnt on Sunday and didn't know what it meant when he said it) if like me you are really slow.  I got some really good tips from this runner and was really grateful for his company and encouragement.

There are so many knowledgeable people on here that will answer any worries you have.  To be perfectly honest if I hadn't of posted or got replies from other people I would have probably gibbed out.  Thank goodness for this forum, 

Good luck to you

Twinkle

09/06/2011 at 22:37

Twinkle,

Niquitin "Minis" were (are!) my key to success with stopping smoking - I tried patches before (gave me a rash), tried chewing gum (made my mouth itch)... The mint flavoured minis are great because they are only the size of a Smint and as they dissolve on your tongue (over about 10 mins) you can inhale deeply and get a rush of minty fresh air instead of lung-clogging tar. Because they have a low dose of nicotine in them, it 's enough to just take the edge off the craving, giving you the chance to distract yourself. I have been doing other things, like imagining myself running every time I want a cigarette and thinking of every cigarette as an extra 100m that I will be able to cover without coughing, if I manage to resist. During previous attempts at stopping smoking, if I have given in to temptation (husband is still smoking plenty so it's tough sometimes!) it's resulted in me totally caving in and deciding that I might as well carry on smoking. This time, however, I have forgiven myself for the odd relapse in the early weeks and have just started the next day as a "non smoker". The best feeling is when you get to where I am now - not being able to remember how many weeks it is since I stopped, without getting a calendar out...

Thanks for the tip about the training programme, I've found it now and am going to give it a try. The sweeper upper sounds like an excellent plan - I do hope there's one at my event! I have a feeling I will need to be rounded up and coaxed past the finish, although now I have discovered this site I have a feeling I will have "virtual" support anyway!

Well done on the weight loss - would be interested to know your tips about that one as I still have plenty of excess pounds despite all the extra exercise I have been doing lately!

Best wishes and thanks again

Oddmile

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.