pre race jitters

Does anyone else suffer from nerves

9 messages
09/09/2008 at 15:08
Does anyone else suffer from pre-race nerves?  On the morning of my last charity 5K run I had the most dreadful stomach cramps, doubled over just walking to the car.  But this was a distance that I had run loads of times before.  They stop as soon as the race starts.  Any thoughts or even better, any solutions?
Iron Pingu    pirate
09/09/2008 at 15:40
I don't get them that bad but I always have butterflies before a race.
09/09/2008 at 17:17

I usually feel pretty jittery... multiple toilet trips etc.

Like you said though, it goes as soon as you're in there and running. 

I used to get it with exams at school, A-levels etc. 

09/09/2008 at 21:44

Why do you think pre race toilets always have queues?

( Usually I'm at the front of them!)

09/09/2008 at 22:00

I find races good for constipation. I always go before I leave the house and again when I get to the race.

Sorry, is that too much information.

10/09/2008 at 09:01
I can pee for England, Scotland & Wales on Race Day... But as you say, get me to the start line and I'm fine.  I used to be the same on Grading Day at kickboxing too.
10/09/2008 at 09:56
It's good to know it's not just me who has to keep running across to the loos, I,m worn out before I start the real run.  I dread a race where there aren't any, even though I,ve been numerous times.
10/09/2008 at 22:52
Me too.  And not just running to the loo, I have mad dreams the night before - about forgetting to have done any training and/or turning up in just my pants.  Quite, quite bizarre.
10/09/2008 at 23:02

Not really now-a-days

did somewhat years ago - don't give things much thought now - just tick the events in the diary - weeks anmd months of them - wait for the gun - and go for it

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.