Pregnant beginner

4 messages
07/10/2002 at 11:43
Hi my names Ann, I'm a 32 year old new runner and I've just found out I'm pregnant. Don't want to lose the last 9 months of hard (but enjoyable) work I've put into my running
are there any other pregnant runners out there with any tips for me - help!
07/10/2002 at 14:24
Hi Anne. As you have already started running, just keep on doing it. I'm not pregnant, but one of the girls who i coach is so i'm learning from her and from what i can pick up off the internet. have you tried using a search for 'running and pregnancy?'
From what i have learned - you will become breathless more quickly so slow down. you will overheat, so wear layers that you can peel off. You will need more water/sports drink on the way and for afterwards. You will need to stop for a pee so use routes with plenty of bushes or petrol stations with toilets, and if you start to feel dizzy - for goodness sake, walk!!
Other than that, just run as you feel. Listen to your body.
08/10/2002 at 09:58
It just so happens that I came across this article this morning:

http://worldofendurance.com/runnersguide/beginners_column.asp

Hope it helps. Seemed good when I read it and I'm not pregnant nor have I ever been. I like to be prepared for these things!
08/10/2002 at 13:50
Hi Ann

I am also with child and managed to run the Great North Run in a personal worst time, but at least i finished it. Keep your heart rate low, and if possible invest in a heart rate monitor. I will soon be hanging up my outdoor running shoes until next year and going a gym till after the baby is born.

Hope all goes well with you.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.