Question from a beginner

41 to 44 of 44 messages
19/03/2014 at 17:18

Crikey. That's one way to ease yourself back in! Take it slowly.

24/03/2014 at 08:44

Well... I did it!

First half marathon ever in 2hrs 3mins exactly.

Not exactly a great time but given my total lack of preparation, a time I'm pretty chuffed with. Given that it was so close, I wish I could have crept under 2hrs but then again, I set out to do 2:15 so really can't complain. I also pretty much know I couldn't have gone much faster.

The first 6 miles or so were pretty easy, run at a consistent pace of just under 9mins/mile. Shortly after that I was in trouble! The plan had been to go at 10mins/mile as I knew that was what I could keep going and that if I went faster I would blow up... I blew up! managed to keep it going reasonably well though with the next 5 miles done at around 10mins/mile - it felt much slower at times but apparently it wasn't. I then got a bit of a 'second wind' to do the last 2 miles in 8:43 and 8:55 for an overall 2:03:00

Despite the tricky 5 miles in the middle, the sore knee and the generally sore everything afterwards, I really enjoyed it.

Plan now... a couple of easy days then try and improve my parkrun time for the next few months then get 1:45 for Birmingham half marathon in October...watch this space!

31/03/2014 at 09:13

So, my attempts at parkrun have begun again...24:19 for my first attempt since December...not a bad effort given what's happened the last few months.

I was on course for a low 23 for about the first half then had to slow...I guess that's just my lack of fitness meaning I couldn't keep it going. I'm hoping in reality by the end of June to be down towards 23:00. Maybe ambitious but we'll see.

Planning on a 3mile and a couple of 4 miles during the week this week...all nice and gentle then will either parkrun or a longer run at the weekend.

31/03/2014 at 13:56

Good running

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 44 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.