Races for beginners

I dont want to be last!

7 messages
28/12/2005 at 20:51
Hi does anyone know any good races (10-15k) that are suitable for beginners and where I wont finish hours behind everyone else! I did do the GNR last year but had to walk some of it and took just over 3 hours. I want to do more practise races before doing the GNR again this year but dont want to look a fool!
28/12/2005 at 21:36
Any of the Cancer Research Races (in the Autumn though). Definately a Race for Life 5K to get you started.

Usually when you look up races you can find previous years results on their websites. Generally pick a bigger race if you can find one.

My first three 10K's were all in the 70 minute plus range and I was never last.

Also, someone has to come last, it's not really that bad you know!!!

Where abouts are you, someone might have some good local recommendations.
28/12/2005 at 21:55
Agree with RHG. Cancer Research 10ks are good - usually they have a corporate sponsor like Tesco who field staff teams (rather than serious runners who train for it) - the last one I did took me 70 minutes and I was overtaking loads of younger runners in Tesco T-shirts towards the end. There's also the Hydroactive challenge 5k(on London Marathon web-site) and I think the British 10k as well. The high profile big races (particularly if for charity) attract walkers too, so little chance of being last.

Try the Cancer Research web-site and sign up for their newsletter - I remember getting an e-mail from them saying they might do something in the spring.
28/12/2005 at 23:20
Don't worry about coming last...I came 2nd to last in a race very disappointed that I didn't come last....the encouragement from all the runners and spectators and marshalls when you are near the back is fantastic....the important thing to remember about running is that really you are running against yourself.....saying that if only I could beat my twin sister just once.....I have only been running since March and I now enter a race a month to keep me motivated....the fact that I finish is fantastic when this time last year I couldn't run for a bus. Keep up the running .....and enjoy :)
29/12/2005 at 07:21
hello
29/12/2005 at 14:06
Thanks. I am in Rugby in Warwickshire, I will look out for the races you have mentioned and meanwhile keep up the training. I am a slow runner but I really enjoy getting out and trying new routes. I am off out this afternoon to run byt he canal. Happy New Year and thanks for your advice. Mazz
01/01/2006 at 22:49
Happy new year to you all.
I am doing a race tomorrow have just spent the last hour decorating a bra??? as it is to raise money for breast cancer. Glad to read that they can be worn over our t-shirts.....

keep running and enjoy the new year.

Lynn

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.