Realistic targets for a 40 something

141 to 160 of 183 messages
28/05/2012 at 09:26

1:59:36 Managed to crack the two hour barrier in the Sheffield half yesterday, to say I am over the moon would be an under statement, absolutely delighted after the recent nightmare at Chester. Enjoyable race, with fantastic local support in parts, without doubt helped improve my performance. Thank you to every person out there cheering, shouting, playing music you helped to make the morning very memorable. I think the wife was happy to get out of the house to work today, she is running talked out for a good while now!

Edited: 28/05/2012 at 09:31
28/05/2012 at 15:04

Well done Jake, after feeling at rock bottom after Chester it must feel all the more better. How was the heat during the race as it was pretty warm/hot across most of the UK.

28/05/2012 at 15:43

cheer, A-r.

The heat was not too bad, tried to mentally prepare for the worst. Around some of the route, it was possible to run in the shadows of buildings / walls etc. I took my own water bottle in a round the wasit strap thing, and would not hesitate to do so again, the crowding at water stations was quite bad at times.

I'm thinking improvement in times will be far more gradual from now on.

02/06/2012 at 20:06

Well done Jake,how did the race go. Was it steady pace all round, or good start and hanging on at the end?

03/06/2012 at 12:24

Well done Jake on getting under 2 hours. What was your actual time? And what is your next target?

03/06/2012 at 17:31

Paul, started off a bit too quick, three sub 9 min miles, 8:30 upwards, then steady around 9 min miles until final 3 miles and was all over the place! I guess running a steady pace throughout a race comes with experience? I'm envious of the guys who can run a certain pace without looking at their watches every few seconds!

Valencia marathon end of November, Nick Not sure what time to aim for atm, going to up mileage over the next few months and see how things pan out. Do you have any targets for the year?

07/06/2012 at 23:58

Just realised you ran 1:59:36 Jake. That was close! I'm sure if you had run a bit slower at the beginning, you would have gone even faster. 

I hope to run the Robin Hood in Sept when I get back from NZ. I just want to break 2 hours this year...

09/06/2012 at 11:36

Well done on the sub 2 hour Jake, really good effort.

Bouncing back above spam hope you don't mind

10/06/2012 at 21:58
Just finished the Wales Marathon in 3:02. Really pleased as I was going for sub 3:15 for a Good For Age time. It was the Wales Marathon, really hilly and was almost soul destroying towards the end.
I will be sticking to Half Marathons for the rest of the year, and hope to do VLM next year
11/06/2012 at 10:44

Good luck with the Robin Hood, Nick. If this old geezer can do two hours, you can smash it

3:02 is the stuff of dreams for me! That gets you a GFA entry for VLM, Also-ran?

A buddy I run with occasionally has thrown down the guantlet for Leeds 10k in July, was constantly goading me yesterdy saying he would bury me timewise He is ten years my junior, but by heck I'm going to train like a lunatic to try and beat him...

11/06/2012 at 14:27

Im quite a new runner too, im 34 and my 3rd half I done in under 2hrs. I see absolutely no reason you cant do the same in 6 months. Sub 1:30 as someone else said is a different ball game however with the right training motivation and LOADS of practice I think its possible.  Once your under 2 aim at 1:50 then I believe every minute after that is going to get harder and harder to shave off.

Good luck 

11/06/2012 at 14:29

Just read back, you done under 2 hrs well done. Good feeling right?

11/06/2012 at 15:18

John as you suggest, was an incredible feeling. Revised plans.

Valencia marathon Nov 2012 :- as near to 4 hours as possible, will revise once I am doing LR of 20 miles+

Barcelona HM Feb 2013 :- sub 1:50 (really fast course).

Hull HM :- 24th June, just want to survive the race, everyone says it's devlish!

What is everyone else planning?

12/06/2012 at 22:59
I've a few half marathons in the summer / autumn:
Up flo down Tow HM - July
Burnham Beeches HM - Aug
Maidenhead HM - Sep
Run to the Beat HM - Oct

Apart from that I am going to give some Park Runs and maybe 10ks a go. I haven't attempted theses before.
Next year hope to be running VLM now I have a good for age.

Valencia and Barcelona sound interesting. Do you have a Spanish connection
13/06/2012 at 19:40

Does anyone here use a heart rate monitor?

13/06/2012 at 23:19
I have a Garmin with a heart rate monitor. I don't use it a huge deal other than for tempo runs (i run these at a specified heart rate and don't focus on my pace), and in races to check I am not overdoing it. Other than that I tend to focus on my pace for long runs, easy runs and intervals, and just scan the heart rate data out of interest. Certainly a useful training tool, and many train by heart rate rather than pace successfully
24/06/2012 at 13:05

1:56:29 :- Hull half marathon today. Absolutely over the moon, it's a demanding course and battling a vicious headwind across the Humber bridge for the final two miles was a killer. The wind was a tougher challenge than 'cardiac hill'!

Getting a good for age entry must be a brilliant feeling? There must only be a small % of runners in the VLM that have GFA entries? Looked at the cost of running a charity place in the VLM, need to raised min £2,000, quite a chunk of which goes to the organisers which seems unfair

25/06/2012 at 21:36

Well done mate.

26/06/2012 at 09:10

Thanks Paul.

re: HRM. I have one for my garmin 305 and think it's great, although I don't use it as technically as Also-ran. After each run I upload my run data including HR to garmin software on the pc. Just looking at the historic data it is easy to see the gradual decrease in HR for doing the same distance and at gradually quicker pace. For the sake of £30 I consider it a useful purchase.

07/07/2012 at 13:42

Leeds 10k tomorrow, not had a run for 10 days due to severe blisters which became infected. Damned blisters are such a bizare and personal thing, read the book "Fixing your feet", and tried numerous solutions over the past few months to no avail. Blisters are just getting worse with each run of more than 5 or 6 miles.

141 to 160 of 183 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.