Realistically, how long from 0-10k?

5 messages
26/04/2009 at 18:36

I got up to 5k before Xmas training with a friend, then my friend gave up and I didn't want to run alone - so I didn't which was stupid because I was really enjoying it).

Anyway, I want to get back into it, even if I do have to run alone, and I need a goal. I've just been looking for a local 5k towards the end of June but all I can find is a 10 in the middle of July. Is it feasible that I could do it?

I'm pretty much starting from scratch but I have a reasonable level of general fitness and no weight or medical issues, but running does not come easily to me, especially as I am my own worst enemy and without the distraction of a friend all I can think about is how uncomfortable I am feeling!

Any thoughts are more than welcome.

26/04/2009 at 18:48
yeah 3 months plenty of time imho! good luck
Running Postie    pirate
26/04/2009 at 18:52
yep I agree with lorenzo, why do you look at having a go at an RW 10 plan?
26/04/2009 at 19:07

I'm training for a 10k and started 10 weeks ago. Like you, I already had a reasonable level of general fitness. I run 3 times per week and hit the 10k mark a couple of weeks ago. I am just working on getting my time down now

So yeah, I think it's perfectly achievable for someone who's already reasonably fit. Good luck!!

26/04/2009 at 22:54

When i started it took me 5 weeks to get to 6 miles, so since you can run 3 allready, you will have no problem. You say your starting from scratch, but your body will soon kick back into the fold.

If your worried about 6 miles, think about this, i'm committed to increasing from a max of 26.2 miles race (and training) to running a 52.4 miles race in 12 weeks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.