Reflections from a Beginner

Just me thinking out loud on Running

21 to 25 of 25 messages
17/10/2012 at 17:24

I think I may try to do a few ParkRuns to test my 10k times, as I wonder if the GPS is a little more acurate in tracking progress over a longer distance. I often notice that my starting pace is erratic and I suspect this is more due to the fact that the start of my routes is often through a wooded area and I think the pace is affected by the problem with GPS signals. So I don't explicitly trust the average pace scores but they are a useful guide.

The main thing is that I am 

17/10/2012 at 17:36

you know the parkruns are 5k races right? is that what you meant? or did you just mean to get out and run at a 10k pace? not trying to be a pedant, just wondered if you knew the parkruns were 5k, otherwise you might turn up and run right past the finish line. I guess you could always carry on runnign and do another lap to make it 10k

20/10/2012 at 18:06

Actually I did think the Park runs were 10k but I have just checked and you are correct that they are 5k. Do you know if you are you allowed to run the route twice andhave your time recorded?

Todays 10k'er details Todays 10K'er

Cheers,

c.

22/10/2012 at 09:50

I would imagine the park run volunteers probably pack up and leave after around 50 minutes, but it could be worth asking them. Check the results for your local park run and see what time the last finishers come in (http://www.parkrun.com/results/firstfinishers)

23/04/2013 at 12:48

Well, it has been a while, but I am still running...

I continued up until mid December when I stopped due to the cold weather and the ice underfoot. I then went skiing and badly tore my calf muscle one morning. This was in February. I have slowly nursed the calf back to full health and I am now back to everaging three times a week again.

I have really missed the running during the last 5/6 weeks or so but am beginning to feel my way again. Innevitably my times are suffering and I have added a little too much weight but already i am feeling better for the running.

I got a Garmin 610 watch for Christmas and now use Garmin Connect to analyse all the stats (although today it seems to be down for some reason).

Here's to some better weather and some great running.

c.

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 12:50

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.