Run Fatboy, Run

ugh my lard hurts

101 to 120 of 137 messages
18/03/2012 at 21:02

After about 5 years of running only now would I say I have "good form".

That s not about speed or pace but a smooth leg action, arm action ( yes the arms are important)

how you hold your body on the flat, on hills, up and down.

All these things can if not correct give you hip pain, shin splints, stitches, and all manner of lower leg pain.

So often I see runners "running into the ground" as I call it, tense shoulders, arms high, legs with non-existant swing action, simply being  stamped into the ground.

You have plenty of time, dont spend it  learning bad habits, watch the best on the internet and see how they move. Again not how fast but the action, the flow that should be the same irrespective of the  pace.

Find some where quiet and practice form until it becomes second nature.

Dont fall in to the trap that you have a "natural" style that should not be "messed" with,

If its causing injuries mess with it until its walks out and takes the cat. If its inefficiant  sack it and get another one.

You learnt to walk and you have to learn to run.

Good fortune.

03/04/2012 at 23:00
Hey Toby... how are you doing? Are you still running?
04/04/2012 at 09:46
Thanks Stephen

Hi Nick yup I've just been rather busy and neglecting the forums!

I've changed my route back to just the neighbourhood one as the main A4 is too busy, too loud and too polluted

I just have to get my running with confidence with other people up now so that I can join Parkrun!

04/04/2012 at 09:53
Good to hear. I was worried injury may have struck you down. Snow here in Leeds today... so I don't fancy my chances of getting out for an evening run... it's already a few inches thick where I live...

Have you noticed your shins have settled down at all?
04/04/2012 at 11:07
I love snow...I went running at -6 in the snow in feb I think

Shins still feel a bit sensitive with the odd twinge but better than before...not sure if my badminton is helping or hindering
04/04/2012 at 13:17
I've tried running in snow... decided the chance of injury is too great as I always seem to find an icy/slippery spot lurking just beneath the nice padded snow...

But it looks like a thaw may have started... with any luck the pavements will be clear later...
04/04/2012 at 13:36
Cake - Good point. It's all about grip. I may have to look into getting some shoes for off-road if next winter turns out rough...
04/04/2012 at 13:38
The only time I ever stretch for badminton is if there's a coach about

I love the idea of running on the moors, but there aren't any in Reading!
17/04/2012 at 16:55
Hey Toby... any updates on progress?
20/04/2012 at 10:23

Hi all,

Only just joined the RW forum and just found this thread and have really enjoyed reading it.

Like others on this thread i'm fairly new to running, only started in July last year, when I got signed up by a mate to a 10k mud/obstacle run in September lasy year. When I started I could run for about 10 mins before I felt like collapsing. Anyway fast forward 9 months or so and I can now run for over an hour and half fairly comfortably.

I still consider myself a beginner, i'm now trying to increase my 5 and 10K times for a couple of trail races I've entered in June /July this year. Am also considering my first half in September this year  (the Robin Hood hlaf in Nottingham).

I seem to be struggling to incresae my pace, am trying to do tempo and interval runs but finding it difficult to judge what pace I should be running at and for what distance (I haven't got a Garmin, only the endomondo app on my phone, which is god but not easy to keep looking at etc). So any tips would be appreciated!

20/04/2012 at 10:32
Hey Tommy. I ran in the Robin Hood half for the first time last year. I understand it will be a new route this year. They are taking out most of the hills...

As for running faster. I presume you do your long slow hour and a half runs at the weekend? Try some really short runs mid week... I had a similar problem as you trying to speed up. Then I started doing a 2 mile run down a gentle downward gradient. Keep it short to begin with. Even just a mile first up. Start slow and gradually increase your pace (slowly) until you get to a point where you know if you go any faster you'll be out of breath and will have to stop. I found that the more I did this the longer I could go at a faster pace... then I added in some hill work, which also helped me with pace...

See how you go. It takes time... but once you can run for at least a mile slightly downhill at a pace you are happy with... try doing it on the flat...
20/04/2012 at 13:36

Hi Nick,

Cheers for that, will give it a go next week. I'm working down in Cornwall, sure I'll be able to find some hills down there!

You're right I do long runs on a sunday afternoon with a mixture of r3ecovery and tempo/interval running and 6 a side football during the week.

Yeah i've heard they're chnaging the route due to the extension of the tram system meaning a lot of roads are shut off. They can take out as many hills as they like! Are you doing Robin Hood again this year?

20/04/2012 at 13:45
I hope to be doing the Robin Hood this year if I am in the country. Looking forward to missing the big hills from last year.

Let me know if the running down a slight incline helps you to get used to running faster... it may not work for everyone. I just saw someone mention it and so tried it myself and it seems to have worked so far this season...
07/05/2012 at 13:28

Afternoon all,

Have taken the plunge and entered the Robin Hood half (my first half marathon) which is at the end of September.

I am intending on following one of the taining plans on this site which I will start in the middle of June. Have also got a couple of 10k's booked in (one in 4 weeks and another in August ) so hopefully they'll be good training.

I have been doing a bit of hill work to help out with my speed, including the suggestion from Nick, so hopefully over the next few weeks I'll start to see an improvement.

Got a bit of a hamstring 'niggle' at the moment, hopefully nothing serious and just something I picked up yesteday which will ease over the next couple of days.

Hope the original person who started this thread is still making progress?

07/05/2012 at 14:05

Hey Tommy... I hope to enter the Robin Hood as well. I'll be back in the country by then so hopefully fit and rearing to go... Glad to hear you are making some progress as regards speed....

Hopefully Tobyloby is still doing OK as well... he's been quiet lately...

Edited: 07/05/2012 at 14:05
03/06/2012 at 12:27

Any update from Tobyloby?

09/06/2012 at 13:42

bounce!

11/06/2012 at 09:12

Morning all,

Just a bit of an update, after entering the Robin Hood half I thought it would be a good idea to take part in a couple of shorter events leading up to it. Yesterday was the first one, a 10K trail run round the grounds of Clumber Park. My previous PB for a 10K was ~54mins, when I entered I optimistically put a finish time doen of sub 50mins. I'm pleased to report I did manage sub 50 with the timing chip recording my time as 47:44, so a massive PB and a massive barrier broken (I never thought I'd be able to get below 50 mins).

Must say a massive thanks to the random bloke who passed me after about 4K when I was 'lagging', as I used him as a pace setter and managed to keep within 10 metres or so of him all the way to the finish. Without his pace I doubt I'd have been able to do it!

So anyway going to have a couple of easy weeks before starting a training plan for the Robin Hood half, hopefully get another 10K done before the half, and maybe get a sub 45 for that !

Shame that Tobyloby isn't posting anymore, used to enjoy reading his posts/updates.

Hope things are good with you Nick?

Cheers

Tommy

14/08/2012 at 16:56

Hey Tommy I have been away overseas... resting up my achilles (which seems fine now) and just starting to run again after 6 weeks off with no running. 6 weeks till the Robin Hood.so I better get cracking!

How has your training been going Tommy? 

14/08/2012 at 16:58

By the way... 47 mins is a pretty handy time! Did the downhill rnunning help you at all with regards to speed?

101 to 120 of 137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.