Running again after gap of 9 years - am I mad?

Any advice/support gratefully received!

7 messages
02/08/2014 at 16:23

Took up running in 2003 aged 39 and got totally bitten by the bug. Was soon up to 50+ miles a week and several marathons including two at 3.52 (reckon I had a 3.30 in me as my best half was 1.35). All came crashing down in 2005 when I got ill and after 2 years got diagnosed with MS. Fortunately a relatively mild form but I hung up my running shoes as I couldn't cope with it at the time. Last weekend, now aged 50, inspired by watching the CWG marathon, I dug them out and ran round the block. 1 mile, about 12 minutes, thought I was going to die afterwards. Now been 4 times, same distance and it's definitely getting easier - well until I tripped up the kerb and face planted the pavement this morning! Don't necessarily want to run races again (well...) for now I just want to get up to doing 3-4 miles 4 times a week. Will persevere just gradually adding distance, but if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it.

02/08/2014 at 18:48

No.

PS remember you are coming to a running forum, so saying basically is running mad to a group of runners .... Doesn't really make sense  

Go careful usually 3 times a week is enough for a newbie for the first two or three months whilst building up  

02/08/2014 at 18:53

Oh look up "park runs" via google these are free runs hosted all over the country every saturday morning, a great free way of getting into running and getting timed. 

They are 5k runs. 

03/08/2014 at 20:59
03/08/2014 at 21:05

where did he even get a brussel sprout from at this time of year?! 

04/08/2014 at 07:18

Good for him and I am surprised the sprout lasted al the way up Snowdon.

12/08/2014 at 22:45

Hello middleagedmum.  I am half like you, insofar as I am a middle aged mother taking running up after years (at least 25) an think I am being a bit barmy.  The other half is less like you....I was never good, never bitten by the running bug despite offering up my jugular, and never had a debilitating illness to cope with.

Anyway, you made me smile with your face plant and I didn't even see it! How are you getting on? I hope you are doing ok...be nice to hear how your journey is going.

PS I've been training for GNR from a standing start...still waiting for the damn bug to nibble my neck, so running 3 or 4 times week very reluctantly  but enjoying it a little mor recently as mu fatness/ fitness improves.  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.