Running clubs in Tamworth area

17 messages
17/11/2002 at 17:47
Does anyone know of a running club in the Tamworth, Staffs area that would welcome a knackered old woman with dreams of being Paula Radcliffe, but who in all reality would be no threat to Rik Waller?

Alternatively, are there any non-competitive female runners looking for a running partner in this area?

Thanks.
18/11/2002 at 16:41
I'll boing this for you since I was born and dragged up in Tamworth for the first 20 years of my life.
08/01/2003 at 16:22
boing
08/01/2003 at 16:32
I'm in North Birmingham, Dreamer2, and wouldn't mind coming out to Tamworth for some (slow) training runs.

As for clubs, the Royal Sutton Running Club would be worth a try - they have a very friendly veterans' section.

Cheers, V-rap.
08/01/2003 at 16:40
You dont want to risk slow runs in Tamworth V-rap, trust me, I'm not a doctor. Fast as you can love!
08/01/2003 at 16:47
If the natives of Tamworth are as lardy as the rest of the population of the West Midlands, my slowness will not matter. All things are relative.

Anyway, I don't wear jewellery or carry a mobile phone. But I shall file my elbows to a point and eat a plateful of sprouts before setting off.

Why not come and be our bodyguard, Chimp?
08/01/2003 at 18:30
To be honest, the natives of Tamworth are more than likely to be so wasted on drug/alcohol cocktails that they won't even notice a few runners passing by. Be warned though, the sober ones have wheels (although they spend most of their time falling off the halfpipe in the Arena carpark)...
08/01/2003 at 19:04
If you fancy venturing as far as B'ham, Birchfield Harriers has a good all rounders section, for men and women. But, I'm pretty Tamworth has a road running club or even track club of their own, will have to investigate.
08/01/2003 at 19:04
If you fancy venturing as far as B'ham, Birchfield Harriers has a good all rounders section, for men and women. But, I'm pretty sure Tamworth has a road running club or even track club of their own, will have to investigate.
08/01/2003 at 21:37
Tamworth has got an athletics club, but rumour has it (someone who knows more may correct me) that it's quite successful, and therefore, for beginners such as me, a little bit intimidating.

To be honest, I'd currently be far more likely to join a Tamworth "Go-for-a-short-jog-then-a-pint" Club than an Athletics Club - just sounds a bit too competitive.
10/01/2003 at 17:04
Burton AC meet Monday 6-30/7.30pm @ Shobnall Leisure Centre just off the A38, Wednesdays indoor training. Possibly nearer to Tamworth than Birchfield.
17/01/2003 at 19:44
Thanks for all the replies!! Am looking into your suggestions and plodding the streets of Tamworth in the meantime to try and get a bit of fitness for the Spring ....
18/01/2003 at 08:34
Dreamer - I'll probably bump into you at some point - I'm the tall one who's probably limping a bit and struggling to breathe! Usually run round the lake between Ventura Park and SnowDome. What about your route? Any ideal routes I don't know about?!
18/10/2012 at 09:38

If anyone fancies (slow) running in the Kingsbury area, I use the water park, and surrounding area, and it  would be nice to have some company!

18/10/2012 at 10:06

We do a beginners group at Tamworth AC on a Thurs at 7.15. You are welcome to come and take a look. We have all abilities.

18/10/2012 at 10:08

Oops just noticed this thread is from 2002

30/04/2013 at 08:16

Hey Muriel. This is a bit of a long shot. Beens as your post is from last year lol. My name is Gemma and I live in wilnecote. I am 25 years old. I'm a beginner. I do a lot of walking mainly but would love to start jogging maybe even running if i can lol. I'd be happy to meet at the waterpark or wherever really. If your still looking for someone to train with please get in touch. Gemski22@live.co.uk xxx

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.