Running Etiquette

6 messages
MR
09/10/2002 at 15:08
I am a beginner and I am training for the London Marathon. Most of my running is done in and around Tooting Bec Common where I often come into contact with other runners - I'm running one way, they're running the other way and we pass eachother. I would like to say "Hi" to these people as we pass but, as a beginner, I am shy and not sure of the etiquette so I just look at them, waiting for them to say "Hi" to me but they never do. Is this normal and am I wrong to want to say "Hi" as I meet other runners ? Wouldn't that be nice ? I have found pedestrians on Tooting Bec Common to be very polite, however, kindly moving out of the way and smiling etc.

Michael Rodgers.
09/10/2002 at 15:16
Hi michael, I am beginnerish, 5 months, and I allways say Hi/Good morning, and 99% of time I get one back, friendly lot runners.
So say Hi......

Gaz........
09/10/2002 at 15:46
Anything from a nice clear "Hi" and a smile to a grunt and a half hearted attempt to lift your hand is fine (if you can only raise a grunt don't worry they'll understand).

No point trying to engage them in conversation or crack jokes it'll only out you & them off and anyway you'll have passed before you get to the end.

Coming back from a long run last Saturday I was working hard up the final hill to my house when a neighbour said "Good morning, that's looking impressive etc", all I could manage was a very limp way and a grunt - I felt the need to find them later in the day to apologise (not sure why).

Hope you continue to find that runners really are a friendly (if slightly mad) group.
09/10/2002 at 16:20
Hi Michael - I'm a beginner too, and run up and down the canal in Tottenham. I normally give passing runners a 'Hi' or a smile, and often get a nod and smile in return. Except for one really speedy whippet-like man who races past me looking (a) fantastic and (b) much too serious to awknowledge a greeting. So I just run backwards for a few paces and admire the view...
09/10/2002 at 17:07
I Try and catch their eye. If they look at me then I smile and and nod. I would say about half will look and half don't even acknowledge my existance :-( The more posh the area the less smiles.
09/10/2002 at 17:17
Funny, I live in London too (originally from Ireland) and I find the same reaction but in numerous situations, not just running. Pubs, tube, street, work. Then again I dont wash and maybe that explains it

PS the last bit was a joke, honest, no,no ,it was OKAY

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.