Running for Little People

8 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/09/2002 at 08:44
Hi all,
I have only recently taken up running myself and I'm not that good but my 5yr old son has meantioned that he would like to coming running with me.
Any advice!?
Kim
08/09/2002 at 09:59
My 5 yr old daughter loves running with me, and can keep up for 1.5 - 2 miles. She loves doing the fun runs at running events, I think this is a great introduction to sport for her.

If myself and my husband go to the playing field to do some speedwork, we can take her with us, and she will happily charge up and down with us, but she can rest when she wants.

I do worry a bit that such a high impact sport might not be good for her, but I think in reality, it's probably very good for her, helping to strengthen her bones, improve cardio vascular fitness, and give her a healthy outlook.

I think the key is to encourage but never push. Chloe does what running she wants, when she wants to. And she loves it!

Karen.
08/09/2002 at 10:49
You could have him cycling alongside, as my son (slightly older) does with me.
08/09/2002 at 18:05
EP, do involve your son in your running. Health-wise, the future will be so much better for the next generation if they grow up in families where their parents enjoy and participate in sport.

It sould be relatively easy at present to take him out on short walk/runs with you. Problems might start to arise when your runs get longer and faster and having a 5-year-old tagging along slows you down or limits your distance. That's where cross-training in the form of a weekly long family walk will come in useful.

My oldest (11) is quite keen to run. She did a 2-mile fun run today, and I was pleased to see that children as young as 5 were joining in. My 6-year-old, who appears to have inherited every athletic gene my husband and I possess, is keen to have a go at the next one, and I may well enter the lot of them for a fun run in two weeks. The only worry is the 4-year-old, who still whinges for a carry if she has to walk too far.

I wish my parents had been interested in doing active things as a family when I was a child. To them, a "run" was "a run in the car" - every Sunday afternoon Dad drove 60 or 70 miles, Mum knitted and listened to Radio 2 and bragged afterwards about how many miles were on the clock, and my sister and I hated these outings with a passion because we didn't GO anywhere or DO anything, we could have been out on our bikes or playing street tennis at home, and we weren't allowed to take books to read because we were supposed to be enjoying the beautiful scenery of Scotland...I promised that when I had children I would never make them suffer a "wee run in the car", and I have kept that promise.

Wee Sunday runs in the park...yes, I think I'd have loved those. Hopefully my children will.
08/09/2002 at 18:55
I often get accompanied by my kids (and their friends) on micro-scooters! I should add that on those occasions I run on a tarmac cycle track.
08/09/2002 at 20:00
Like others my 9 year old rides her bike on the cycle track and embarrassingly shouts loudly encouragement !!!
09/09/2002 at 09:13
Karen,

I also get encouragement, along the lines of "hurry up slowpoke" as we run/cycle along the towpath. If you want to get your own back, head for some grass - surprising how much harder it is to cycle over the green stuff than tarmac. Soon slows the little blighter down.
09/09/2002 at 12:25
try going along to your local athletics club, try it out for weeks before joining, at mine there are about 30-40 adults and about 100 kids, most at about 4-10 yr olds.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.