running further or quicker

11 messages
01/05/2012 at 08:19

Some help please!!

I ran/walked 1.5/1  min x7 last week.

today i was supposed to start 2/1 x 7. But because of the rain i just tried to pace it out.(my only timer on cumbersome ole phone) however according to ipod tunes time the same route took me 15 minutes instead of 21.

so again to the title of my thread. running further or quicker? i need to be able to do 10 miles by 0ctober 27th.

Eternally grateful for any help.

Caroline x

01/05/2012 at 08:25

My advice (as a beginner myself) would be to get a decent training plan and stick to it.  Pushing yourself too much at early stages causes injuries.

Runnersworld, Bupa, Hal Hidgon, Jeff Galloway, NHS C25K, all have good beginners plans which build up fitness and confidence in a good way.

HTH

01/05/2012 at 08:46
Get a watch. You won't regret it.
01/05/2012 at 08:50
dan stannard wrote (see)
Get a watch. You won't regret it.

+1

And further.

01/05/2012 at 08:55
thanks all. i'm going to be on the lookout for a watch. tho i really dont feel like i pushed myself further than i could manage. thursday it will strictly be 2/1 x 7 !!
01/05/2012 at 11:48
Hi,

Just to follow up on Evie May said, if you go to the ASICS website there is a section which will calculate a training plan for you. All you need to do is enter details like the distance you are training for, how fast you want to run and what your standard is now. Pretty simple to use so might be worth a look.

Rouser
01/05/2012 at 19:24
Stick to duration of run for now.  You will naturally get faster, but don't try to run faster.  Just run easy.  For newbies, distance first, then speed.  (repeat that to yourself often)  Running farther will make you faster.  It will also give you a base for later doing speed work which will also make you faster, but speed work is pretty tough if you don't have the endurance to complete the workouts.
01/05/2012 at 22:14
thankyou susan and rouser. my mantra for today(aside from i want my bed) is distance first then speed. tho i dont think i was running any faster i just ran more than walked.
02/05/2012 at 08:19
I always think longer till your base is established. Then try shorter quicker runs or intervals to speed up.
02/05/2012 at 08:19
Oops - repeated the advice there.
03/05/2012 at 05:13
Johnny, you can never say that too many times to newbies.  Speed is so alluring, but distance is the bedrock upon which speed is built.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.