Running in the dark

I'm going to have to learn to like it

21 to 27 of 27 messages
21/09/2012 at 12:17
21/09/2012 at 12:28

Thats where the running clubs come in handy in winter, you can all wear head torches and be hi vized up and it helps all

I actually quite like running in the dark  I have a headtorch, a cap with a flashing light in it and lots of hi viz gear

I thought only miners wore headtorches haha but I wouldnt be without it and dont care what I look like

21/09/2012 at 13:27

Just ordered mine!!

21/09/2012 at 13:41
Dean the Whippet wrote (see)

There's nothing like trail running at night!!!

I use the LED Lenser H7 (i think) it's a really good light but a little bit more pricey. You can get a version that comes with rechargeable batteries too.

Dean. How easy/difficult is it trail running at night ? Do you focus so much on the ground in front of you that you can get wacked round the head with a tree branch ?? A lot of trails near me are quite 'rcoky', have you run in the dark on such trails ?

28/09/2012 at 09:34

i did my first dark run yesterday evening on a trail and used a head torch, it worked out ok although it was almost full moon. expect your pace to drop.

i have a petzl tikka xp 2 and it has a diffuser that can be flipped down to create a wide beam which is more practical. i didn't feel self conciousness using it as it was pitch black when i started, but i might feel different if the run started in the light of dusk and finished in the dark.

01/10/2012 at 13:58

New for this season if money is no object is the Petzl Nao with adaptive brightness. It gets good reviews so far. I agree the Petzl Tikka is good though I sometimes fumble for the flip-down diffusor. The LED Lenser H7 is good, with a power slider on the back of the head. Princeton Tec is good with both lesser diode diffuse light and one central more lowerful light. Most of last season I ran with a LED Lenser T5 handtorch as well as, or alone, held at waist height to throw shadows better, e.g., roots, rock. It's also useful to have in the hand on pavement in town to flick on athazards e.g. road junctions to warn cars, even if the streetlighting is otherwise adequate. If you carry both a head and hand torch you're never caught out, practically speaking.

02/10/2012 at 16:07

Some of the routes I run are ankle turners during daylight! No way would I attempt them in dim light. Roads and tracks are ok at night with a headtorch.. and the nice thing is no-one can see my red sweating face while in stealth mode! 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.