running water

2 messages
07/10/2002 at 12:57
Hello
I have now been running for 2 months and have recently completed my first 5K fun run, which I enjoyed immensely!!
The day was extremely sunny and unexpectedly warm for an October morning, the ground was also far more hilly than I was used to in my training. This meant that halfway round the course my mouth became extremely dry and I felt considerably overheated. I decided to make the most of the water stops and after running for about 3K I drank what seemed like a tiny amount of water.....Anyway, within about a minute, I had a raging stitch and then another minute later I had the feeling that my intestines were going to explode one way or the other(don't want to put you all off your lunches!!!!). I managed to push myself forward until I was about about 500M from home then I had to stop, I felt so ill!!! I walked for a 100M and managed to jog to the finish getting in with a time of 27.22. It is the first time I have ever had a drink whilst running. I know you are meant to keep well hydrated, but I am worried that this will happen again. I am now training to increase my distance to 10 K and know that this will become more of an issue.
Does anyone know what I did wrong, or has anyone else experienced this? I would really like some advise...
Thank you

07/10/2002 at 14:05
If you haven't had a drink on the run before, it is probably your body saying "Hey! What's this?" YOu need to acclimatize your body to taking on water when running. Can you take a bottle with a sport lid with you for your training runs, and start to sip as you run? Start with just water and a few tiny sips. It might help to roll the water round your mouth to warm it up before swallowing - also will help to prevent you taking in too much air at the same time.
Do you have a drink before running, so that you are not dehydrated before starting?
Practise will help on this one - it you do on to do longer runs, you will need to be able to drink on the way.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.