Running with a COLD?

8 messages
27/09/2002 at 20:54
Im due to run in the 10km Discovery at Dovercourt Essex tomorrow 28/9.

I have developed a slight cold just runny nose that might get worse with time.

I was just looking for advice from fellow runners who have run with a cold before, I feel fine but it will be different when I start running.

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.
27/09/2002 at 22:57
Dean,

My understanding is that if the cold is in your head it's safe to run. But if it's on the chest, don't even think about it.

Beyond that, I defer to the medically better-qualified. Hope that helps, anyway.
28/09/2002 at 23:35
I eventually run I felt terrible my first 10km run with only 2 weeks training and managed to clock 39:32 which was satisfying.

But any advice to other runners DONT DO IT!
29/09/2002 at 18:17
Satisfying - should say. And you need better advice than mine in your other thread, you lucky thing! You're only beginning, and you're way out of my class.
30/09/2002 at 15:48
Wow, Dean. That's a brilliant time. I've been running about 7 years and can't do that time for 10km. Join a club and get some serious coaching. You could be the next Paula Radcliffe (well, the male version anyway.)
02/11/2002 at 22:24
Be careful, two years ago I ran with a cold / flu and ended up having 3 months off work as it went into my heart. Luckily my fitness meant it did no long term damage and I'm running again.
05/11/2002 at 13:38
I ran a couple of days after I thought I'd got over a chest cold. I felt absolutely terrible. Don't do it!
05/11/2002 at 22:23
Don't run with a cold. I did and ended up getting another one immediately and missing nearly 2 weeks of running. I saw my doctor as I thought I had a chest infection (I didn't) and he advised rest. As he is a runner I trusted his judgement and rested. And would do so in future.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.