RW first 5k schedule

Anyone following it?

13 messages
28/02/2007 at 16:20
The schedule that I've been following has worked for me before, but looking at the 5k schedule on here it looks like I'm being really slow! By the end of week 2 on RW schedule I should be running for 5 mins, but on the one I'm following (Running Made Easy book)I'm still only on 1 min run 2 min walk by the end of week 2.

Any words of wisdom? Which do you think I should follow? Anyone else following either of these plans?
28/02/2007 at 19:26
Hi cornishchick,

I have no idea about the training plan you are following. I did the one on here for the race for life. It was great.

Well done on going out and running. Hope you are enjoying it.

I have a thread on here on beginners called just starting out if you want to join it but if not I will come on here and see how you are doing.

Sarah
28/02/2007 at 19:59
Hiya Chick - I think you should just go with what works for you. I started off following a plan, but at first it was too hard, then not hard enough etc.

cj x
05/03/2007 at 15:21
Hiya C. Chick,

How are you doing with your running?

What stage are you at?

Sarah
05/03/2007 at 18:57
I followed RW and just did my first 5k! I wasn't fast at all, but hey -- I made it :) you can, too.
Remember for us newbies it's getting there that counts!
05/03/2007 at 20:21
I followed the Running Made Easy plan, and did my first 5K at the end of that part of the book in 27mins 33. It was quick enough for me!

Building up slowly worked for me, I never ached and found it motivational. I'm just trying to get back into things after a break.....why is starting again so much harder than the first time!??! I must dig that book out again.
05/03/2007 at 21:50
Well done Alina and well done Rebekah.

I have been running since September and my fastest is only 31.29 but at least I can get around and run the whole 5k now.

What have you both got planned next? Are you going to do any more races?

sarah
05/03/2007 at 23:57
Oh yes, my goal is to do a 1/2 marathon by December.
There's also a 10k here in June or July I may make :)
Right now I'm just trying to make up a training program that fits me -- yes I did 5k but I barely made it, and did 40 minutes, I'm not satisfied with that speed.
06/03/2007 at 08:18
Wow a HM that would be great.

I would like to get under 30 mins by mid May for 5k and hope to do a 5 mile race at some point too (the date escapes me at the moment. I am entered in the Stratford tr in May (only the fun one. There is a thread on it on these forums.

Alina, It doesn`t matter how long it took you you still did the distance and you will get faster.

10K sounds good but I am not up to that distance yet. Maybe later in the year.

Sarah
07/03/2007 at 10:30
Hi everyone, just thought I'd pop in and say hello and to let you know that Ive decided to continue with the Running Made Easy schedule as I followed it before successfully so I'm trusting it again! It has 10k, 1/2 mara and full mara plans as well, so should be my faithful friend for some time to come!
07/03/2007 at 14:44
Well done Cornish. I think most training schedules are similar. I don`t think any minor differences are worth worrying about.

Have you any events lined up,

sarah
07/03/2007 at 16:08
That's good to know Cornish. I'm looking for a training schedule myself as well. Let us know how this worked for you ;)
07/03/2007 at 16:12
Well I followed it last year and it was great, but then I injured my foot (shoes were too small)so am only now getting back to it, and having to start all over again!

I think I'm going to a RFL in May and then a 4 miler that I did last year in August which I'm keen to do again, I'd like to start doing 10k's and I think I'm going to try and do a half towards the end of the year. I'm keen!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.