RW Marathon FLM Beginners - Philippa

Help and advice needed!

1 to 20 of 136 messages
Daniel Benson.    pirate
03/11/2003 at 12:42
Runner’s World has plucked three lucky souls from the forums to take on a massive challenge - to get from virtually nothing to 26.2 miles in time for the 2004 Flora London Marathon.

Please give a warm welcome to Philippa, and her very own forum thread. She will be updating us on her progress and is keen for any advice or encouragement you can give.

You can read Philippa's article here.
03/11/2003 at 18:15
Good luck Phillipa. Hope it all goes well for you.
03/11/2003 at 18:20
Good Luck! I have faith that you will do it!
03/11/2003 at 18:32
Hi! Have fun trawling through these pages. There's a good thread (Nosy) on training at the moment, in case you were wondering whether this was a good idea or not.

We'll all be cheering for you. Actually, literally on the day, at mile 18, but that's another matter.

03/11/2003 at 21:19
Philippa, good luck with all the training,and keep us posted on how it's going

03/11/2003 at 21:40
Good luck phillipa...There are a few of us out here training for our first marathon too so you are certainly not alone and it will be great to follow your progress...let us know how it goes..good days and bad..theres someone who's been there around to help
03/11/2003 at 22:29
Hipppo waves
Well, if i can do it, anyone can
be prepare to want to do more than one marathon
04/11/2003 at 01:08
Good luck Phillippa.

Start putting in those miles!
04/11/2003 at 09:51
Hi Phillipa
Just popped in to say good luck, after reading the article on the home page!

Believe me, its a hard long road, but one that will feel you with satisfaction,and the sense of achievement, when you get to the end of it!

It will also increase your health tenfold, and will benefit you greatly! And the one worrying thing is that it will become mightily addictive, and you will want to do another...after all i had planned just to do the 1..(15 later.....)
D1
04/11/2003 at 10:08
Looking forward to following your progress Phillippa - good luck & go for it girl!
Gav
04/11/2003 at 11:05
Yeah, good luck mate.It's important to take things slowly and to get in a few shorter races in before the big day since doing a marathon as your first ever race will be a hugely daunting task. Try a local 10K early next year before attempting a half a little later on. Maybe the FLM half marathon at Silverstone. Don't do too much though. Try following a beginners schedule for the marthon.
3TL
04/11/2003 at 11:32
Where is Philippa?
04/11/2003 at 13:35
I don't know but good luck to her anyway.
04/11/2003 at 15:02
Hi Philippa
I ran the Belfast Marathon 13 years ago.(4hrs) Have not done much training since due to work commitements. I am starting from scratch this month and aiming for FLM 2004. I too want to loose weight and also give up the fags - so here goes!!!!! The best of luck to you.
04/11/2003 at 15:39
Philippa
FLM in 2002 was my first marathon. I crossed the line in tears. It was one of the best days of my life and a truly wonderful experiance.

Don't set a time just enjoy the day FLM is the best marathon and a truly great experiance.

Look out for the FORUMITES at mile 18 who will be there to cheer you on.

Also get yourself some URWFRC kit and join in at some of your local races where other forumites will be there to cheer you on and give you support.

See you there next year.
04/11/2003 at 17:32
Hi Philippa,

My first marathon was this years' FLM and I crossed the line with a huge smile and bucket loads of tears - it really is a life changing event, nothing can compare to it.

Take all the advice given but absorb it at your own rate, don't try to apply everything at once. Don't set yourself big goals - my first goal was to be able to run for a minute without stopping, then take it from there.

You will grow to love running (if you don't already) and don't be afraid to talk to everyone you know about it. If I had one pound for everyone who said to me "I couldn't do what you are doing", I would be typing this on a hot beach somewhere exotic. Don't take on board anyones' doubts about what you are doing, if anyone says something to make you think twice, just think that at least you are making the commitment - are they and could they ever do what you're doing?

I agree with not setting yourself a time, your big aim will be to finish and you will. Make sure your running vest has your name on it as the boost you get from hearing it shouted out by thousands of spectators will spur you on no end.

Good luck with your training and enjoy every minute of it all :0)

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/11/2003 at 20:03
Go Girl!
Good Luck and enjoy the ride!
Wellcome to the forum too ... land of addicted peeps! That's addicted to the forum and running!!

Hopefully I'll see you there at the start of FLM otherwise I'll be at mile 18 with the rest!

Pix
04/11/2003 at 21:00
good luck guys... and remember to enjoy it all!

also beware of people just pasting identical posts on all your threads! it;s the personal touch that really counts!
04/11/2003 at 21:20
good luck all of you - my first marathon was FLM in 2003 - enjoy the experience, the training and camaraderie of the day (and of course the forum. me - I'm sweating on a place for 2004 - and still running for the sheer hell of it.
05/11/2003 at 12:30
Philippa, Good luck. I hope you get as much out of it as I do (6 months, not even thinking about a marathon yet but wishing I were!)
Remember to relish and re-live the good bits and don't sweat on the not-so-good-bits. And spoil yourself.A lot. (All good advice that I don't follow myself,by the way!
1 to 20 of 136 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.