same results

1 to 20 of 30 messages
10/08/2008 at 16:01
Done my 2nd 10k today. Had to walk an extra 3 k to get to the leisure centre, so 13 k in all. But while doing the 10 k, I still resulted in the same time. I'm getting tired really easily. Had a good breakfast. Drunk so much I felt water logged. So ending up at doing it in 1.20 this time. Just wondering if there is anything to build up my stamina and endurance so I can get it in better time, or will that come over time with training?
M...eldy    pirate
10/08/2008 at 16:37

You keep asking the questions and you get advice ..... 

Go back to 3 or 4 miles and then build up gradually from there,  dont jump to distances that are perhaps beyond your current capabilities.

Speed and distance does not happen overnight and forcing the issue will end in injury.

But,  all said and done well done for getting out there but give yourself a break on times and speed.

10/08/2008 at 16:39
ok.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
10/08/2008 at 16:41
It's simply building up endurance. You need to do this slowly and steadily and not expect a PB each time. M.Eldy put it really well - congrats on getting out there!
10/08/2008 at 16:44
cheers. I know the time is not important as I'm just starting out, but I guess I have to ignore that side and concentrate on building up over time. Thank you for your support and advice.
10/08/2008 at 17:23

Now you have run 10k twice why not try and time yourself over 5k?

I bet you will be pleased with the result. At the very least it will give you a much clearer idea of what you might be capable of over 10k once you have properly trained up.

In the build up to a 10k you should be running your longest distance quiet slowly in order to build endurance. It is initailly your time over shorter distances that will indicate and produce any improvements in speed.

Try not to be so impatient with yourself. That way only lies disappointment.

Build steadily and you will get their quicker than you think.

10/08/2008 at 17:25

I'm just a beginner myself, started 5 weeks ago, but agree it might help to concentrate on the the non-measurable side of things - the beauty of the land arouond you, how much stronger you feel, how much less of a struggle a s#certain distancwe/time is, how much better you look, how much brighter you feel etc - rather than getting hung up on numbers.

I know you are used to comparing yourself against a number, and it is reassuring, but being capable and healthy is not a measure, and isn't guaranteed if you reach a certain number type goal.

Have you spoken to your counsellor about this sort of thing? it may help . . . . .

PS I'm not considering a  10K for quite some time  - and I am very very happy with my progress - everything is a battle against myself, and the worth is in what I think - not from comparing myself to others or preset numbers.

10/08/2008 at 17:28

yeah - training will build up your speed! Buidl up slowly and have patience.

one technique you can use (although personally I'd get your legs more used to running first) is to use intervals - alternate two minutes at a fast pace with two minutes at a slow pace.  The paces will depend on what you're capable of doing - the fast one should get you slightly out of breath and then you get your breath back on the slower ones - pitch the paces accordingly.

For instance - when I used to do it, I typically ran at about 11kph, so I alternated 10 and 12.  If you can use a heart rate monitor it's useful as you can see the HR go up on the fast bits and come down on the slow bits.  I'd get your legs more used to running first though by doing the things Meldy suggested.

Out of interest - are you holding the same speed over the 10k or are you (say) starting off fast and then having to slow down a lot throughout? 

10/08/2008 at 17:33

Yes I am holding the same speeds. Tried to increase, but it was too much. I know I need more muscle. Had to have many 30 secs breaks through that as well. Drunk tons as I was so thirsty.

Starting quite fast- 12 mins in I am having to reduce.

M...eldy    pirate
10/08/2008 at 17:35
start as slow as the pace that you finished at ....  when you get to the half way stage then you can guage if you can speed up any more

I really reccommend you take a step back in mileage for the moment and get used to your pacing.
10/08/2008 at 17:36
ok. I will try that
10/08/2008 at 17:40

I'm getting a bit confused - you say you're holding the same speed but then say you start fast and have to reduce?  Assuming the latter is true (which is what I suspected) then you're going off too fast which is what is tiring you out.  What pace are you starting out at?

10/08/2008 at 17:46
im only doing 9.5 its logging it at
M...eldy    pirate
10/08/2008 at 17:50
9.30 m/m?  your time is not suggesting that

how are you measuring it?
10/08/2008 at 17:53

with the nike + sensor

Distance 10.02km

Time 1.21

pace 8.07 min/km...sorry my mistake

M...eldy    pirate
10/08/2008 at 17:58
13 m/m
10/08/2008 at 18:00
yeah- when uploaded nike site says  13'04
M...eldy    pirate
10/08/2008 at 18:02
average speed.

what are your splits?
10/08/2008 at 18:05
logs it on the nike site as average speed 14'03 per mile
M...eldy    pirate
10/08/2008 at 18:06
the telling stats will be your splits!
1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.