Shin splints

41 to 43 of 43 messages
15/11/2012 at 14:30

I have had shin splints for well over 2 years now!! I have an appointment with the physio in January. But I'm training for a half marathon and need to keep going... I do quite badly underpronate to which I tried to correct my foot strike and ended up damaging the tendons in my ankle ... So having rested for two weeks now I feel ready to get back to training ... on the plus side the rest has help my shins also ... I am going to try minimalist / barefoot runnig. I was thinking about get a pair of NB minimus zero. Anyone tried or know much about these?

Cheers...

15/11/2012 at 14:39

Luke... to my knowledge that too, can be classed as shin splints... it depends on how the foot pronates as to where the problem will flare in the shin..

Edited: 15/11/2012 at 14:54
20/01/2013 at 10:43
I started running using one of the couch to 5k apps on my phone. Even after the first day run (only a total of 7 minutes) I had tired shins for the entire day after the run. I thought this was because I never ran before. I would get this feeling after every run. It wasn't until I moved to the 5k to 10k app that I started having bigger problems. I got a severe pain in my foot arch, it felt like a small bone was broke in my foot. It was even sore when sitting if I moved my toes back towards my shin.

I went to a podiatrist, he told me they were shin splints, anterior tibialis. He said he could give me orthotics but that would never fix the problem, instead he did a Foot Mobilisation Technique, sort of physiotherapy for feet, this corrected the position of my foot so I won't over pronate.

I am back running now and I don't have any pains in my arch or even the tired feeling in my shin. I recommend looking for a podiatrist that does this and not one trying to make a fortune on orthotics.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 43 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.