Shoe Choice

3 messages
28/06/2013 at 15:59

I'm looking at a couple fo shoes - I'm a heavy runner at  around 17 stone and do roughly around 5km a day. I don't do it quickly but nevertheless.

I've been looking at some Saucony's - I find their 11.5s are a good fit, but is there really much of a difference between 

the Progrid Ride 5, Omni 11 or Hurricane 14 ? Could anyone recomend anything else, I live miles away from anywhere, so shops are difficult to visit 

01/07/2013 at 18:30

Shoes is quite a big subject; many would recommend that you go to a proper running shop, get gait analysed, and buy a pair of recommended training shoes.

Others would disagree, for many reasons, and explain that running form (how we run) is more important than what we wear on our feet; they may also say that there is evidence to show that over-engineered training shoes are bad for us since they have the potential to dramatically change the way nature intended us to run.

For those reasons, I think most people wouldn't give you a specific recommendation.  I'd say just find a pair of shoes that feel comfortable, check out 'how to run' on youtube (to get a gist of what I'm on about), and run.  Listen to your body, if you start to develop problems, stop, and try something different.

01/07/2013 at 20:03

Thanks, makes a lot of sense. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.